German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone confirm my calculations for me? I realize this is dog dependent but just looking for a rough idea.

If the mother we are waiting for a puppy from goes into heat in the next 1-2 weeks, the puppy would be ready to come home with us around the beginning of February, correct? 9 weeks gestation + at least 8 weeks with mom/litter?

If we were to wait for the next litter from the same dog (assuming she's bred back to back) when would the next litter be ready to go home, based on the average dog's reproductive cycle? I think it would be August. Is this correct?

We are debating whether to wait for the second litter due to our own timeline.

Thanks for any help!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I would say mid February for the first litter.

I think the 2nd litter would probably be closer to November/December maybe even January.

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
Mid February for this litter if she comes into heat in the next 2 weeks (they are not receptive right away). Then, if she comes into heat every 6 months, even when bred, you would be looking at her coming in again around the same time in April. IF they bred her back to back then pups would be ready around the middle of August.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Mid February for this litter if she comes into heat in the next 2 weeks (they are not receptive right away). Then, if she comes into heat every 6 months, even when bred, you would be looking at her coming in again around the same time in April. IF they bred her back to back then pups would be ready around the middle of August.
Wow, I wasn't even close on the second litter!

I thought people frown upon breeding back to back, is that true, what are your thoughts about that?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I thought people frown upon breeding back to back, is that true, what are your thoughts about that?
My understanding is that yes, when possible, most breeders do try to avoid breeding the same female on consecutive heat cycles.

There are reasons to make an exception occasionally -- for example, if a particular highly desirable stud is available only at that time, and it's a choice between breeding the female back-to-back or not using that stud at all -- but as a general matter, consistently breeding the female again and again in rapid succession is the mark of a puppy miller.

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
Breeding back to back depends on the situation. Health wise, a uterus is meant to be pregnant. Ethics wise, that is a whole other kettle of fish. I, personally, don't believe in breeding back to back to back to back for years and years until the female is totally used up. Of course I also only tend to breed my girls 2-3 times, period.

I have considered doing back to back breedings twice. One because of an older male (didn't do it). One because of an aging (biologically) female that I would like to compete with (haven't decided yet since I have yet to find a suitable male).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

We've decided to go with the litter that will be ready to go home in Feb. We're away the last week of Feb so planning to ask the breeder if they will keep our puppy for an extra week or two. I think with everything I've read that this would be beneficial more than anything? More time with familiar adult dogs and potentially other puppies?

·
Super Moderator
5,515 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

We've decided to go with the litter that will be ready to go home in Feb. We're away the last week of Feb so planning to ask the breeder if they will keep our puppy for an extra week or two. I think with everything I've read that this would be beneficial more than anything? More time with familiar adult dogs and potentially other puppies?
I got my latest puppy a couple of weeks later than I could have. He turned 8 weeks when I was at a dog show, then 9 weeks when I was visiting my father in another state. So, I got him when I was done with all my travels. :) Just more time to be crate trained, and more time to hang out with his litter sister.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Elisabeth - I definitely don't mind. We decided to go with Timberline in Caledonia.

Dogfaeries - thanks, that's exactly what I'm hoping for, extra socialization. Crate training must have been a nice bonus too...

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
If your ever in the K-W area please feel free to visit us on a pack walk! We hold them weekly all over the area! :)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Oh, don't worry - we have naughty puppies as well! ;)

We have a wide variety of ages, types, obedience levels, reactivity issues, etc. in our club - what makes it all work is the golden rule - no two dogs shall meet (even when walking) unless both parties okay it. We police that constantly and so do our members. Makes for a peaceful and positive walk for everyone.

Lots of local links on our website as well for training and/or venues. :) From KW to TO.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Older puppies are the BEST!

I got my GSD when he was 11 weeks old and I got my Dal puppy when he was 12 weeks old. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts