German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the heat has started to get warmer I'm wanting some ideas on how to keep my dog cool. He always has access to water, but he pants a lot. Not to where I am worried and want to take him to the vet, but sometimes I feel he pants when he shouldn't need to if that makes sense. Maybe I'm overthinking lol. Since it is shedding season I've been brushing him like crazy. We go outside and play with the water hose and we live near a pond and a river that he likes to go swimming in. The river he'll just go about 4 ft. in. He loves laying on cold tile and I turn a fan on at night just for him because he loves sleeping in front of it. He is not an ice cube lover, he'll just spit it out and lick it. I thought about buying a kiddie pool and filling it with water or ice. Just looking for some suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
262 Posts
There are cooling jackets and collars but I don't think they're necessary for most instances. Maybe FL or LA or TX Summers you need to keep them inside in Air Con and exercise just early and late for a few months

·
Registered
492 Posts
I bring mine in when it's hot and they lay by the air conditioner. One of mine always runs hot and they are both spoiled rotten. If it's too hot for me to be out more than a few minutes I figure it's too hot for them. A bonus for them is that I run hot too so I always keep the house nice and cool.

·
Super Moderator
7,247 Posts
dogs pant because they can’t sweat... you don’t need to worry or run to their aid anymore than if you saw a person sweating. sounds to me like he’s doing what he needs to to cool himself off. he’s panting, laying on cool tiles and taking advantage of water when it’s available. just make sure those things remain available to him...and no forced exercise / exposure to extreme temps / times of day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts