German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea how to get this tick off Steeler. he won't sit still. I think I pulled the body off and the head of the tick didn't come off with it. He has 3 of them on him and I am freaking out. I don't know how to get these off him.

·
Registered
32,042 Posts
Do you use any preventative? I use Advantix.

There are tick removers you can buy at the vet. I'm not sure how to remove them, sure others will.

If he's had ticks on him, and you live in the NE, you should have him checked in about a month for tick diseases. They aren't anything to screw around with.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Where is it on him? If it's not in a too sensitive spot you could put a needle under a lighter and then poke the tick with it. It should come right out. I've had to do it before. It was on the dogs body though, I woudln't do it around the face or ears.

I've never tried this but I heard putting vasoline on it. I heard that it suffocates the ticks.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Often lotion will cause the ticks to release, not always but often. It prevents breathing. I've used Vaseline also.

When you remove the tick from a busy dog, it's difficult. I hear ya!

·
Registered
12,142 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where is it on him? If it's not in a too sensitive spot you could put a needle under a lighter and then poke the tick with it. It should come right out. I've had to do it before. It was on the dogs body though, I woudln't do it around the face or ears.

I've never tried this but I heard putting vasoline on it. I heard that it suffocates the ticks.
ya, I was thinking maybe tooth paste might suffocate it.... I will try vasoline first..... ticks seem to like his legs.. I was to scared to try the match thing. I don't want to hurt him with something hot and yet I don't want the tick in him hurting him either.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
What to avoid

Do not try to:
  • Smother a tick that is stuck to your skin with petroleum jelly, nail polish, gasoline, or rubbing alcohol.
  • Burn the tick while it is stuck to your skin.
Smothering or burning a tick could make it release fluid-which could be infected-into your body and increase your chance of infection.

How To Remove A Tick-Overview

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I live in TX where there are lots of ticks- I use Vectra which has been very effective, but when the occasional tick does bite I saturate a cotton ball with Adams flea and tick spray and hold it on the tick for as long as possible- like 20 -30 seconds- and it kills the tick and it falls off within a few hours. Or if you can't get your dog to let you do that, you can give the tick a good squirt of the stuff and it'll kill it in no time

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my dog is on Frontline. when a tick does get on him
i use tweezers to pull it off. then i clean the area with
alcohol.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Often lotion will cause the ticks to release, not always but often. It prevents breathing. I've used Vaseline also.
Myamom is right do NOT put anything on the tick, no vaseline, no tick repellent, nothing. Do not twist it. Anything you do will increase the odds that it will regurgitate disease into the body.

How To Remove Ticks
How to Remove a Tick: Safely Removing Ticks from Dogs, Cats and other Pets
http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~acarolog/needham/tickgone.htm

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I live in TX where there are lots of ticks- I use Vectra which has been very effective, but when the occasional tick does bite I saturate a cotton ball with Adams flea and tick spray and hold it on the tick for as long as possible- like 20 -30 seconds- and it kills the tick and it falls off within a few hours. Or if you can't get your dog to let you do that, you can give the tick a good squirt of the stuff and it'll kill it in no time
I will have to remember this, thanks. I have been pulling ticks off my dogs for YEARS. About 1/3 of the time I don't get the whole thing but I figure I have ended its effectiveness.
:eek:

·
Registered
135 Posts
What's with the responses to use Frontline or Advantix? I have used both and while it certainly minimizes ticks, in my experience, it by no means eliminated them.

To remove ticks, I use a really good pair of tweezers (CVS), not the standard cheap ones. I usually grab a tiny bit of flesh at the head of the tick and pull that out with the head. My dogs usually don't even wince.

As far as infection, while I'm sure a head left in can get infected, I haven't seen it.

As tempting as needles may be, I would avoid amateur surgery and stick with the professional tweezers that will let you get a good pinch without letting go. They cheap ones tend to not always hold on to the tick or head.

Good luck,
John

·
Registered
215 Posts
When you remove the tick, does it leave a bit of a scab in the place where you pulled out the tick? I'm asking because I pulled one out of my GSD's neck and after disinfecting the area it became kinda scabby. is that normal ?

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
When you remove the tick, does it leave a bit of a scab in the place where you pulled out the tick? I'm asking because I pulled one out of my GSD's neck and after disinfecting the area it became kinda scabby. is that normal ?
Yes
Been pulling half-ticks out of dogs for many years without any repercussions. They eventually heal themselves.
As they have been for millions of years.

·
Registered
32,042 Posts
What's with the responses to use Frontline or Advantix? I have used both and while it certainly minimizes ticks, in my experience, it by no means eliminated them.
What is with my response is that I've never seen a tick on my dog as long as I'm using Advantix. Advantix repels ticks. Frontline Plus does not.

Steeler - You can also pick up Equisect at Tractor Supply. It can be used on dogs. I haven't seen a tick on my horse since I started using that. It is derived from chrysanthemums.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I was removing a tick every 2-3 days with Advantix when the ticks were real bad last Spring. I asked my vet about it and she said in our region (Northern Virginia) Advantix doesn't work as well as Frontline. I guess it depends on your region and the types of ticks in your area. She also said that it doesn't necessarily repel them but discombobulates their pincher, sucker thingys and they fall off. (I am paraphrasing of course :) )

Don't get me wrong, Advantix definitely reduced the number of ticks but by no means eliminated them. We had a ton of ticks this Spring and now into late Fall.

John

1 - 20 of 47 Posts