German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi when i got my two gsd pups at 8 weeks old i was really concerned about their height and weight as Rocky "sable" weighed only 4 kg and Chico "black/tan" just 2 kg they were in a litter of 13 :-/ but they have started to catch up slowly now thankfully, they are now 5 month old Rocky 48 lbs and Chico 46 lbs it has been hard work but so happy with their progress, just wondered if anyone else on here had similar sized pups as they were the smallest i've ever seen but were too cute to pass up on :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmmm... My Lakota seems to be on the smaller side. He is now 14 weeks old and is 15" in height and only 19 lbs. He's been to the vet 3 times now and each time they say he's doing great and there's no need to be concerned. He may just be a "late bloomer" or may very well be just on the smaller side. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. His parents were pretty big. He's my baby no matter what though and I love him w/ every ounce of me. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
According to the GSD approximation charts for height and weight, your pups are right on target!
I believe slow growth is good growth, too big too fast may cause some stress to the skeletal system.
Check out the dogs parents and their size, to get a good guestimate on what your babies will grow to be!
Dogs will grow past a year of age, and also "fill out" with time :) They go through some pretty awkward phases looks wise, lanky, chubby, little heads, big ears, enormous paws, etc...
If it gives you peace...we currently have a GSD rescue who is about 7 months and currently in the 50 pound range. At your pups age he was only in the 30's, and we thought he would be a midget! LOL but he hit a spurt at 6 months and shot up a good 15 pounds and many inches...and he is still growing like crazy!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Bundash. I've been wondering the same thing about my girl. I haven't seen much of a growth spurt in probably a month. However others think it's because I"m with her everyday. I've often wondered if she might not hit a spurt in the next month or two, she's almost 5 months now.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as your vet says they're healthy. We got our two at 9 weeks old. Demon was 17lbs and Angel was 16lbs (and very skinny). Two weeks later Demon is 18.8lbs and Angel is 18.4lbs. Their vet says they're healthy so far and slow growth is always better. Also, it could take up to two years before they're fully grown.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts