German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More and more hotels and resorts are opening their doors to our 4-legged family members.

We found it less stressful planning our vacations to include our 3 dogs, less than worries about family, friends or the popular boarding kennel looking after our pets.

It’s June, you found the perfect place to stay for that well-deserved weeklong vacation to recharge the batteries.

As the date approaches, you are sitting at work, you take a moment and close your eyes to imagine walking along the beach on a cool morning throwing sticks in the waves or exploring small towns and their many hidden treasures and every store has a sign hanging in the window “Dogs Welcome”.

As the time comes to start packing, everyone makes a checklist…

Your dog checklist should include things that they are used to eating and sleeping on, remember dogs are creatures of routine, so bring familiar stuff that will hopefully reduce their stress.
So, pack the same food and treats, leash and collar (spares are handy, we have left many behind), play-time toys and up to date vet records.

Many dogs have been microchipped, if not, you can purchase ID tags or ID tubes that have emergency contact info on them.

The ID tube is a great idea for traveling vacations because you can roll up a piece of paper with travel information.

As fun and enjoyable as it might sound to bring your best friend(s) on vacation with you, some hidden dangers do exist.

Many pet-friendly rooms may have a chocolate and a dog biscuit on the pillow, remember chocolate is not good for dogs.

So, if they dash for the smell of that tasty dog, get there first and remove the chocolate.

The complimentary tea, coffee, human and dog snacks are usually on a table that is low enough for many large breed dogs to explore.

All places take pride in cleaning your room clean, unfortunately, that sometimes means hiding bug traps behind furniture or out of the way places.
Is your dog an explorer? Do a just room check.

Oh yes, other people were in the room before you…
Check around the room and under the bed for dropped pills, sugar-free candies, anything that you would not leave on the floor at home.

Two more things to remember…
the times you decide to leave your dog in your room when you go out, put the “Do Not Disturb” sign on the doorknob, better yet, some places have dog room tags.

Housekeeping will stay away.

You don’t want an accident or your dog escaping from your room.

Leave your cell phone number with the desk staff when you’re not taking our dog with you.

I am not going to list every possible reason they would need to contact you, the obvious one is barking.
Hotels have many strange noises…

elevators, ice makers, strangers walking down the hallway (this is common from dogs that do not live in apartments), airplane noises.

All of these can trigger that protective instinct in German Shepherds to start barking.

We enjoy taking our 3 dogs on vacation with us.

We found it’s a good idea to take a few minutes dog-proof the new environments so we can uncover any hidden dangers.

It makes the trip fun and takes away most of the stress and best of all keeps them safe.

Please share any of your travel tips and experiences with both regular and pet-friendly accommodations.

What’s the best place you have stayed that welcome pets?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,175 Posts
wonderful tips!

One great tip I read if for RV travel. It was to buy the disposable round key tags. The site number and model of the RV can be put on the tag and added to the collar. If the dog scampers out the door of the RV then everyone can easily find out who it needs to be returned to.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
This is awesome, thanks!!

Recently we went to Las Vegas for a few days and didn't take Mei. While there at Mandalay Bay, I find out dogs are welcome. I just assumed they're not unless a service animal so we boarded her. She had a lot of fun there too but I wish I would have done some research about pets before going!

Thanks again, this is great!

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
La Quinta hotels have been the best for us when traveling!

Some have older rooms but they have always been clean.

Pet fee is $20 per night. Some other hotels charge $200 per nite!!!

Various La Quinta's have a weight limit, so make sure you check.

Best thing is when you "join", you earn points to put towards your next stay!

Home 2 Suites also allows pets but expensive: "The pet fee and maximum weight limit vary by hotel. Up to two pets are allowed per room, with a maximum pet fee of $125 non-refundable charge per room/stay."

This is a picture of Quinn (that I made for our breeder) at the hotel when we him brought home last year!
Room Service Please  06-08-18.jpg

Moms :smile2:

·
Registered
712 Posts
A good idea for a thread with some nice advice! I always end up taking the dogs (and the parrot) because I don’t entirely trust boarding kennels, and with three dogs can hardly afford it. They are all great travelers and love going as much as we do! Even my African Grey happily jumps into his travel cage. I’ve found most motels these days allow dogs at very reasonable up charges, around $20 in my experience.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Make sure you leave enough space in the vehicle for the dogs! My first trip with the kids and dogs solo, I packed my car up, packed my kids up, went to grab the dogs and realized I had 6 butts needing seats, but only had 5 seats! Called and rented a van, unpacked my car, repacked the van, and left 3 hours later than planned. Yeah, that was a proud moment in my dog owner life ☹

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
My view is that being a "Good Citizen" when traveling makes it likely hotels will continue to be friendly to big dogs. So my dog is always well behaved in the lobby, we always bag his poop on the property, and we try to be respectful of other guests AND hotel staff. This means leaving a good daily tip to the housekeeping staff too!

I travel with my dog very frequently -- we almost always stay in La Quinta because they aren't currently charging pet fees, they don't have a size limit, and they will take multiple dogs (for the times when all 3 dogs and DH are with me) -- even if the property has limits, when I call ahead and speak to a manager, they always have waived them for us. It helps to be in their rewards program probably (though that's now Wyndham's program, since Wyndham bought La Quinta last year). They nearly always have pet waste stations around the property (with poop bags and easy disposal). Some Holiday Inns and HI Express properties are dog friendly (with a fee, per dog). Sheraton hotels usually allows them with a hefty fee. Some Best Westerns and BW Plus properties allow them, but they generally cap out at 2 dogs so you're possibly out of luck with 3 unless you get the hotel to waive the rule.

If there are ground-floor rooms, I always ask ahead of time for one of those as it makes potty trips so much easier. Two of my three are great in elevators, but one hates the sensation and prefers taking the stairs. It's so much nicer when we can just dash out a side door from a ground-floor room!

Where ever we stay, I always make sure to get a fridge -- the raw-fed dog needs it, and even the kibble-fed ones usually have an open can used for hiding their supplements. I also try to know the independent stores that sell commercial raw in my destinations so that we can re-up easily on arrival, without having to travel with a bunch of frozen food -- I actually call the store a week or so ahead to make sure they have what I want, and if not, have them order it for me to have it waiting. This means there's no stress at all worrying about access to our preferred food.

FWIW, I disagree with leaving your dog unattended in a hotel room even in a crate-- first, the pet policy sometimes forbids it, and second it's honestly rude to other guests if you have no way to know whether your dog is barking while you're gone (and dogs that hear housekeeping carts rolling by and other guests stomping in the hallway probably ARE barking). It drives me nuts to hear dogs barking incessantly in a room when their owners are gone, and IMHO, it's just poor pet manners -- so I don't want mine doing that. I've known hotels that ask people to leave once there's a complaint about the dog barking -- so don't risk it.

So what do you do instead? Plan carefully! My dog is an approved guest at Camp Bow Wow nationwide -- we took care of the "interview"/assessment at the CBW in our home city, so that he'd be in their computer for our trips. If I need to do something during the day (e.g., shop, visit people, sight see, whatever), he can hang out for a full day (or even half a day) at CBW. I know he'll be safe there, and he enjoys other dogs. Sometimes I get him bathed while he's there if he's a little funky from nature adventures, as they usually have pretty good groomers at most CBW franchises. All the franchises have the same set up, so if you know one CBW, you'll know what to expect at all of them.

I have a "travel dog bed" for the hotel. No dogs on hotel furniture or beds in my view, but I want him to have a place of his own.

I keep a list of all the dog-friendly restaurants in my destination, and most of our meals are either eaten on a patio there, or we get take out. He's with me for all my meals, unless he's at CBW. AAA has a good book on traveling with dogs -- including a list of restaurants. BringFido.com is also useful for this planning.

I also travel with a bag of rags and enzyme spray cleaner-- just in case there's an unexpected puking episode or diarrhea that hits out of the blue. Never say never with that stuff! I think it's obnoxious to clean such nasty messes with hotel towels, so I make sure to have my own. I also keep a laundry detergent pod it that bag, so if I need to do a load of dog laundry at the hotel, I can (dog blankets in the car sometimes need washing too on long road trips -- loading up damp dogs after outdoor adventure can leave them gross).

·
Registered
133 Posts
We bring sheets to put on the beds to limit the dog hair on the hotels bedding. Put her in the truck when we need to go into places that don't allow dogs.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
We bring sheets too! ;)

We bring "dog towels" in our overnight bag to put under the water dish since they are slurper's and make a mess! We also keep a few in the back of the car to wipe off the dogs in case it is raining.

We use bottled water instead of local water that they may have a sensitivity to. This could help avoid a diarrhea dilemma!

If you need to refrigerate your dog's food, make sure that the room you book has a mini fridge.

Keep a couple of poop bags in your robe or the pockets of the clothes you are wearing so you won't be caught without one in the middle of the night!

We always ask for a main floor room so that we don't have to run stairs or wait for an elevator in the middle of the night!

A small separate bag for "Dog Stuff", bowls, food, meds, toys, poop bags, extra leash etc.

A small roll of paper towel in our overnight bag seems to always come in handy too!

Moms :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts