German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To shed some light on titer testing, the following is from Page 19 the American Animal Hospital Association's 2003 Canine Vaccine Guidelines under the heading "Serological Tests to Monitor Immunity:"

" <span style="color: #FF0000"> Although the committee does not feel it is necessary to determine titers to these core viruses on an annual basis because of the long minimum DOI [duration of immunity] for these products, titers can be used for your and/or your client's assurance that the animal has immunity. Experience with postvaccination titers for CDV [distemper], CAV [hepatitis], and CPV [parvo] shows that sterile immunity lasts for years...........The primary reason for the test is to ensure that you have a positive test after completing the puppy vaccination series</span>."

From Page 16, " <span style="color: #FF0000"> </span> The MLV [modified live virus (such as distemper, hepatitis, parvo)] vaccines create an immunity that is similar to immunity after an animal recovers from infection[/color]." Further, on Page 17, " <span style="color: #FF0000"> When MLV [modified live virus (such as distemper, hepatitis, parvo)] vaccines are used to immunize a dog, memory cells develop and likely persist for the life of the animal</span>."

If anyone would like copies of the American Animal Hospital Association's Canine Vaccine Guidelines, the 1992 French challenge study demonstrating that dogs were immune to a rabies challenge 5 years after vaccination, the 2003 Italian study documenting fibrosarcomas at the presumed injection sites of rabies vaccines in dogs, as well as Dr. W. Jean Dodds' papers on vaccinal adverse reactions, please e-mail me at <span style="color: #FF0000"> [email protected]</span>.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is what Dr. Ronald Schultz had to say in his 2007 presentation to the AKC Canine Health Foundation entitled,What Everyone Needs to Know About Canine Vaccines and Vaccination Programs:

"An antibody titer no matter how low shows the animal has immunologic memory since memory effector B cells must be present to produce that antibody. Some dogs without antibody are protected from disease because they have T cell memory, that will provide cell mediated immunity (CMI). CMI will not protect from reinfection, but it will prevent disease."

<span style="color: #CC0000"> "My own dogs, those of my children and grandchildren are vaccinated with MLV CDV, CPV-2, CPI, andCAV-2 vaccines once as puppies after the age of 12 weeks. An antibody titer is performedtwo or more weeks later and if found positive our dogs are never again vaccinated. "
</span>

The vaccines in the quote above are CDV (distemper), CPV-2 (parvovirus), CPI (canine parainfluenza), and CAV-2 (hepatitis), and Dr. Ronald Schultz is the Chair of the Department of Pathobiological Sciences at the University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine. His challenge and serological studies on canine vaccines form a large part of the scientific data base upon which the 2003 and 2006 American Animal Hospital Association's Canine Vaccine Guidelines are based, as well as the 2007 World Small Animal Veterinary Association's Vaccine Guidelines.

Duration of Immunity to Canine Vaccines: What We Know and Don't Know, Dr. Ronald Schultz http://www.cedarbayvet.com/duration_of_immunity.htm

b]World Small Animal Veterinary Association 2007 Vaccine Guidelines[/b] http://www.wsava.org/SAC.htm Scroll down to Vaccine Guidelines 2007 (PDF)

The 2003 American Animal Hospital Association's Canine Vaccine Guidelines are accessible online at http://www.leerburg.com/special_report.htm .

The 2006 American Animal Hospital Association's Canine Vaccine Guidelines are downloadable in PDF format at http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocumen...s06Revised.pdf .

Veterinarian, Dr. Robert Rogers,has an excellent presentation on veterinary vaccines at http://www.newvaccinationprotocols.com/

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are Our Pets Being Overvaccinated? Link to Articl

There is an interesting article on veterinary vaccines which you can read in its entirety at the link below.

Are Our Pets Being Overvaccinated, by Melissa Burden, The Press http://www.presspublications.com/pages/specialreports10.asp

(Dr. W. Jean Dodds) <span style="color: #CC0000"> “But there is really no breed that is not at risk,” she said. The only vaccination needed, she asserts, is the rabies vaccine because it is legally required. Dogs’ and cats’ immune systems mature fully at 6 months old, she explained. If canine distemper, feline distemper and parvovirus vaccines are given after 6 months, a pet has immunity for the rest of its life.</span>

(Dr. Robert Rogers) <span style="color: #CC0000">“Dogs and cats no longer need to be vaccinated against distemper, parvo, and feline leukemia every year,” Rogers said. “Once the initial series of puppy or kitten vaccinations and first annual vaccinations are completed, immunity…persists for life. Not only are annual boosters for parvo and distemper unnecessary, they subject the pet to the potential risk of adverse reactions, he added.</span>

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Re: Are Our Pets Being Overvaccinated? Link to Articl

Interesting read. Humans are only required to have a series of shots in their youth and once they are completed, maybe a booster is required 10-14 years later, so why do animals have to have annual vaccinations of the same vaccines throughout their lifetime?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Re: Are Our Pets Being Overvaccinated? Link to Articl

Beause the vets make alot of money on vaccines and to CTA!

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Re: Are Our Pets Being Overvaccinated? Link to Ar

We never questioned this, for so many years. Now all we can hope is access to a vet clinic who understands we wish VERY MINIMAL vaccine protocol! No yearly boosters for everything, each year of an animal's life. I'm in Germany, it is really hard to find a vet who understands I just want to titre Grimm from now on, and do the 3 year rabies only.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Re: Are Our Pets Being Overvaccinated? Link to Ar

The vets push yearly vaccines because they encourage an annual checkup.

I lost one to vaccinosis, not likely to let that happen again.

I searched online, became familiar with Dr. Dodd, and found a vet who understood my concerns, and wanted to share my responsibility, not assume it. I still get vet techs rolling their eyes, but don't care if they do. It's my dog, my wallet, and their mortgage is their problem, not mine!

Big pharma is an uncaring machine, only interested in profits.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Vaccines--Holistic Vet Advocates Alternative

Holistic Vet Advocates Alternative Pet Care http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08162/888634-338.stm
Tuesday, June 10, 2008 By Susan Banks, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

"<span style="color: #CC0000">I think poor nutrition is responsible for a majority of the chronic
disease we see in animals, and [too many] vaccines are a close second."

"When it comes to vaccines, he's of the unwavering opinion that they
are given too often, sometimes causing long-term effects that may not
be immediately apparent. Certain cancers have been linked to vaccines,
and it is thought some autoimmune problems and perhaps seizure
disorders are also triggered by boosters. " </span>

·
Registered
15,888 Posts
Re: Vaccines--Holistic Vet Advocates Alternative

For years, pets went unvaccinated and died of diseases. When vaccines came along, it was hard to get people used to spending money for something like that for a pet. It still is in some places/with some people. I do not think it is malice or greed that is causing the reluctance to change the protocols - I think it is just that people are reluctant to change. There can also be a concern with liability if you go to something new and it doesn't work out. There is also the sad fact that just like medical doctors, vetrinarians cannot keep up with all the changes in their field.

BTW there is no medical need for annual or every three year rabies shots either.

Y'all might find it amusing to hear that I went from a "get those annual shots" to "get a titer test if you must" --- I guess I'm just a zealot!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts