German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay guys/girls. I come home each day at noon from work to let my now 7 month old pup out to potty and give him a couple of treats.

If it was up to me, I would come home each day until he was 10 yrs. old cuz I simply love the fellow to death
and I enjoy being with him, having my lunch w/him, etc...

Anywho....no news flash about gas prices...
so...my point is...I HAVE to let go of this "maternity leave" and have him learn to stay at home for 8 hrs. while we both work. He stays in his xpen now in our bedroom. I surely don't trust him alone in the house yet for so long and refuse to leave him outdoors even in a safe xpen (this is south TX
HOT HOT HOT).....soooo, my question is..what can I expect the first couple of days? will he go nuts? he has been home alone in xpen for 6 hrs tops now.

Can I get anyone's advise or heads up? please?
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hi,

We were having the same dilemma, I was going home everyday at lunch and as much as I didn't mind and enjoyed doing it , the gas was getting pretty costly. Bogart is just going on 5 months old and we were worried about leaving him in a crate for 8 hours. We have a huge outdoor kennel but are not comfortable leaving him out there yet. He is doing great though! We started last week and so far, no accidents, he doesn't even seem that much in a hurry to get outside when my boyfriend gets home
I know some people on here think it's cruel to leave them in a crate that long.

I get up early with him and we either play with the ball in the backyard for 1/2 to 45 min or go for a walk , so we make sure he's good and tired before we leave for work. Then he has his usual evening exercise . He doesn't seem to mind at all and is doing very well. He still goes in his crate on his own when he's tired so I figure that's a sign that he doesn't hate being in there

Bogart's Mom

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
It finally dawned on me that Dante and I were sleeping 8 hours at night without him waking me up to go potty...that's when I knew I could stop coming home at lunch.

He was though, crate trained and not in a pen, room or had the run of the house.

·
Registered
27,244 Posts
Its funny, Onyx is crated, six hours max and today when I came home, everyone had come and left again...Onyx was in her crate, but she wasn't locked in. Whenever we leave, she automatically goes into her crate, I dont have to tell her to crate up. I tried last week to leave her out and she chewed up a gameboy. Couple of weeks from now, I am going away for a week,and she will be crated for 8 hours, while DH is at work. I am already stressing over it and really going to miss the dogs:((

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
8 hours really isn't that long if you think about it...normally a person sleeps 8 hours and so does the dog, so I think as long as you can get him some excerize in and plenty of food and water and go potty real well before you leave, then I think all should be ok. Goodluck.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Today was day 2 of being left home alone out of the crate all day for 11 month old Bella! She only "ate" one thing and I decided to blame it on the cat and not worry about it...one My Little Pony had been relocated but no damage done. It went well! We've been doing half days for a few weeks now.

I still go home for lunch daily because I work 5 minutes from home. There have been times I havent been able to get away from the office and so miss out on lunch. I worried and stressed but she did fine. I think you'll find that the pup will be okay and will adjust.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
How's it going? I'm finally leaving mine home all day and I think about her all day and race home to see her! ha!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Originally Posted By: sprzybylHow's it going? I'm finally leaving mine home all day and I think about her all day and race home to see her! ha!
Funny you should ask.. She chewed up the bedspread, chewed up a plactic cup (I was on poop duty for awhile to make sure she had no troubles) she chewed up a brush and a few other things...shes back in the crate for half days! I am not giving up. I am just slowing down. I may have given her freedom too quickly. She did so well for awhile and then I guess she got used to it and realized she might as well have some fun while we were away.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Jennifer I learned the hard way that Rocky was not ready to be left out of his crate also. (DH tried at 6 months) I think we finally stopped crating him when he was 9 months old. We have not had any issues since and have only crated him once when he wasnt feeling good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts