German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to take my dog hiking for 3-4 miles on hiking trails but we ALWAYS get ticks. And not just one or two but my dog usually has 5-10 ticks on him when we are done.

He has a Lyme disease shot and gets nexguard for ticks but they can still be on him until they die so he is safe even if bitten. I’m more worried about them being all over him then getting in our house or on us. I’m wondering if there are any pet safe sprays that can deter the ticks from even going on him???

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Nothing I've tried has worked well. I was still having to pick ticks off my dogs when dousing them with Wondercide.

They do make treated vests the dog can wear that's infused with permethrin.

When we go in the woods during tick season I just accept that I have to spend an hour tick hunting afterward :(

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I haven't found anything that works really well as an actual deterrent other than avoiding heavily tick infested areas which isn't much fun. The after walk tick check is still going to be mandatory during tick season. Ticks are horrible little bugs.

I used Frontline until it didn't work. Went to the Seresto collar until there was a neck reaction after 3 years. The Seresto collar worked pretty well in the beginning although I found it tended to only last the 5 months because my dog really likes being in water. I tried essential oils with no success. I went back to topical treatment. K9 Advantix II. Worked fairly well except for good tick control has to be reapplied every 2 weeks (read the fine print).

Although Lyme disease is the primary disease used in marketing it is by far not the only tick borne disease dogs can acquire from ticks. Ticks also carry Ehrlichiosis, Anaplasmosis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Babesiosis, Bartonellosis, and Hepatozoonosisarry. So please, please don't feel that because your dog has had the Lyme vaccine that your dog is safe from disease. An annual tick disease panel is a must even with preventives and vaccine.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I used Bravecto which killed both ticks and mange but it made him very sick. Now I’m using Vectra which seems to work but is difficult to find. We don’t get a lot of ticks though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't found anything that works really well as an actual deterrent other than avoiding heavily tick infested areas which isn't much fun. The after walk tick check is still going to be mandatory during tick season. Ticks are horrible little bugs.

I used Frontline until it didn't work. Went to the Seresto collar until there was a neck reaction after 3 years. The Seresto collar worked pretty well in the beginning although I found it tended to only last the 5 months because my dog really likes being in water. I tried essential oils with no success. I went back to topical treatment. K9 Advantix II. Worked fairly well except for good tick control has to be reapplied every 2 weeks (read the fine print).

Although Lyme disease is the primary disease used in marketing it is by far not the only tick borne disease dogs can acquire from ticks. Ticks also carry Ehrlichiosis, Anaplasmosis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Babesiosis, Bartonellosis, and Hepatozoonosisarry. So please, please don't feel that because your dog has had the Lyme vaccine that your dog is safe from disease. An annual tick disease panel is a must even with preventives and vaccine.
This is the first I’ve heard about the other diseases.. how would I know if he got one of those??? Are they fairly common or is it rare for your dog to get these?

Also would it be safe to spray myself down with deet or some type of tick repellent or would it be dangerous to my dog if he licked my hand or pants or something? I worry about using any type of chemical around my dog before I kno he will be ok near it

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
This is the first I’ve heard about the other diseases.. how would I know if he got one of those??? Are they fairly common or is it rare for your dog to get these?

Also would it be safe to spray myself down with deet or some type of tick repellent or would it be dangerous to my dog if he licked my hand or pants or something? I worry about using any type of chemical around my dog before I kno he will be ok near it
the heartworm snap test will show for lyme, anaplasmosis and I think also erlichia.

Around here anaplasmosis is pretty common. My younger male has had it more than once. My old dog had it as a young dog but not since. A bunch of my boarders have had it.

When my girl was young I went through a phase where I was trying to prevent ticks naturally and using essential oil spray and these garlic edibles. She was getting ticks like crazy and she tested positive for ALL 3-- lyme, anaplasmosis, and erlichia. She did a full treatment of doxy and never had any more issues from those infections.

In the past few years I've used Vectra, Seresto, Wondercide, and now they are on Nexgard. I quit Vectra because I was still finding engorged living ticks on them and it made them itch where I put it on.

I quit Seresto for the exact same reason. It did absolutely nothing to repel the ticks off their coat, and I was still finding engorged, living ticks. I was swapping out to new Serestos every 3 months and those were my results.

I combined Wondercide with Seresto. No good.

Finally using Nexgard and i have not found a fed, live tick since. I found one tiny, shriveled dead tick that had not fed in the hair on my white dog. Neither dog had any bad effect from the Nexgard. I didn't give it to the old dog.

·
Super Moderator
6,287 Posts
We stick to wide trails or fire roads during the heavy tick seasons.... I also carry a lint roller and run that over him a time or two mid way and at the end of our hikes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

the heartworm snap test will show for lyme, anaplasmosis and I think also erlichia.

Around here anaplasmosis is pretty common. My younger male has had it more than once. My old dog had it as a young dog but not since. A bunch of my boarders have had it.

When my girl was young I went through a phase where I was trying to prevent ticks naturally and using essential oil spray and these garlic edibles. She was getting ticks like crazy and she tested positive for ALL 3-- lyme, anaplasmosis, and erlichia. She did a full treatment of doxy and never had any more issues from those infections.

In the past few years I've used Vectra, Seresto, Wondercide, and now they are on Nexgard. I quit Vectra because I was still finding engorged living ticks on them and it made them itch where I put it on.

I quit Seresto for the exact same reason. It did absolutely nothing to repel the ticks off their coat, and I was still finding engorged, living ticks. I was swapping out to new Serestos every 3 months and those were my results.

I combined Wondercide with Seresto. No good.

Finally using Nexgard and i have not found a fed, live tick since. I found one tiny, shriveled dead tick that had not fed in the hair on my white dog. Neither dog had any bad effect from the Nexgard. I didn't give it to the old dog.
How do you know when your dog has one of these diseases? Did she start acting funny or something? I’m really worried about this now! I’m planning on starting to take him every morning and I’m worried now he might get something and maybe it will go undetected. I live in PA and we have ticks really bad here. Does the nexgard work quick enough to prevent the disease?

·
Super Moderator
6,287 Posts
google tick borne disease symptoms.... it can vary. rashes, vomiting, fever, lameness, joint pain, to name a few. most take 24-48hrs to transmit (keeping in mind that every tick isn’t infected tho, so most bites won’t result in infection)... this is why in addition to any repellent or medication given, physically checking is also imperative.

we don’t have enough of a problem where i live, but i have friends on the east coast that run a tick panel (bloodwork) annually.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
google tick borne disease symptoms.... it can vary. rashes, vomiting, fever, lameness, joint pain, to name a few. most take 24-48hrs to transmit (keeping in mind that every tick isn’t infected tho, so most bites won’t result in infection)... this is why in addition to any repellent or medication given, physically checking is also imperative.

we don’t have enough of a problem where i live, but i have friends on the east coast that run a tick panel (bloodwork) annually.
I’ll have to do that... thanks for the information everyone. This forum can be a god send. My vet had never mentioned any of this to me and I have SPECIFICALLY mentioned tick prevention to her. You would think that as a vet in a high tick area she would’ve mentioned hey your dog can get other stuff than just lyme

·
Registered
1,747 Posts

It's the Snap 4dx test. It tests for heartworm, Lyme, Ehrlichia and Anaplasma which are relatively common.

Depending on your vet it will be done at the annual exam when they check for heartworm. However, there is a single heartworm test so be sure to tell your vet you want to check for tick diseases as well or they may not use the snap 4dx kit. The Snap test cost more. People that don't take their dogs in tick areas or live in areas where ticks aren't an issue don't want to pay for a test they don't need so some vets don't do it as routine.

As for the others I don't know what tests they use. I would ask your vet at your next visit if you should be concerned with testing for things the Snap 4 dx doesn't cover. I would imagine that other tick illnesses not covered by the Snap test are not as common, regional or they are tested for only when your dog is ill and tick illness is suspected or being ruled out as the cause.

I use deet bug spray in the summer months on myself. I've not had any issue with contact with my dog. I do try to let it dry before I have hands on contact with the dog. Dogs have an acute sense of smell and I don't think they are inclined to lick someone smelling of deet. You can also just spray your clothes rather than your actual skin if you are concerned about licking.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
@CatMan900 while knowledge and education is usually a good thing try not to let it stress you out and prevent you from enjoying your dog doing fun outdoor things. It important to be mindful of these things but not stressed over them.

A year ago summer my dog literally walked through a nest of nymph ticks while walking in the woods. By the time we got in the house and I got the leash and other gear put away and went pee my dog had covered the entire house. I started our usual tick check to discover hundreds of nymph ticks in her tail. I couldn't get them all out there were so many. I collected some into a bag for the vet to identify (lone star ticks). I had to go the store to get flea /tick shampoo. Got home and bathed my dog. Discovered nymphs on the guest bed (her bed) and several other places around the house in just a few minutes of looking. Off I went to tractor supply to get Pyrethrin concentrate and a garden sprayer. I had to spray my whole house, change bedding, vacuum everything including my truck ...the whole nine yards. It was a royal pain in the butt. However my dog didn't get sick and her next tick panel was clear. We didn't stop walking in the woods.

I've had times where I'll do a tick check and find nothing only to have my husband hours later say hey what is this and low and behold it's a tick I missed. On the plus side, this past summer we only found 3 ticks all season. We can't live in a bubble. Just do the best we can to prevent what we can within reason.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I spend a lot of time in the woods with one of my dogs. She wears a Seresto collar, and before leaving the house I spray her down with Flea Halt Flea & Tick Spray from Tractor Supply. I've been using this for the past 2.5 years and so far have no complaints. I also spray my clothing down with this before heading out :)

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
It's the Snap 4dx test. It tests for heartworm, Lyme, Ehrlichia and Anaplasma which are relatively common.

Depending on your vet it will be done at the annual exam when they check for heartworm. However, there is a single heartworm test so be sure to tell your vet you want to check for tick diseases as well or they may not use the snap 4dx kit. The Snap test cost more. People that don't take their dogs in tick areas or live in areas where ticks aren't an issue don't want to pay for a test they don't need so some vets don't do it as routine.

As for the others I don't know what tests they use. I would ask your vet at your next visit if you should be concerned with testing for things the Snap 4 dx doesn't cover. I would imagine that other tick illnesses not covered by the Snap test are not as common, regional or they are tested for only when your dog is ill and tick illness is suspected or being ruled out as the cause.

I use deet bug spray in the summer months on myself. I've not had any issue with contact with my dog. I do try to let it dry before I have hands on contact with the dog. Dogs have an acute sense of smell and I don't think they are inclined to lick someone smelling of deet. You can also just spray your clothes rather than your actual skin if you are concerned about licking.
@CatMan900 while knowledge and education is usually a good thing try not to let it stress you out and prevent you from enjoying your dog doing fun outdoor things. It important to be mindful of these things but not stressed over them.

A year ago summer my dog literally walked through a nest of nymph ticks while walking in the woods. By the time we got in the house and I got the leash and other gear put away and went pee my dog had covered the entire house. I started our usual tick check to discover hundreds of nymph ticks in her tail. I couldn't get them all out there were so many. I collected some into a bag for the vet to identify (lone star ticks). I had to go the store to get flea /tick shampoo. Got home and bathed my dog. Discovered nymphs on the guest bed (her bed) and several other places around the house in just a few minutes of looking. Off I went to tractor supply to get Pyrethrin concentrate and a garden sprayer. I had to spray my whole house, change bedding, vacuum everything including my truck ...the whole nine yards. It was a royal pain in the butt. However my dog didn't get sick and her next tick panel was clear. We didn't stop walking in the woods.

I've had times where I'll do a tick check and find nothing only to have my husband hours later say hey what is this and low and behold it's a tick I missed. On the plus side, this past summer we only found 3 ticks all season. We can't live in a bubble. Just do the best we can to prevent what we can within reason.
This sounds like a Stephen King movie!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I didn't know such a thing were possible.
Me either until it happened. Vet said she likely ran her tail through a nest of freshly hatched larvae. I misspoke when I said they were nymphs. They were larvae. Vet identified them under a magnifying glass. I knew they were ticks just couldn't tell what type. Nobody wants a few hundred of them on their dog or in their house. We seem to specialize in the unusual, uncommon, one in a million events...LOL!

·
Registered
748 Posts

A friend of mine was walking through a typical suburban neighborhood on the sidewalk at night years ago. In some areas there aren't any lights. So she couldn't see very well. A branch of tree (or bush) scraped the top of her head. When she got back there was, in her words, "a nest of ticks," in her hair. Freaked her out. She was on anti biotics for a while. To this day, when she thinks about it, she can still feel those things crawling on her head.

I can feel when 1 is crawling up my leg...I can't imagine a "nest" of them on my head. I'm not scared of snakes or rats or spiders. But, cockroaches and ticks...freak the **** out of me.

·
Registered
729 Posts
A friend of mine was walking through a typical suburban neighborhood on the sidewalk at night years ago. In some areas there aren't any lights. So she couldn't see very well. A branch of tree (or bush) scraped the top of her head. When she got back there was, in her words, "a nest of ticks," in her hair. Freaked her out. She was on anti biotics for a while. To this day, when she thinks about it, she can still feel those things crawling on her head.

I can feel when 1 is crawling up my leg...I can't imagine a "nest" of them on my head. I'm not scared of snakes or rats or spiders. But, cockroaches and ticks...freak the **** out of me.

Revolting! Thank goodness for Canadian winters, we get a few months relief at least!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts