German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Recently I got a puppy ... At 8 weeks, he is now 14 weeks and he has bonded to me and my large family very well. Is this normal though, whenever we take him for walks and if someone approaches him (even if it's a calm child, and or adult), he hides behind me and avoids being petted, when he does this, I tell the person; "He's just shy, don't pet him and ignore him."

Another example is, I have introduced my 4 year old nephew to him (very, calm quiet child.), and he use to LOVE him and follow him around when he was 8 weeks, but seeing him again, he was barking, and avoiding him, trotting away, but he did allow him to pet him, and allowed to eat a treat from his hand (didn't grab it and run away), just still avoids?

Is this because the pup is in general timid? Or, he's just going through this phase because he's just a baby still.

What can I do to fix this issue? Do I not allow people to pet him, ignore people and go on with my day. Usually, I always sit in the car with him and let him sit and observe, or sit out side at a cafe and he's completely OK, doesn't bark at people or nothing, just lays down and watches, unless approached he's like; "HAHA, nope" (hides behind me).

I've taken him to the beach too, he LOVES the beach and sand, and doesn't care about all the people around him, UNLESS approached.

Also, he has never bitten anyone when he's like this, ever. He just doesn't want to approach them?

·
Super Moderator
6,296 Posts
He's realized the difference between his family and everybody else.Don't make a big deal over it,stay calm and don't allow people to approach him.Better that he approaches them in his own time.Caution them not to stare at him or reach towards him.That's the hard part!Everyone wants to pet the puppy:)
He may never be approachable but he can learn to be calm and neutral.It's also possible he'll decide strangers are ok after all.Time will tell.Pushing him to interact will make him more anxious.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts