German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. It’s HOT down here. We get about 5 mins of training g before calling it quits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,967 Posts
lol... i immediately thought of “heat” to mean dogs in season... like, how to make sure they’re staying clean, etc. ha.

for the most part, avoiding the heat comes down to gradual acclimation, adjustment of training times (early morning, late at night), shorter sessions, maximizing indoor training when possible (petsmart, home depot), exposure to working/training in all four booties (i like ruffwear), plenty of water (to drink or take a dip in) and a cool surface (tiles, marble, cooling pads), regular grooming (not shaving) and knowing the signs of heat stroke.

a lot of times behaviors that we see as extreme - laying down / seeking shade, heavy panting... are really just normal responses to how dogs cool themselves since they don’t sweat like us.

edit: pad injuries and discomfort due to hot surfaces is a greater concern than heat stroke in my opinion. heat stroke is obviously more serious but also more rare in the context of training (vs hot vehicles).

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol... i immediately thought of “heat” to mean dogs in season... like, how to make sure they’re staying clean, etc. ha.

for the most part, avoiding the heat comes down to gradual acclimation, adjustment of training times (early morning, late at night), shorter sessions, maximizing indoor training when possible (petsmart, home depot), exposure to working/training in all four booties (i like ruffwear), plenty of water (to drink or take a dip in) and a cool surface (tiles, marble, cooling pads), regular grooming (not shaving) and knowing the signs of heat stroke.

a lot of times behaviors that we see as extreme - laying down / seeking shade, heavy panting... are really just normal responses to how dogs cool themselves since they don’t sweat like us.

edit: pad injuries and discomfort due to hot surfaces is a greater concern than heat stroke in my opinion. heat stroke is obviously more serious but also more rare in the context of training (vs hot vehicles).
Lol. Dog colors and being in season. I laughed hard. Although it’s not that funny haha.

But thanks. For the tips. Yes, we’re doing our best. Any reward with a toy and it’s dipped straight into the water bowl. Kiddie pool is my next investment.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Lol. Dog colors and being in season. I laughed hard. Although it’s not that funny haha.

But thanks. For the tips. Yes, we’re doing our best. Any reward with a toy and it’s dipped straight into the water bowl. Kiddie pool is my next investment.

My guy loves splashing in water. Rivers, lakes, puddles, you name it, he loves it. So I got him a kiddie pool because I figured it was the same thing. Nope! He wants nothing to do with it despite me throwing treats and toys in the water. He just fishes whatever it is out and moves on. Oh well. 🙄

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guy loves splashing in water. Rivers, lakes, puddles, you name it, he loves it. So I got him a kiddie pool because I figured it was the same thing. Nope! He wants nothing to do with it despite me throwing treats and toys in the water. He just fishes whatever it is out and moves on. Oh well.
Experienced this with my other dog. They’re complex creatures. Who knows?!?!!!!

·
Registered
848 Posts
I live in Southern Florida and we’re having record heat down here. I have a bi-colored GSD and another dark colored dog. I take my dogs for long walks early in the morning and late at night. You don’t need a jacket and the humidity levels are lower at those times. It’s so peaceful.

I have a fenced-in back yard so I let my dogs out periodically through the day since I’m now working from home. I let them dictate the activity level during the day. And, of course, frequent water breaks.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m waiting on the plastic kiddie pools to show up here and will certainly get one once they do. I think that is the best course and it will add to the fun of training/play time

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'll second a kiddie pool for sure, we have a cheap hard plastic 60" one still works perfect year on year. Seen 15$ ones in Walmart already plus in most of the farm / outdoor stores have them too. I think we just bent it in half to fit it in the car, it was fine. One of my best investments ever! My girl likes to sit down in there for a few moments after a run around, seems to appreciate it a lot!! I make sure I keep it somewhere semi-shaded and check the water isn't getting too hot throughout the day.

My dogs also have access to plenty shade and trees round the back of the house, and they also bury themselves into the cool sand under the deck when it gets too hot. I try to get them inside in the air conditioning as much as possible because I worry, but as long as they have the options like I mentioned they are mostly fine outside all day.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've been letting my dog swim in the river now that it's getting warm ("warm" in Montana = 65 degrees! she's not even black but she pants in 60-degree weather like she's roasting). Her coat holds onto the water like crazy, takes her HOURS to dry, so I don't let her swim all the time. And lately the river levels are going way up so it's rather dangerous to let her in the river.

Still, on our river walk today, she kept peering over the bank every 5 seconds like "can I please swim? please please please?" :) I'd love to get her a kiddie pool.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts