German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's apparently a recently confirmed tick disease in the United States carried by Lone Star Ticks with the ability to trigger food allergies in humans -- specifically an inability to eat beef and pork.

https://grist.org/article/lone-star-ticks-are-a-carnivores-nightmare-and-theyre-just-waking-up/

This makes me wonder if the seeming explosion of dog food allergies to certain proteins (chicken, lamb, beef, etc.) could also have a parasitic component. The exact mechanism in the article is only a problem for primates (like us), but the fact that the link exists at all is astonishing.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
YES --- I mentioned this a while back.

tick and insect borne diseases are NOT simple -- are not simply treated by an anti biotic .

I have at least 20 reference books on this subject and mycoplasma and if anything throwing antibiotics at them
only makes them more stealthy and resistant.

there is an Intelligence to them .

Just added a new title to my collection yesterday - had it in my hands before to preview finally was able to buy it.

the title is Cannabis for Lyme Disease and Related Conditons .

I do have some things to do but will be back with more for sure.

and by the way -- tick control ---- GUINEA HENS !!! tried by one of your eastern seabord states to great success .

I would have them, love them as a wild-pet , but in my case I would be feeding coyotes

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Very disconcerting. I encountered a patient in the hospital a few years ago who had developed an allergy to red meat due to a tick bite -- the first time I had ever heard of such a thing. It worries me as hiking and being in the woods (especially with a dog) is one of my favorite activities. When I lived up east, 2 of the 3 dogs we had at the time got Lyme disease, and that was with preventative measures. Nasty stuff. I never connected the dots to tick bites and dogs with food allergies, but it seems very plausible.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I want to hear more about cannabis as a Lyme disease treatment. I was bitten by a deer tick this morning.
More seriously, I was going to monitor symptoms and call my Dr for antibiotics if needed. I know little about what to actually do that could be helpful.

I have found three lone star ticks so far within about a week, in my house, none of them attached to me or the dog, but it is alarming and I am calling Terminix to add a flea and tick treatment, depending on what options they have. I currently treat Boon with NexGuard but this does nothing for us humans.

My husband says if he develops a meat allergy to pork and beef he will go to Yellowstone and "squeeze the grizzly bear cub". The man loves meat, especially pork.

·
Super Moderator
2,329 Posts
Interesting article.... thanks Magwart.

I'm also worried about the new tick that has shown up on the East Coast (aka NZ Cattle ticks, widespread in Asia already, they have tons of other nicknames). Now that one is officially in North America too....

Carmen, I've never lost a guinea to a coyote (though I have lost a few to hawks). They're agile and fly easily, unlike most chickens/turkeys. Unless you clip their wings or have a weird pen setup, it would be unusual to lose them to ground predators. Lots of poultry people will insist that you should avoid lavender guineas because they're easier targets for hawks, but I haven't noticed a difference.... I have a bunch now and I've owned dozens and dozens over the years. They prefer to roost high in trees and are very fast. Wonderful for insect control (they LOVE ticks), eggs are good quality for human consumption, though smaller than chicken eggs. More people should own guineas, but their shrieks take some getting used to.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I want to hear more about cannabis as a Lyme disease treatment. I was bitten by a deer tick this morning.
More seriously, I was going to monitor symptoms and call my Dr for antibiotics if needed. I know little about what to actually do that could be helpful.

I have found three lone star ticks so far within about a week, in my house, none of them attached to me or the dog, but it is alarming and I am calling Terminix to add a flea and tick treatment, depending on what options they have. I currently treat Boon with NexGuard but this does nothing for us humans.

My husband says if he develops a meat allergy to pork and beef he will go to Yellowstone and "squeeze the grizzly bear cub". The man loves meat, especially pork.
If you are bitten by a tick and have to remove it keep the tick in a zip lock bag in the freezer or in an old prescription pill bottle. They can test the tick for lyme. If the tick isn't a carrier then there would be no need to treat you.
Trust me having to take Doxycycline for 30 days isn't fun. It is prone to upsetting your stomach. You HAVE to wear sun screen all the time and limit sun exposure in general or risk a nasty, nasty sunburn or rash. Not to mention what it does to your GI tract and gut flora. It's not much better for the dogs if they have to have it either.

I was bitten a couple years ago behind my knee. I week later I had a rash. My primary care said without the actual tick to test they like to wait 30 days and antibody test for lyme (it takes 30 day to build detectable antibodies). If positive they treat. But since I had a welt and rash (not quite typical bullseye) and didn't keep the tick he treated. He doesn't like the idea of just throwing doxy at every tick bite without evidence of lyme or other tick desease. Since I already have auto immune inflammatory arthritis he erred on the side of caution.

If you have or develop symptoms certainly an antibiotic is in order. Otherwise I would just consult with your primary care and see what their protocol is. And in the future keep the tick as gross as that sounds.

I pulled one off the dog last night. It's in a pill bottle in alcohol just in case.

I too would be interested in learning about cannibus for tick bourne illness. sounds interesting.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Count me as educated now.. I pulled the deer tick off and flushed it! Next time I will save it for testing, and meanwhile I will wait to see what happens. I marked the date of the bite on a calendar.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Is this a euphemism for suicide by grizzly bear?
It is. I borrowed it from a friend who likes to go to Yellowstone often.

It'd actually be a horrible death. I saw "Grizzly Man" and was struck by what an absolute idiot the guy was, AND what a jerk he was for bringing his girlfriend along.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts