German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek: We have a tick problem! Rocco is on Advantix II and he has a preventix collar. No problem with the fleas; but the ticks are starting to freak me out. They don't seem to stay on him (I've only found one latched on in 4 months), but they are popping up all around in my house!!!! I'm thinking that he is picking them up outside and dropping them off inside. I'm starting to see them more and more...

What should I do? I feel really bad for him because it makes me want to not hug him or sit next to him...:(

·
Registered
637 Posts
if he has the preventix collar on the ticks are attaching to him outside but dying in your house.. mine use the preventix collar too(and you shouldnt use advantix II with the preventix as you are double dosing the dog and thats not good, just use one or the other)

once the ticks hitch a ride the chemicals in the collar kills them,but sometimes they get in the house by hitching a ride on the dog then you find them inside dying

you can also get Sentry natural Defense natural flea and tick carpet powder. i use that and the preventix collar and both of them combined really helps.. i also use Neem Protect spray which i get on amazon its natural too and works on ticks

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Before you let him back in the house, do a quick tick check. For some reason, ticks love Wiva. All my dogs are on flea/tick preventative, but they love Wiva for some reason. Before I let her back in the house, I pat/work my hands through her fur and do a quick check for ticks. Usually I can just brush a couple off before they have any chance to burrow. It cuts down on rouge ticks in the house.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Buy some food grade diatomaceous earth(you can get it at many farm stores) . It is organic and safe.
Sprinkle it around your yard. That may take the tick population down some.
I would be leary to use other products along with the advantix...make sure they are compatible pesticides(scary!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts