German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Molly and I spent the last 2 weeks at camp and had a great time. During our little holiday we would jump in the boat every morning and go fishing then stop at the beach for a swim. Out of nowhere while we were cruising one morning she decided to jump out of the boat. Well this scared the
sh-t out of me she totally went under water. I immediately shut the motor off and scooped the heavy monster back into the boat. I always keep her leashed in the boat and hold it but for a split second I let the leash go and sploosh there she goes. This could have been a very bad situation but thankfully she was just a bit stunned. I don't think she would attempt this again but I am not going to chance it. I am currently looking for a good life jacket with handles any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Scary.

I'm going boating this weekend too (Zodiac but we still call it a boat lol). We didn't have it out last year so I'm hoping that Dakota will be ok with it. She will be wearing her life jacket.

Let me tell you a story about dogs and boats.

Way back before the day of life jackets for dogs we had an English Setter who loved boats. She would jump in a boat, any boat all ready to go. One weekend at at cottage the owner of the boat took the teens to an island for a get togehter. Murphy jumped in the boat. We allowed her to go along for the ride. There were two adults in the boat.

The boat returns and no one noticed that Murphy was not with them. They had hit a wake and Murphy went flying out of the boat and no one noticed. We searched for that dog for a long time - we had access to many boats and the neighbours joined in. I really thought we lost Murphy that day. They patrolled the shores calling her name. Then they passed a cottage with two fishermen enjoying the sunset. They heard them calling and said they had found her. She was in their cottage sleeping. She was found on a remote area on the shore. They brought her back to their cottage and was going to take her home with them and call the tags in the morning (we had lots of id on her).

The wife of the driver just tore into her husband for being so careless. After that day Murphy was never allowed in a boat again unless it was with me.

Get a good lifejacket with a handle so you can pull your dog back into the boat. Make sure that it supports the dog's weight. Some size by weight and some size by fit. I had to go up a size for Dakota to match the weight.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What brand of life jacket did you purshase ? Do you like it?

Thank god the pup was found!!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I bought one at a pet fair and it is not the best quality but fits her well and works.

If I were doing a lot of boating I think I would buy the ruffwear brand. The quaility in this one is much better, but double the cost. For our limited boating the one I have will last long enough.

Do a search in the equipment section. Someone bought a foam type of lifejacket, inexpensive and it looks like the dog will remain cool in it. It was not available in Canada and I didn't want to order from the U.S. at the time as shipping/exchange etc. really added up fast.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Forgot to add,

Because of my expereience (dog bouncing out of boat), I would not have her leashed at all. If you need to keep her close hold onto her collar. A leash can become tangled.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How old for wearing a life jacket? Jake is going boating next week? Up to what age do they need to wear one?
I think if you travel in a boat especially at high speeds they should always wear one. If you ever hit something or like what happened to me (JUMPED OUT OF THE BOAT) they can possibly drown.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I think if you travel in a boat especially at high speeds they should always wear one. If you ever hit something or like what happened to me (JUMPED OUT OF THE BOAT) they can possibly drown.

I agree. Right now for Ava I am using the one I had for my Shih-Tzu. It will fit her for another couple weeks. I only put it on her when we have the motor going. If we are just using the trolling motor, I don't have a life jacket on her. Either way, the leash is usually around my wrist or around my ankel.

Petsmart sells life jackets. Not sure of the quality though.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So at what age are they swimming? 6 months????
I am not sure if there is a specific age. I brought Molly to the lake for the first time about a month ago(6mths old) and swimming came naturally with in 2 minutes

·
Registered
641 Posts
ava did a nice doggy paddle this past weekend at the river only took her a few minutes to figure it out.. We were in shallow water to my knees and she could touch if she stood on her hind legs. I kept ahold of the leash though.

I don't think I will ever be comfortable with her not on something like a long leash or lunge line even when she is full grown. Not in our river anyway...maybe the creek.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I was just looking at life jackets at Pet Smart...you can take the dog into the store and be sure it fits. The one I found was about 40bucks. I would never take a dog on boat w/out a life jacket...you never know what can happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you want a life jacket that works fantastically for years without any problem then Ruffwear Float Coat is great, otherwise, if you are looking for something cheap for a small trip then Outward Hound Granby is good!

·
Registered
892 Posts
If you want a life jacket that works fantastically for years without any problem then Ruffwear Float Coat is great, otherwise, if you are looking for something cheap for a small trip then Outward Hound Granby is good!
This thread is 10 years old and the OP has not been active since 2017.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.