German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a recent expedition to go herding at a friend's farm in a slightly warmer clime than my home, two of my dogs have come up with Lyme's. Because 2/2 tested positive, I suspect that the other 3 dogs who also accompanied me have been exposed as well. (My friend also tested her dogs today--2 came up with Lyme's, one came up with Erlichia--she knows the problem is significant on her land, so she tests regularly and medicates as needed.)

The friend who I was visiting says she's found out why Frontline doesn't work for her--the neighboring farmers spray their peanut/cotton fields with Fipronil (the active ingredient in Frontline), so the ticks are all immune to it.

She suggested Preventic collars for when I visit.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I live in a warm area and there's indications that Frontline isn't working anymore. I use Vectra because it's effective on mites, mosquitoes, besides ticks and fleas. And I like the applicator. I've used the tick collar in addition when tick season is especially bad.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
From my research, it seems that the active ingredient in Frontline works well for the brown dog tick, which is most prevalent in the South and carries Ehrlichia (sp?) but not Lyme. If you're in the North you have mostly deer ticks, which carry Lyme disease. For those types of ticks, Advantix and Vectra are more effective.

So far as I know there's not a spot-on that protects against ALL varieties of ticks, so you kind of have to pick your poison. (pun intended)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
a friend of mine swears by the preventic collars, I haven't tried them yet tho

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
The friend who I was visiting says she's found out why Frontline doesn't work for her--the neighboring farmers spray their peanut/cotton fields with Fipronil (the active ingredient in Frontline), so the ticks are all immune to it.
Oh wow, that's a very reasonable connection....

Preventic collors do work very well, I use them when on vacation. Not good if your dogs play by biting each others' necks though.

The alternative is Advantix, slightly more toxic, but often more effective.

Frontline does not stop ticks from attaching, only kills them after they do. The collar, technically the same, though I have never found an attached tick with one. Advantix will repel ticks and mosquitos, but you do pay for that in the toxic level, some dogs will react, some don't seem to.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I used Vectra last summer and was very happy with it. Never found a tick on my dogs and our backyard backs right up to a large wooded area so we get fleas and ticks and mosquitos. I had a horrible time with fleas even with the Vectra, but that was due to housing a stray cat in my utility room that was loaded with them. My parents' dogs (in Ashburn, Va) all have Lyme and he still uses Frontline on them, but I think I will get him some Vectra for this summer. He was still finding a few attached ticks with the Frontline. We didn't like Kiltix (made by Advantage) - it didn't seem to work at all.

·
Registered
800 Posts
For those looking for a non-toxic alternative, I have had decent results using this stuff. Search . It's marketed as a bug repellent for taxidermy mounts, but works to repel fleas and ticks as well (although it's not advertised for this purpose). It's nothing more than natural cedar oil and water. You'll need to strain it through a terry cloth towel before pouring it into a pump spray bottle, and cut it again 50% with water. But, you've got to like the smell of cedar because this stuff is potent.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Joey was prescribed Vectra when he had his first vet visit in August. We have a weekend place in Pennsylvania, where there are lots of woods and deer. So far, no problems.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Scarlett got Lyme disease, inspite of being on a topical repellent. I don't know what kind the foster family had used, however. We use Vectra here and have not had a single tick on her in nearly 3 years. We DO get them on us and in the house in the spring, but I think they get in via our clothing, not on Scarlett.

I second the comment about the applicator in Vectra. It is WAY easier to distribute the product correctly with the tip that company uses.

The cost of Vectra and Frontline seems to be about the same...over priced. :p I HATE ticks with a passion and I will pay the going rate to keep them at bay. We also have to spray our property for ticks/mosquitoes/fleas monthly during the summer. This is a buggy place, with all the diseases to go with them...unfortunately.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts