German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I love my mother-in-law. A little back story, we have a Siberian Husky that stays at her house. He has been there since he was brought home and is now 6 years old. She loves having him there and actually asked us if he could stay. She has land that he loves to run around on and loves to escape (her property is completely fenced in). Since we have bought our house she has fed him anything and everything to the point of where the vet has told her he is overweight and needs to be put on a diet. That was last year and she has done nothing to change his diet. I want so badly to bring him to our house and to change his diet but I feel like it is cruel to take him from four acres in the country that he can roam to our measly half acre plot in the city. I have tried talking to her and she will not listen. Fast forward to the present.

Baron our GSD is 6 months old and is a perfect weight. He gets fed Fromm Large Breed Puppy with a measured scoop. He is fed half in the morning and half in the evening. I even monitor his treat intake. He never gets "people food", i.e. scraps, and one day I plan to get him on a raw diet, once I've done my research. Every. Single. Time she sees him she makes the statement about how he is so skinny or looks starved. I very calmly tell her that no he is the ideal weight. One time she even said that he is thin towards the back and you can see his rib. I responded with that's how he is supposed to look. It means he is a healthy dog.

I do not mean to complain or be ungrateful because she does so much for us, but I am at my wits end with her comments. Sorry to have vented, lol, but I feel like this forum is the only place where people get where I'm coming from!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yeah that's obnoxious. And you're treading on dangerous territory w her being an in-law. Haha.

But you know what they say about opinions.... ;)

Don't know how open (or closed) she is to facts but I'd try telling her (and showing her) she's quickly cutting time off that husky's life by feeding him the way she is. I'm not the most tactful in the world, though, either.

Another suggestion maybe (not sure how far she is from you) is to offer to pre-baggy his rations for her weekly. That way she knows exactly what to give and when. Label them mon-sun, am and pm. Doesnt get any easier than that (for her!) Haha

Either way, I'm sure it's frustrating for you as you clearly care for this dog...but also want to allow your mom the companionship and the pup his country abode.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Shrug and say the vet thinks he's perfect and he'll probably be skinny like this until he's done growing in 2 year.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just wait till your gs is around 2 years old or hitting that age he will be soooo strong and he won't have the "awkward teenager body" When i got mine he was...14-15 months old I thought he was skinny! He was just like you described your doggie you can see his rib...took him to the vet he is on his perfect weight! He's 19 months old now I can tell he grew up a little bit more and the "awkward teenager body" is GONE. 2 weeks ago went to the vet again they weight him, he still on his perfect weight :) 14-15 months he was weighting...75 pounds now 19 months old he weights 81 pounds! :) Just wait and your sis in law will be like whaaaaaat happen to your dog lol Let us know how the raw diet re-search is going! :D for me sounds very interesting :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah that's obnoxious. And you're treading on dangerous territory w her being an in-law. Haha.

But you know what they say about opinions.... ;)

Don't know how open (or closed) she is to facts but I'd try telling her (and showing her) she's quickly cutting time off that husky's life by feeding him the way she is. I'm not the most tactful in the world, though, either.

Another suggestion maybe (not sure how far she is from you) is to offer to pre-baggy his rations for her weekly. That way she knows exactly what to give and when. Label them mon-sun, am and pm. Doesnt get any easier than that (for her!) Haha

Either way, I'm sure it's frustrating for you as you clearly care for this dog...but also want to allow your mom the companionship and the pup his country abode.
Oh I know lol! The sad thing is the vet told her 2 years ago that he was a 7 on the weight scale and at that point he says something to the owner about putting him on a diet. Nothing has changed. She isn't over feeding him his dog food, of course it isn't the most ideal food for him either. The problem is the amount of treats and leftovers she gives him. She was at our house for the 4th and made the comment about how she cannot get over how skinny he is. He has a lot of filling out to do, yes, but he is not underweight lol. The vet has told me he is perfect weight and when I tell her she just says something like "Really?!" or "Hmmm" lol. I'm just going to laugh off her remarks when she says them just to keep the peace lol. Though she does keep asking if we still do not feed him "scraps" and my reply is firm No and he will not ever get them, lol.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wait till your gs is around 2 years old or hitting that age he will be soooo strong and he won't have the "awkward teenager body" When i got mine he was...14-15 months old I thought he was skinny! He was just like you described your doggie you can see his rib...took him to the vet he is on his perfect weight! He's 19 months old now I can tell he grew up a little bit more and the "awkward teenager body" is GONE. 2 weeks ago went to the vet again they weight him, he still on his perfect weight :) 14-15 months he was weighting...75 pounds now 19 months old he weights 81 pounds! :) Just wait and your sis in law will be like whaaaaaat happen to your dog lol Let us know how the raw diet re-search is going! :D for me sounds very interesting :)

My vet says the same thing. He is actually due to go get weighed again lol And I will definitely let you know how to raw diet goes! It may be a while before we try it out lol I wanna make sure I do as much research as I can lol!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts