German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Penny's has a small spot on her neck (just off to the side under her muzzle) where her collar(s) sit (she wears a choke chain 24/7 with her tags on and a flat nylon collar while training or on walks but not while in the house), that the fur has parted/left a bare spot which looks a little red/irritated but its not raw and I was able to touch it and stuff and Penny was not bothered by it.

What happened? Is this just from the collars rubbing on it? If so why isnt it like that all around her neck and just in the one spot? I have both of the collars off right now and I dont plan on putting her choke chain back on going to get rid of it as the risks of having it on just to hold her tags and so she has something on out weigh the pros of not having a flat or leather collar on 24/7 which can mess with their fur.

Its a little hard to keep putting a collar on and off her multiple times a day but would it be better to leave them off unless I need to use them? Will her fur "come back together and fill in the bare spot near the irritation? Also any suggestions on a good collar that will prevent it messing with her fur that I could leave on her all the time?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Sorry none that I know of, I take the collars off at night... I hope you find something that doesn't make her react ...

·
Registered
359 Posts
You could try a rolled leather or rolled nylon collar.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I second a rolled leather collar. Probably not a good idea to leave the collar on 24/7 anyways, especially a choke chain... if she gets hung up on something and you're not around she could get hurt. A former co-worker of mine lost his dog that way... the dog jumped the fence while he was not home, the collar got hooked on the fence as the dog went over, the fence was high & the dog never reached the ground, she died from strangulation :(

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I just had a scary experience with a single dog and a flat hunting collar in his crate. I used to only take off the flat collar when my dogs were outside together unsupervised but he managed to get the metal clasp caught between the crate wires...............Only going to put on the collar now when we go out.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just had a scary experience with a single dog and a flat hunting collar in his crate. I used to only take off the flat collar when my dogs were outside together unsupervised but he managed to get the metal clasp caught between the crate wires...............Only going to put on the collar now when we go out.
I read that thread! I would have been so upset, and am noticing ANY collar poses a risk :( Im going to keep everything off of her while we are in the house and only put her gear on while outside, I do have a bandana on Penny so If I need to "grab" her for whatever reason if she tries to jump on someone or whatever then I have something that wont necessarily harm them she can EASILY slip it off its not tight and doubt if it would even get caught on anything.

Glad your dog is ok though! I wonder how on earth he managed to do that lol

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Rusty always has a naked neck in the house:) I only put collars on when he goes outside & of course when we leave the house. He's not a door dasher so I don't worry about him taking off through the door with no id tags on or leaving the yard. Thought about that a lot but I just don't like collars on in the house.

Not sure about wearing the choke chain 24/7. I would especially worry if she's crated with it on. Dogs get themselves into crazy pickles sometimes.

I'm sure the area on the neck will grow back. Maybe try a leather flat collar instead of the nylon? Like the idea mentioned of the rolled collars as well.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
IMHO collars are too dangerous. The Hooligans haven't been allowed to wear collars for years EXCEPT when we're on vacation ... then they have flat collars with ID information ... no tags or anything hanging from them. Oh, they do wear collars when they're on a leash.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
We only use collars when out. Our dogs are not allowed to play with collars on-ever. We knew a lady with two beautiful huskies who would play on the park--on leads and collars. One husky caught her jaw in the other's collar and both panicked. The owner couldn't seperate them nor was anyone willing to help with what looked like a terrible fight. One of the dogs died and the owner has not been the same.

I was having trouble with my family leaving collars on until we all ran into the huskie's owner and she told us this.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I leave rolled leather collars on 24/7 they are loose enough they can back out of them if need be. :)
The looser it is the more likely something can get caught up on it. Another dogs jaw, fencing, etc. Then any twist and no longer able to back out.....

I have always considered loose collars to be as dangerous as choosing to leave any type of slip or choke collar on unattended.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I always left flat leather collars on with tags, however in the last few months I stopped. Mostly for safety but also for cosmetic reasons I've been more comfortable with them off unless we're going off the property.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
The looser it is the more likely something can get caught up on it. Another dogs jaw, fencing, etc. Then any twist and no longer able to back out.....

I have always considered loose collars to be as dangerous as choosing to leave any type of slip or choke collar on unattended.
:shrug To each his own... and not loose enough to twist....I'd never leave a dog without a collar and tags it has worked for me for over 30 years. When we got our first rescue dog back in the 80's the rolled leather was recommended by the rescue. She showed me how to put it on and how to fit it.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Yep. Collars are dangerous. Not worth the fashion statement. Just a few weeks ago Jack was on a choke because I was about to leash him to go outside. He jumped around in his excitement and got hung up on the front door handle. Scared me to death, as it took several very Looong seconds to free him in his terror. I threw it away as soon as I got him freed.

I put the e-collars on my younger two when we're heading outdoors. Mainly because their id tags are attached to them, and just in case they see something too tempting and try to run off after it (our neighborhood doesn't have fences)...but honestly, none of my dogs are trying to go anywhere I'm not, so I don't even really need those any more.

My senior doesn't even wear a collar any more. You couldn't drag her out of my sight with out her pitching a fit, and she doesn't chase squat.

If we are travelling, though, they will wear their collars in the truck. If there's an accident I want them to have id on.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Mine wear break-away collars with tags. I use martingale or choke on walks only. I have found that break-aways are the perfect alternative for us. I would not leave my dogs alone with a "regular" collar on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts