German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally feed Jake at 6am and then again about 4pm, however from time to time he gets sick about 3 or so, I know sometimes if they are hungry this can happen.

I am finding that this is happening more and more....he gags and throws up some bile. Is this really normal and will he grow out of it? He is now 9 months old and I thought that feeding him twice a day is ok.....

Any help or suggestions? I hate seeing him get sick....HELP!

·
Registered
31,989 Posts
Is it possible to give him a third meal about 11am? Have you discussed this with your vet? He might just be a dog that needs to be feed at shorter intervals. Ours get fed about 12 hours apart with not problem.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Does he have access to grass?

My daughters 6 month old has been awakening them doing the same thing @ 5:00 am when they normally don't get up until 6-ish.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Poor Jake! If he is doing this consistantly, i would look into make sure he gets a midday snack, maybe even stretching his dinner back a few hours and dividing it between 3 meals evenly. He could just need a snack though (something to keep his grumbly tummy entertained)

http://k9joy.com/dogarticles/dogfood01conditioning.pdf

This is an article about why feeding a dog the same diet at the exact same time will cause the stomach to "prepare" itself for a meal before you have it ready.

Varying your feeding times might also be something to look into for you.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I would also try feeding him another meal OR give some interactive toy w/treats between meals. I know that kongs are too easy for my dogs to get the treats from, so I use the large purple squirrel dudes...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Premier-Squirrel-Dude-Dog-Toy/dp/images/B001GAQ9RQ/ref=dp_image_z_1_0?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&img=0&color_name=1"]
[/ame]

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Wolfie was vomiting bile in the morning. I changed his feedings. He gets fed at 9:30 am and again at 6 pm. In between meals he gets some green beans. At night before bed he gets a snack.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kira, thanks for the link, interesting.....and make a lot of sense.

At night before bedtime I always give him a stuffed Kong, I guess I will be giving him one during the day instead....and varying his feeding times a little.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts