German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
vet says it's ok to move roxy off the LBP food ( I used blue buffalo) and go ahead on an adult food ....she's 5 months at the end of the month

what is the general consensus here? Sound about right? I still have half a bag of LBP so I can transition really slow. I want to stay with Blue Buffalo ..so anybody who uses that..what would be the next step up that you would recommend and do you guys move up at this age?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would wait until a yr old. your pup still has lots of growing to do. most adult foods have too much calcium for a growing puppy. from what ive seen vets dont have the best advice in regards to when and what to feed. my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I would wait until a yr old. your pup still has lots of growing to do. most adult foods have too much calcium for a growing puppy. from what ive seen vets dont have the best advice in regards to when and what to feed. my 2 cents.
I agree with this also. Wait closer to a year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My vet recommended that I do the same when my puppy was 4 months and I consulted with my breeder and was informed to wait untill about 5mths. I feed him blue buffalo also i kept the same brand its just the adult breed. The breeder said that he will still grow just at alittle slower rate. he is 5months 1week old and weighs 57lbs. I also give him vitiman c and a multi vitiman once a day and he has treats throught the day.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the breeder said to feed LBP until a year and the vet says now. ???? I love love love my vet but they also promote Science Diet which I won't even touch..so I agree that they might not know the best for feeding stuff. I think I will just kind of wait for a bit and not rock the boat. This bag will last at least a month and then maybe I can slowly over the course of a month or 2 transition.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Breeder suggested us switch to adult food at 4 months. I plan on keeping him on LBP food until he is at least 1. Never ask our vet what she thinks, figure when it comes to food hers wouldn't matter lol :wild:

·
Registered
121 Posts
My vet recommends switching at about 1 year. Kylie is 11.5mo and I just started the transition this week.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Usually I wait until the pup is a year old BUT if you feed a large breed adult food, you shouldn't have any worries. My breeder says she usually keeps the pups on LBP until 6 months old and then switches to adult food. Doing that shouldn't cause any problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts