German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
An 80# male is a nice medium sized dog according to the breed standard.

·
Registered
51 Posts
He's not mixed, I saw both parents and his siblings, all GSDs. They've only checked for parasites so far, depending on the results they come back tomorrow, I'm planning to request bloodwork or start going to a new vet, maybe one who specializes in nutrition. I have put pumpkin in food, it does help but doesnt firm it up completely.
Try to give her just chicken (not from a can) and rice for a week. Also have her tested for Pancreatitis.
Pancreatitis
refers to the inflammation of the pancreas and is caused by activation of the digestive enzymes within the pancreas due to pancreatic damage or blockage of its outflow duct. This results in pancreatic auto-digestion, whereby the enzymes destroy the pancreatic tissue.

After trying everything else first my vet finally tried that test. (I've been with my vet for over 30 years so she was not charging me for every office visit, just the tests.

He showed positive which explained why he was so skinny and kept losing weight. Mine is a long haired GSD and she doesn't like hugs. She prefers to lean on you so I didn't feel those skinny ribs soon enough.

He is on an enzyme food. It is a powder that you mix with water and added to her kibble. It stopped the diarrhea. He went from 75 pounds to 90 pounds.

Note: He was also delivered with Giardia. So we stated with diarrhea from the beginning. We would get him solid with the chicken and rice but would go back to diarrhea.

He still can eat ANY people food. Even a bit of bread. We put him on a baked kibble which helped as well. Changing kibble is a process. You can add new to old a little at a time (1/4 cup) or you might have diarrhea again.

I bought him from a reputable breeder and her dogs were bred for size, low prey drive and temperament. Even with all the bowel problems I couldn't send him back to get another puppy.

I do hope you find out her problem. It is very hard on their body. Make sure she is drinking plenty of water.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Just an update, Hannibals blood test came back completely normal. So we're looking at a food allergy at this point.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts