German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After Wolfie coming in the house with three ticks on him the day before, yesterday was tick prevention day in the Wolfie household. I went out and bought a new supply of K9 Advantix and applied it to Wolfie. Next, I went outside, and raked and mowed his area, and cut back the growth that is starting on the tree line of the woods. I sprayed Bio Spot at the edge of the woods where Wolfie likes to do his business. I gave it a good soaking about 10 -15 feet in. Then I put down some organic insecticide that is non toxic and pet safe all over his area where he plays and watered that all in. I let it all dry over the rest of the day and night. Hopefully that will help keep the ticks off of my dog. The ticks are so bad this year already.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
ugh I HATE ticks...they are AWFUL here (and mosquitoes as well). I use advantix II but it doesn't always work. Do you use anything other than the topical for wolfie?

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ugh I HATE ticks...they are AWFUL here (and mosquitoes as well). I use advantix II but it doesn't always work. Do you use anything other than the topical for wolfie?
No I just use the topical. Do you use anything else?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I used to have a natural spray i'd use if we were going out into the woods or tall grass but it gave me headaches (the smell was too strong). I've been trying to find other options.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to have a natural spray i'd use if we were going out into the woods or tall grass but it gave me headaches (the smell was too strong). I've been trying to find other options.
I think I know the spray you are talking about. I used to use it on my other GSD. That and a flea and tick collar. There was no Advantix or Frontline back then. The spray was very strong smelling, and it gave me headache too.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
How did you like the collar? Did you find it helped much? I have a friend who uses one without any other treatments but she also has a yellow lab, so its easy for her to find ticks if they are on him. With the coats on Dakota and Kaiser, by the time I find ticks its too late :(

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How did you like the collar? Did you find it helped much? I have a friend who uses one without any other treatments but she also has a yellow lab, so its easy for her to find ticks if they are on him. With the coats on Dakota and Kaiser, by the time I find ticks its too late :(
I didnt like it at all. It didn't do much, and it left powder all over his fur which really shows on a black dog.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Oh, yes... I have heard about a dog died of piroplasmosis this spring. It is a horrible viral desease carried by ticks, dog doesn't develop immunity to it, so the recurrence is possible, and those who had survived - were left with damaged liver. My dog has allergic reaction to tick's bite, she didn't get up herself for three days last time, didn't eat for four days. I use all three: drops, sprays and a collar. Herbal shampoo. The packages warn of overdose and bad reactions, fingers crossed, my dog didn't have anything so far.

·
Registered
938 Posts
We are deep into tick season here as well. So far the only ones I've seen were Rocky Mountain wood ticks. I keep finding them on Gypsy but never attached. I've brushed a few dead ones out of her fur. Does this mean they are biting her?

Also, a guy at PetCo told me that the cheaper flea and tick meds besides Frontline and Advantix would cause joint problems with long-term use. Is there any truth to this? We're using Advantix anyway because medicine isn't something you should skimp on, but I hadn't heard that one before.

I think I've picked over a dozen ticks off my dog in the past 48 hours...

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I dunno what you mean by identical, to what? I think frontline is prescription? I am anti using it all year though, around here the tick season is done around june, im not gonna apply it after that. We have had 5 ticks on me and 4-5 on Apache this week, I applied frontline a few days ago.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
the guy at petsmart is full of poop.
if you look at the package, you will see that they are identical.
Since I don't use flea products I can't comment on his comment other than most pet store folks know squat..........BUT.........

Generics are not identical to the original. Yes, the active ingredient is but the carrier substances differ and that can have profound effects on distribution and absorption of any drug. I heard some issues early one with generic frontline

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I had my pup in a crate while I flew my rc heli at a field yesterday. I let her out when I was done and found 7 dog ticks crawling on her crate:eek: I found one on me, and had one on me this morning. She has frontline so maybe the ticks got attracted to her but didnt grab on so were crawling all over the crate.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I dunno what you mean by identical, to what? I think frontline is prescription? I am anti using it all year though, around here the tick season is done around june, im not gonna apply it after that. We have had 5 ticks on me and 4-5 on Apache this week, I applied frontline a few days ago.

Frontline you can get without a script. I don't know of any flea/tick that is a script. I didn't need a script for Shasta's frontline. Just told my vet, who has never seen her before, how much she weighed and she got the package for me explained it didn't need a script so she didn't need to see her.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Frontline here is really only working to keep fleas away. I've pulled a couple ticks off Shasta and Dax but none seem to have attached. Though me and my extreme hatred of creepy critters, I'm thoroughly grossed out. makes my skin crawl every time.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I use Revolution. I found a tick on Penny two days ago but it was not attached and was not moving, I torched it anyway and it started to squirm so it obviously wasnt dead maybe mostly? Anyway these things creep me out and I check my dog every time we come in to make sure she is tick free.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
The work dogs all use Frontline but the tracking dogs (at work) all have Preventic collars on also and I have seen great results with those.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts