German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote: http://timberwolforganics.com/PressRelease

Timberwolf Organics New Mill Announcement

Orlando, FL (August 7, 2008) As a leader in the all-natural pet food industry, Timberwolf Organics continually seeks ways to improve the quality of their products. Lately, we have implemented a policy of “Back to the Basics.” When Timberwolf Organics, Inc. was founded and for the first several years, the owner and founder would source the majority of ingredients personally and would actually go into the mills to ensure his formulas were being adhered to. Mark Heyward, CEO and founder admits that, “Over the last 3 - 4 years we have gotten away from our earlier policies and need to get back to what made us great and what made us unique.”

Effective July 18th, Timberwolf Organics is introducing Triple-T Foods, Inc., a Kansas based mill with a reputation for high standards in Quality Control and capacity to meet our growing consumer demand.

“We are excited to be partnering with Triple-T Foods, as they have an outstanding reputation for producing high quality products and will be the first step towards our mission of providing the most nutritious pet food on the market” says Mark Heyward, CEO.

Consumers can be assured that Triple-T Foods, Inc. holds itself to the highest standards. The facility is routinely inspected by the FDA, AIB, USDA and the Kansas Department of Agriculture for quality assurance.

Because Timberwolf cares about the well being of your pet, we suggest you slowly transition your pet’s food from the current product to the product that will be shipping after August 12th, 2008. The formulas of our foods have not changed. However, because the food is being manufactured at a new facility, there may be a slight variation based solely on production methods.

Timberwolf Organics, Inc. is a leader in the all-natural pet food industry. The company currently offers seven dry-food and four wet-food formulas for dogs and one dry-food formula for cats, as well as pet omega oils. Their products are sold globally through a variety of specialty pet food distributors. For more information, please visit the company website at http://www.timberwolforganics.com.

Telephone: 407-877-8779
Fax: 866-796-8814
Email: [email protected]
Huh...

I would love for them to get back on track...but...am verrrry leery of them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ruth, My two LOVE the Orijen also. We just got our first bad a couple of weeks ago and the dogs eat it with gusto. These dogs also get some Honest Kitchen with raw ground sirloin at a separate meal, so to go crazy for this kibble when served alone, really say's something.

Joanna

·
Registered
15,220 Posts
Hate to tell you, but all pet food manufacturer's in the US are subject to inspection by the USDA, FDA, etc. Don't know why this makes them special.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Timberwolf has had their problems with their manufacturing partners first Diamond Pet foods and then Chenago Valley Pet foods.
Timberwolf would not revel either source they said that when it became known Diamond manufactured their food it almost put them out of business. But Chenago Valley wasn't much better both are very large co-packers and both have been involved in quite a few recalls.

At this point I know very little about Triple T Foods but this is a step in the right direction for Timberwolf at least they will tell you who now manufactures their food.

But as stated above I'm sticking with Orijen.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
whatever happened with them? was it just what larry stated above?
I have never fed this but was wondering why people stopped feeding it? It is still sold at the "high end" pet food place here
Just curious

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eh, they didn't respond to questions about where they manufactured, but neither did a lot of places. The real breaking point, I think, for most people was when they changed formulas and didn't notify until (I think I am getting this right) the new bags were printed, then weren't really transparent about that until people started calling them on it.

IF they were to change their formulas back and IF they went back to the way they were in terms of quality--->I would give them a trial or have them as part of the rotation. But I have a feeling they won't be changing their formulas back.

My dogs did extremely well on their foods-all of them-and the variety allowed me to rotate type every 3 months. Now I am doing that, but with different foods, including Orijen...and I don't see any greater results on that than I did on TW.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
The other problem was that their prices went through the roof! Two major price increases in less than a year and then they changed their formula without notifying on top of that! Chama is doing the same as she was on their ORIGINAL formula. But I couldn't feed her the new formulas because they added icky grains to a lot of them!

·
Registered
833 Posts
The biggest problem is that Timberwolf didn't have control of their own manufacturing. They didn't procure their own raw food stuffs they left it up to the co-packer and they didn't do on the line quality control. The only quality control they did was test random bags from shipments from the co-packer.
If you make a pack with the devil more than likely you will pay the price down the road. It's all about QUALITY QUALITY and more QUALITY.

I have said this for quite some time now you have to have control of your manufacturing and buy your own food stuffs and do your own quality control. If you leave it up to someone else they will cut corners to save a dime and it will come back to bite you as it has with Timberwolf.

I started a search for a new food for my pup about a year and a half ago I looked at Timberwolf and said this looks great wrote the company and they wouldn't give me the time of day just a bunch of Madison Avenue marketing nonsense.
So I went with Orijen as they are a family run business and do their own manufacturing buy their own food stuffs locally and do their own quality control and have it checked by an independent firm.
At that time Timberwolf had a hugh loyal following and on this very forum I was soundly critized for choosing Orijen insted of Tmberwolf. But time has bore my choice out.

Hopefully Timberwolf's owner has learned his lesson and gets back to producing a high quality food that we all associte with the Timberwolf brand name.

·
Registered
15,220 Posts
I hope so. I used to be a distributor for their food. Loved it. Customer service was just as dismal to distributors as it was to reg. customers. Non existent. Heck even when we were shorted bags on our order and told we would be credited, it never was. Get tired of paying for something you don't get.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
larry- were you really criticized for choosing orijen...i can't imagine that happening. i do remember you questioning some of TWO's tactics, and some of us defended TWO, but i really can't imagine anyone criticizing orijen...it is an amazing food, no one can deny it.

anyway, even if TWO does get back to their roots, i don't know if i could trust them again...i would LOVE to, and i'm sure mikko would love it too! maybe i'll give them a year or so.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I certainly don't remember anyone criticizing Orijen! In fact, lots of us thought Orijen looked great but had no reason to change at that moment.

At that time TWO had a very loyal following. Many of the dogs on TWO had a history of intestinal issues and everyone was so relieved they had finally found a kibble that worked for their dogs AND came in different varieties. Most of us jumped ship once they changed the ingredients and also once the poor customer service caught up with them (and us!).

For those of us who have been dealing with the delicate gsd digestive system for upwards of 20 years finding a food that are dogs could eat was nothing short of a miracle! And then they ruined it...

·
Registered
833 Posts
The dog food industry is a 16.1 Billion dollar industry. There is a lot of money to made and unfortunatly big business has gotten involved like Nestle-Del Monte-Colgate Palmovie and Proctor and Gamble. Nobody on this forum should think for one minute these corporate conglomorates care more about our dog's than they do the almighty bottom line. Who suffers our dog's they die in the thousands so these corporations can pad their bottom line.

Well along came Timberwolf so it seemed a breath of fresh air the owner had the radical idea of producing a quality dog food and investing his time and money to make sure he made the best food possible.
Well greed good old fashion corporate greed took over. It's a lot easier and much more cost effective to send his formula to a co-packer and tell them to have at it than spending his time purchasing the ingrediants and overseeing the production himself.
We all see the results now he has seen the light again. Hey his sales must have fallen way off for him to go back to his roots and actually roll up his sleeves and put in an honest days work personally overseeing the production of his dog food.

Well now we see another sacred cow begin the downward spiral Canidae. How long will it be before they are involved in a recall?
With Diamond Pet foods now manufacturing their food it's just a matter of time. Ask the owner of Timberwolf about his partnership with Diamond and he'll tell you it was a hugh mistake.
I can't tell you how many people around here that have used Canidae for years and are now completely disallusioned because of the negative effects it's having on their dogs.
A lady that works at the post office said to me a couple of weeks ago your dogs look so good their coats are so shinny and they look so healthy my dogs are having a lot of problems I have been feeding them Canidae for years but lately they have lost their appetitte and their coats are dry and dull. I don't know what to do.they are starting to have health problem I thought it was old age.
Then I told her about this forum and that Canidae had changed for the worse she was devistated.

That was a few weeks ago I seen her today and she switched to Orijen she said it was a miracle that she could actually see a marked improvement in the overall well being of her dogs.

Yes Orijen is expensive Yes Orijen seems to be doing everything right Yes you see immeadiate results. The question you should be asking yourself is how important are your dogs to you. If your not using Orijen what are you waiting for??

·
Registered
15,220 Posts
Yes, but this is nothing new for canidae. They did the same thing about 5 yrs ago, changing the formula and denying it when I had the labels for proof. People in the store where a friend used to buy it were all having problems. They all thought their flea meds weren't working because all the dogs were scratching, coats, etc. Changed from canidae, all was good. Me, my dog was in the vets office within 1 wk of starting the "new" formula for cortisone shots and a yeast infection in his ears plus his hair was falling out. Haven't touched the stuff since. Now I see people complaining about the same thing that they did 5 yrs ago. I'd never trust Canidae again. I have the one male who is 12 that I have to be careful what he eats or he has pretty severe and sudden reactions. Just not worth it to me.

·
Registered
15,220 Posts
I go between Nature's Variety and Taste of the Wild now, mixed with raw.

Vishnu, Duchess, Grace, and Oxana get TOTW Pacific Stream.
Diesel, Jade, Hardy get Nature's Variety. Everyone gets beef mixed in except for V, he's allergic to it. So he gets yogurt, chicken broth, etc mixed in with his.

Puppies are on raw but will be moved over to TOTW as well shortly.

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
I also feed TOTW pacific stream about three times a week to supplement the raw as fish sources are $$ and hard to find around here. I use to feed TWO til they started raising prices~I ordered it directly from them, the local shops don't carry it due to cost. I bought some TOTW bison and gave it for training treats last night, Onyx never got tired of it! Two hours of training and a few chewy treats mixed in but she loved the kibble, too:))

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks for the speedy reply ...

I have a 30 lb. bag of TOTW in my cubboard that I haven't opened, yet. I keep reading horror stories about Diamond and have been hesitating feeding the TOTW, even though the ingredients list reads really, really good. My dog has been in training for a month and they are feeding her Royal Canin. I pick her up tommorrow and plan to start her on the TOTW wetlands that is consuming a whole shelf in my kitchen.
I can't see how TOTW could be worse than Royal Canin!!

I used to feed TWO back in the day, but I don't care too much for the way they skirted around the whole ingredients change issue along with several other problems they seemed to have with customer service. I had an entire case of their canned food delivered that had been crushed open. It stank to high heaven when it was delivered. I took pictures and they said they would send a new case to me and they never did. I know it's just one case of canned dog food, but it wasn't my fault that they food was delivered in such a way that I was unable to feed it...but I still had to pay for it!

I did like the dry food very much for my dogs and hope they get their act together. I might even try them again sometime!

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Originally Posted By: larrydee33

Yes Orijen is expensive Yes Orijen seems to be doing everything right Yes you see immeadiate results. The question you should be asking yourself is how important are your dogs to you. If your not using Orijen what are you waiting for??
...cause Urban Wolf is better
Just joking Larry, just said that because I know you used to feed it, as we did. It is actually my all time favorite food that our dogs were on but talk about expensivE!!!!!! I am a fan of orijen as well, although I noticied that both of our dogs I swear started to feel like ducks on it (or what I imagine a duck to feel like
), I think it was because it was the fish formula and I was also giving them salmon oil..
but it is part of our rotation

Stinks about timberwolf though, I always wanted to try it, and as soon as I found a store around here that sold it everyone quit using it it seems. The bag looked cool anyway

·
Registered
833 Posts
Steph
I just got a new female GSD pup Zara and am actually feeding her Urban Wolf as I feel that Orijen is too high in protein content 42% for a young pup. Talk about expensive Urban Wolf makes Orijen look like it is actually cheap. I'll start the new pup on Orijen large breed puppy formula about 7 months.
You really need a slow growth formula for a new pup nothing better than Urban Wolf. In the 5 weeks I have had her she has doubled in weight. Between now and 7 months she will more than double in weight again. I did the same thing last year with Gunner. I also supplement both dogs with Canine Complete and Salmon oil and have had outstanding results.
When I got the pup the breeder had her on Canidae ALS thank God she was healthy but her coat was dull and coarse and she really didn't have a lot of energy. It took about 3 weeks on Urban Wolf to change that now her coat is real shinny and very soft and she has non stop energy. All the research I did last year paid off again it's just almost unbelieveable what the change to Uban Wolf has done for her overall well being.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts