German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is getting hot out there, and I know I am preaching to the choir, but if one person reads this and thinks twice about taking the dog with them, and one dog does not suffer needlessly in a hot car, then it is worth the key-strokes.

I was at WalMart today to pick up a prescription. I passed a car with a dog in it barking his fool head off. The car was white and the windows were more than cracked, so I went on into the store. It was about 1:00. There was trouble at the pharmacy so I had to wait.

But I finally got my drugs and went out, there's the dog again, tongue lolling out, and barking his fool head off. I got into my car cursing. It's after 2 now. I went through hades getting boost 4-11 to hook me up with H&R block rather than WalMart, and had to start all over again, and finally got the store. I told them to make an announcement or something about leaving your dogs in the car on hot days. They asked me the type of car, and I gave them make, model, and license plate number and then left, it was after 2:30.

I do not think the dog is going to die. But I want the owner of the dog to have to leave the store and check on his dog. I WANT him inconvenienced.

We cannot leave our dogs in our back yards or in kennels with no shade. The inside of a car is NOT in the shade. People need to realize that even if the dog doesn't die, they suffer in the heat like that.

Don't love your dog to death. If it is hot out, don't bring the dog if you have to go to the store. It is just not fair to the dog.

Here ya go, go get your snow suit that you used on your last ski-trip. Put it on. Unroll the windows in the car half way. Get in, and stay there for 90 minutes. Comfy?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
can dogs be walked in this heat. i used to walk my dogs in the Las Vegas heat...are there protection measures that need to be taken during walking time as well?

what about the cab of a truck with the windows fully open; the windows are lined with metal mesh to prevent them from getting out (i don't intend on doing this). just curious about it...

·
Registered
31,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can dogs be walked in this heat. i used to walk my dogs in the Las Vegas heat...are there protection measures that need to be taken during walking time as well?

what about the cab of a truck with the windows fully open; the windows are lined with metal mesh to prevent them from getting out (i don't intend on doing this). just curious about it...
I am fortunate, I sweat like crazy and get sun poisoning, so I do not walk or work dogs in the heat of the day. I should say that my dogs are fortunate that I have so much trouble with the sun.

Dogs do not sweat, they pant. Sweat does not help them reduce their body heat. Their double coat does actually help protect them, but it can only do so much. If the dog does not have access to fresh water, and cannot get in some shade, the dog is not going to fare well in heat. this dog was a white spotted dog that did not look to have a double coat. It's tongue was lolling all the way out, and I did not investigate too closely to see if it had water.

I do not understand the need to drag the dog everywhere you go whether they are welcome or not. If the dog has to spend significant time in the vehicle and it is hot, don't go, or don't take the dog.

My dogs do fine if the back is completely open (explorer) windows all the way down, I park in the shade, and the dogs are crated. I still check on them regularly, and only do this for dog shows, if absolutely necessary. If I think it is too hot, I will close the windows and back and put on the AC, and keep the vehicle in sight.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I am fortunate, I sweat like crazy and get sun poisoning, so I do not walk or work dogs in the heat of the day. I should say that my dogs are fortunate that I have so much trouble with the sun.

Dogs do not sweat, they pant. Sweat does not help them reduce their body heat. Their double coat does actually help protect them, but it can only do so much. If the dog does not have access to fresh water, and cannot get in some shade, the dog is not going to fare well in heat. this dog was a white spotted dog that did not look to have a double coat. It's tongue was lolling all the way out, and I did not investigate too closely to see if it had water.

I do not understand the need to drag the dog everywhere you go whether they are welcome or not. If the dog has to spend significant time in the vehicle and it is hot, don't go, or don't take the dog.

My dogs do fine if the back is completely open (explorer) windows all the way down, I park in the shade, and the dogs are crated. I still check on them regularly, and only do this for dog shows, if absolutely necessary. If I think it is too hot, I will close the windows and back and put on the AC, and keep the vehicle in sight.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
My dogs travel in a kennel secured in the back of my truck. I take my dogs with me when I'm going someplace they can go. I don't stop and get something to eat. I don't drop by the store to pick up milk. I don't leave them, even for a 'moment'.

Just for conversation's sake. I had Lonestar kenneled in the back of the truck a few weeks ago. We were going to the lease and it was in the evening. We drove into a storm - the rain was coming down very hard. We waited till we could safely pull over under an over pass, so I could cover his kennel. We found he wasn't wet at all. Maybe a little misty, but certainly not soaked. So don't think because the kennels have air slots in them that your dog will get enough cool air when they are th back of the truck cooking in the sun.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
This is a good reminder, and let me add, living as I do in the chronically overcast maritime Northwest, that just because the sun isn't out doesn't mean you car can't become dangerously hot for you dog.

·
Premium Member
4,733 Posts
well i went to a dog show a few weeks ago and it was really hot, and i did notice that there were a lot of dogs in the back of vehicles (windows open) but was shocked that they were left there.

·
Banned
3,612 Posts
I think you can chalk this sort of thing up to one of two things: the owner doesn't care or the owner doesn't understand how hot it can get in a vehicle and how fast.

Literally it may only be 60'ish degrees, but if the sun is shining on the vehicle and windows are up, it can get so hot so fast.

My boyfriend got in trouble once when he took two of my dogs to the hardware store. I'd been on his case for never doing anything with them, so he was trying to "do good," but he was in the latter group -- he honestly did not realize just how fast it gets hot in a car. He went into the hardware store and wasn't gone long, but when he came out, there was an angry woman who he said read him the riot act.

I don't recall how hot it was that day, but hot enough and the woman was right. I literally had to google stuff about how quickly temps rise in the direct sun and show him. He was really indignant about the woman jumping his case until he saw that.

When it is hot and I take a dog to run to the convenience store, for example, I do roll the windows all the way up, shut the door, lock, and start the car with the remote start so the A/C runs -- even if it's a matter of minutes in the convenience store. I would never go anywhere I couldn't monitor the car, though. Just in case the remote start failed or something wierd.

There are so many cases of human children dying in hot cars... :( It gets very hot here in the summer and there's always a case or two every season.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I think a lot of people mean well and want their dogs to go with them,but they don't realize that sometimes the dogs are better off at home. Now this isn't always the case and some people are just careless and stupid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts