German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Kane, 8mon., German Shephard/Boxer mix
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 8 month old German Shephard/boxer mix.. he just recently started having serious diarrhea and I had put him on a boiled chicken and rice diet to try to help get him back to normal. In his poo, there are small white specs. They do not appear to move but there is alot of them. Could this be from him possibly having tapeworms? If so how could he have gotten them? I am home with him all day everyday and keep a close eye on him at all times...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Take a stool sample to your vet. They can tell you if they are worms and if so can give you a dewormer that will take care of it quick. They will most likely give a combo of pyrantel and praziquantel to cover most worms. All it takes is the dog swallowing an infected flea to get tapeworm. In my experience, tapeworm segments are usually still moving in the stool, but I vet will be able to quickly confirm if they are worms or not

·
Registered
10,297 Posts
Could be undigested rice.
I second the suggestion to take a stool sample to the vet.
If he has such bad diarrhea I would fast him for at least 24 hours to give his gut a rest and reset.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
My pup is also on chicken and rice and has the white specks. I think it's just rice!

·
Super Moderator
5,281 Posts
Do a fecal check with the vet but don't assume an all clear is actually all clear. Worms can and are missed. I've had it happen to us twice. If those specs move, tell the vet. And yes, your neighbors might think you are odd picking up and staring at pooh but that is part of taking care of our dogs. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts