German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ticks have been AAWWWFFFUUUUULLLLL in my area this year. Just walking from my house to my car to go to work I usually end up with at least 2 crawling on me. My husband got lymes disease this year, so have a few neighbors. Wolf gets Frontline Plus on the regular, but I want to treat the yard with something to help cut down the population. I don't want to use anything too harsh. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Smithie :) I'm willing to try anything!
My vet only sells k9advantix. I really don't want to use that, I've heard about a lot of dogs getting sick, having behavioral issues, and just lots of bad things about it. I tried switching to Certifect before because it was "supposed to be" soooo much better, but Wolf got really lethargic and aggressive on it, so I switched back to Frontline.
We use EcoSmart tick control on the yard. Last year it worked great, but this year I think the populations are just too high, we had such a mild winter, hardly any snow and no very cold.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I'm loving Bucks Mountain parasite dust. Haven't found anything on Rudy in months. It contains neem, with a few other natural ingredients.

I think cedar-cide is a safe spray for the yard.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Neem oil is made from pressing the seeds of neem evergreens. Similar to cedar, it's a bug deterrent. You can apply it as a spray, or add it to your shampoo.

I get a pine tar neem oil soap from the farmers market that helps soothe muscles, makes me smell like a Christmas tree, and keeps the buggers away.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
also search the forum for springtime bug off garlic, beneficial nematodes, and DE or diatomaceous earth!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I am moving to an area where there are ticks. I'm having everything in the yard torn out and trimmed. I also heard that apple cider vinegar in the water helps with the lawn turning yellow from pee and ticks. I will be moving in less then a month..I started the apple cider vinegar just today. I also heard if you spray vinegar on the dog it helps too. I know its not a great smell, but its better then the ticks. I'm using the vinegar spray to. They say it works on people to.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
“Neem Oil” is a very good deterrent but it should be noted as a warning for children and pregnant mothers. Can possibly cause miscarriages.

·
Registered
878 Posts
We;ve been using Vectra 3D, and are happy with it.

We get it from the vet. We purchased 6 doses, and got a coupon to send in for 3 free doses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts