German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such a thing as an effective tick repellent for dogs that really works? I know people can use DEET but I belive that is toxic to dogs. I am going on vacation in August to Michigans Upper Penninsula, and will be hiking in fields and woods a lot. I am hoping to avoid ticks on my dog.

We were on vacation in May and the dog got ticks, which she then brought into the Hotel and they got on me....which totally freaked me out.

I will be using Frontline which did kill the ticks on her back in May, but am hoping for a repellent, because it is difficult and time consuming to pick through her fur every time we get in the car to avoid bringing them into the car and hotel. BTW she is a long coat so it is even harder than normal because she has so much fur..

Any ideas or products that really work?

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
I have been and will always use Advantix!!

Haven't found any ticks on either of my dogs
so far so good

·
Registered
683 Posts
Originally Posted By: littledmcI have been and will always use Advantix!!
so far so good
Advantix works well on dogs, however is VERY toxic to cats. The vet I work at will not sell it to anybody who owns cats because if they were to rub against a dog that had it on, they could die.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Originally Posted By: shepherdmom12
Originally Posted By: littledmcI have been and will always use Advantix!!
so far so good
Advantix works well on dogs, however is VERY toxic to cats. The vet I work at will not sell it to anybody who owns cats because if they were to rub against a dog that had it on, they could die.
I understand that. I don't have cats if I did I would find something else

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have cats, and my dog is never around cats, so that would not be an issue.

Has anyone used K9 Advantix and actually been to somewhere that you know has ticks and it has repelled them?

Does K9 Advantix work as good or better than Frontline Plus if the dog actually gets ticks? I know the Frontline did kill all the ticks before we got home, so I didn't have any in my house.

Are there any sprays that you can use in conjunction with K9 Advantix or Frontline, like I would use a bug spray to keep bugs off of me? Are there any safe and effective for dogs?

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
I take Brady to Borderland park every weekend and he is always
running through a field (with long grasses)
Also my back yard is woods with stuff growing and No sign of any ticks on either of my dogs.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
This spring was the WORST we've ever had with ticks. One day I pulled SIX off my Cocker Spaniel after just an hour out playing in our mostly mowed field.

I like to use non-toxic whenever possible but the stuff I had wasn't cutting it. I ordered the Frontline spray online.

The key is to IGNORE the directions on the Frontline bottle. They say to use 1-2 pumps of spray per pound of body weight and be sure to saturate the coat. And to repeat it every month.

WAAAY too much!! For the Shepherd I used two pumps of the spray bottle at the base of the neck (on top of the dog), mid-line down the back and at the base of the tail - 6 pumps total. I made sure I got it right down to the skin instead just on top of the hair. The Cocker only got 3 pumps (one at each location).

I sprayed them that one time almost TWO MONTHS ago and since then we've only found one tick ... on ME!!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the Frontline spray, does that work differently than the Frontline Plus? I used the stuff that you put between the shoulder blades and it gets into the dogs system. It certainly killed the ticks, but it did nothing to repell them, she had at least 3 attached ticks that I had to pull off, and I found at least 3-4 others that were just crawling on her, and several more in the hotel room.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts