German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I cannot get my 9 week old to take more than a few bites of TOTW High Prairie Puppy he was on at his breeders. Yesterday he would only eat 1/2c over 3 meals.

We have tried moistening, mixing with wet food, adding chicken broth, adding plain yogurt, hand feeding and same result

I bought him Acana Singles LID Beef today and he loves it, but trying to mix it into the old kibble for the 75%-25% is not faring too well

Is there anything I can do to minimize GI distress with a faster switch?

EDIT:
Was just reading about Ca & P levels for LBP’s, This formula has

Ca 1.7 min
P 1.1 min

Is that too high??

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello, the back of the bag should say “ [Pet Food Name] is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for growth/all life stages including growth of large-size dogs (70 lbs or more as an adult) ” if the food is suitable for a large breed puppy. I took a look at the acana singles lid beef and it says it says “ ACANA BEEF AND PUMPKIN RECIPE is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for All Life Stages – except for growth of large breed dogs (70lbs or more as an adult). This means that this food is not suitable for a large breed puppy. Also, yes the 1.7 calcium and 1.1 phosphorus is too high for a large breed puppy, I would look for a food that is lower in calcium and says it is suitable for a large breed puppy on the back of the bag.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
LB puppy formulas are available from Fromm Gold, Diamond Naturals, Wellness, Purina Pro Plan and One, Blue, Nature's Variety/Instinct, Nutrisource, Farmina, Hills, and the usual Mars brands (RC, Nutro, etc.). There are a lot of options, at a lot of different price points.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LB puppy formulas are available from Fromm Gold, Diamond Naturals, Wellness, Purina Pro Plan and One, Blue, Nature's Variety/Instinct, Nutrisource, Farmina, Hills, and the usual Mars brands (RC, Nutro, etc.). There are a lot of options, at a lot of different price points.
Thanks Magwart, I would like to feed a higher quality than TOTW, I wish I could afford raw or something like ZiwiPeak but looking at how much I would have to feed until he's an adult, its just out of our budget. From what Ive read on here Fromm is a good choice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts