German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my oldie to the vet. She has been eating grass and sticky weed whenever she got a chance. Vet put her on one Pepcid Ac a day and voila, grass eating was over immediately. No fancy meds needed.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I have experimented with an occasional Pepcid. I will start a regular regimen. I figured his stomach bothered him, but have not been able to help him.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
My dogs have always eat grass, is there a reason the vet told you that it is not a good thing to do?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona loves grass. She has used it to vomit only twice. Had not considered heartburn. Would love to know why vet said Pepcid.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,794 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I have experimented with an occasional Pepcid. I will start a regular regimen. I figured his stomach bothered him, but have not been able to help him.
Sounds like your baby may benefit from digestive enzymes and a probiotic.
While Pepcid (Famotidine) may be good for an occasional tummy problem, you should consult a vet for long term use. Use caution dosing your dog yourself if he/she has liver, kidney, heart problems, pregnant or nursing. If you see loss of appetite, tiredness, racing pulse, or pale gums, call your vet. If your dog taking any medications, check with your vet before administering. Interactions can occur if a dog is taking metoclopramide, Sucralfate, digoxin, or ketoconazole.
Our dog does not handle hot weather well, and starts eating grass when it gets hot out. Our holistic vet suggested a Chinese herb that we use called “Blood Heat”.
Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
10,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dogs have always eat grass, is there a reason the vet told you that it is not a good thing to do?
He suspected the onset of a stomach ulcer as she sometimes throws up pinkish foam. Ever since one of the kids, whom she had bonded strongly with, left for college she has not been herself, unless he visits home. Then the dog is her happy old self. I asked the vet about this phenomenon and he said that he sees that sometimes. It is so sad that she misses him so much. When he is on Skype this doggy comes over wagging her tail but then goes back to bed. She is 12 years old. Unfortunately he can't take her with him.
I will look into homeopathics.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My dog always eats grass, especially after a meal. It's normal all dogs do it, to my knowledge its good for them and they like it, it relieves their tummy in some way.

In my opinion I don't see a problem with eating grass, unless you have something not healthy on the lawn like fertilizer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts