German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in south Texas and the heat of summer is getting really bad. Next week it is supposed to get to over 100 degrees. It is so hot that I can’t walk my 7 month old puppy Ursa during the day because the asphalt is burning hot. In my yard it is too hot to play fetch for more than a few throws or do any other activity that could tire out the puppy. I don’t want to risk heat stroke, but Ursa starts behaving very badly if she does not burn off energy. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can exercise her indoors or in some other way where she would not overheat? Also, I’ve been walking her every evening for over an hour, but she still gets crazy during the day.

Thanks for any suggestions :smile2:

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
We live in FL , just as hot and humid (although its been cool and rainy lately) if not more than Texas so I feel your struggle! My best advice is to get up early before the sun rises and also late in the evening exercise. Flirt pole for a quick work out. And on those days you over slept or its really storming bad teach new tricks, scent games, set up obstacle courses indoors. Also... it is perfectly fine to just let a dog rest for a day, you don't always have to entertain them! What would happen on a day you were sick? Hope they would give you a break! Walmart also sells huge kiddie pools for a couple dollars... fill em up and throw some balls in! Before walks make sure you wet down the inside of the thighs with the hose and also her head to help minimize risk of over heating... always bring with water and take little breaks in the shade. Visit the beach often if you are near by.. make sure you always dry the dog off well after playing in water to prevent yeast and skin issues though. COME ON winter!!!!!! :brrrwinter:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does the door like water? I will sometimes let them play with the water that comes from the hose.

They drink a lot and can cool off, but I don't do it for very long, and it wears them out very quickly. Short bursts of play over the time you can be with them.

For indoor play, with puppies only, I will make a little fort from chairs, tables, and pillows. This contains the play and sets up a ritual so the dog does not get too rambunctious in the home without the fort.

Then I will play tug a war and wrestle with the puppy while they are contained. Also, you can lay down pee pads in the fort.

Just a couple of thoughts. And if I am doing anything wrong, please let me know.

·
Registered
942 Posts
1. Get two identical rope tug toys and play the two toy game inside! That can be really tiresome if you do it somewhat correct!
2. Take all the their food for the entire day and make them work for it be playing games like "find it" (hiding the food throughought a room/house and making puppy search for it) and doing short training sessions constantly throughout the day!
3. Look up a new game or trick to tach your puppy!
4. The past couple days Rollo has loved being in the heat b/c I went to target and bought one of those little plastic kiddie pools and fill it up and he loves playing/splashing in it and laying out in it in the yar!
Hope that helps!

Chuck M.

·
Registered
10,059 Posts
They do seem to acclimate somewhat to the heat. Watch for heat exhaustion: hard panting, hard time to catch their breath, swallowing in between and salivating. This is dangerous. Can you take the pup to airconditioned stores where she is welcome as a pet? Home Depot, local businesses, banks etc. Take your puppy kit with you (paper towels, wet wipes).

·
Super Moderator
4,826 Posts
7 month old pups can get crazy even in perfect weather.

Time to do some trick training. Teach the pup to carry dropped socks to the washing machine. Chuck mentioned hiding food around the house. I've done that, too. I've also put some wet food in plastic bowls (soft plastic, hard will break and crack from chomping) and hidden those around the house. Not only do my dogs find the bowls they bring the empty bowl back to me for yet another treat. (don't teach this game over carpet)

If you have the room I've played simple fetch. The pup lays a few feet from me and I roll a ball. The pup catches it and I encourage them to roll it back. My pup wasn't particularly good at returning a ball by rolling it back. He would try to toss it...with unpredictable aim.

If you don't mind paying a fee, Dognition has tests and games to play with your dog and the results add to their research.

And for sheer mindlessness, I've let my dogs tear up big cardboard boxes...just watch out for tape or staples or housekeepers who may shriek when they see the paper carnage.

If you have hardwood floors you can try "catch the bug" where I slide a bit of kibble across the floor and the pup gets to pounce on it and eat it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As Ganalf suggested, the flirt pole. Does not take long to get a good work out in with one of these. I made mine out of paracord and pvc. Noose on the end for a toy (so I can wash them, they get nasty after a use or two). He loves that thing, I can barely get out the door when I pick it up and his eyes just light up! I love it when he's happy (and tired)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
It is so HOT and muggy outside here too in NC, we only walk at 7am and at 7:30pm!

If stuck inside and he is awake/bored, we...

- review obedience for a few minutes (especially the heel where he has to follow me around, because he still won't do this well in the outside world)

- play hide & seek (I go hide around the corner or another room, I am holding a little piece of cheese for after he finds me)

- roll the ball or throw the stuffy down a long carpeted hallway (he slips on the hardwood and wipes out, ouch).

- give him a chewy, like a bully ring or a frozen Kong (this is a copout, I know...saved for days with bad work deadlines!)

- instead of his normal meal, lay a "kibble trail" that winds around the first floor (I don't do this often because I feel like it invites mice and cockroaches!)

- play tug with an old sheet

·
Registered
62 Posts
i have an open floor plan and maggie is still somewhat small. i use the interactive treat ball and chuck it in the kitchen she gets it and brings it back. after 10 mins she tired. we got 10 days of straight rain. i had to let her run and rough in the house.
i have noticed on hot days she likes the hose and her kiddie pool but prefers to just play with her interactive toys on the house. she might be a tad lazy.... good luck just try to be creative with games he likes to play. and of course all the attention from you they love!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts