German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bringing Titon in for minimally invasive surgery on Thursday. He bloated for the 5th time since he was 10 weeks hold and this time was by far the worse. The previous times didn't seem to bother him all that much as he only farted and that was it. This time I was up with him all through the night last night whining, farting, burping, spraying liquid all over my bed sheets, etc. Constant trips outside to stand on his front paws while doing rear end raises helped him I guess.

I know some of you will slam me for not bringing him in to the ER Vet and that's okay. Why? Well the vet was on speed dial throughout the night and I used a home-made tube to force down his throat to relieve the air. I nearly died from the stench. :sick:

Vet wants him to come in Thursday morning for stomach tacking. At that time we'll do dew claw removal and neuter though I'm second guessing the neuter part right now seeing as he is 14 months old.

I don't ever plan to breed Titon and that's the only hold up with getting his papers is having his neutered. Anyone that knows my story knows its not going to be easy to get his papers anyways any time soon. I may just skip the whole idea of neutering. Thoughts?

-E

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i think its good you're having his stomach tacked. i dont think at this point it would hurt to have him neutered. Would save you some money in the long run. I think the fact that you're having it done gives points. good luck.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Sounds like a good idea to tact the stomach, I don't know much about bloating (besides the signs to watch for, what to use until I get to an ERvet) but if he has bloated that many times in such a short period of time.. I think I would be thinking along the same lines as you..

The neuter.. that's your decision. I personally won't neuter my male (21 months old) because I believe it's healthier to keep him intact. He's not a breeding dog by any means (love the boy, but not breed worthy at all!) but I think they need those hormones for more than just reproduction.. again, your decision to make. What is best for your dog?

I wish you luck with the surgury and will send good vibes!

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Well he will already be under, I would ask tho how long the tacking takes then the neuter. I would worry about how long he was out. It has been my understanding that GSD do not take being put under very well.

As far as his age it is really your choice, my breeder said to wait until at least 18 mo but longer if possible.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I would go with the neuter - the thinking that bloat is genetic or seen in lines - and if he's been doing this since a puppy - it would be criminal to allow that kind of health issue to continue on if heaven forbid he should nab someone on accident.

There is no real difference in the four months. He will be under already. If you are having the surgeries done with a surgeon, where they will monitor him under anesthesia, do the bloodwork in advance, check his clotting (as a GSD) and use an appropriate type of anesthetic - if something is going to go wrong in the larger surgery anyway (like if he bloated/torsed enough to have some necrotic tissue) then the neuter won't be to blame.

And of course he can still bloat after the surgery. I would talk to the vet about ways to help him if he does, so that he isn't in the pain that he was likely in during these episodes and so that he doesn't go into shock, etc. I always ask myself - if this were me - and I couldn't talk - would I want someone to take me to the doctor for help.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Is it not "rare" for puppies to bloat?
I have not seen or heard of one so young, having problems with bloating.....?!.thank God.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Why the dew claw removal?? If they are on the front, they are needed, IMO.
Did you give Titon gas-x when he was full of gas?
Maybe what he is eating is not agreeing with him?

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Is it not "rare" for puppies to bloat?
I have not seen or heard of one so young, having problems with bloating.....?!.thank God.
My vet office did the GDV surgery on an 8 week old Basset Hound.

But not a good indicator I am sure - and I am betting pretty rare since it generally becomes more common as they get older.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
neuter please, if you are showing him or breeding him then you want to make sure there are never any "accidents".
The only thing I would ask is the recovery time for the tacking and a neuter at the same time. It might stress him out. But If he had that much bloat trouble I would definitely not breed him ever.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Good Luck!! Sorry for your and your dog's troubles. Don't understand the dew claw removal though.
But that's none of my business.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Our vet performs the gastropexy along with spay or neuter all the time. I don't think it is uncommon to combine both procedures. He is a "fast" surgeon. If I were planning on doing both, I think I would probably do them at the same time to avoid another time under anesthesia.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I would say neuter him now. If he's going under anyway, get as much done at one time as you can. In the long run, it will be less stressful to only have to go through this one time.
I know there is a lot of debate on the age to neuter. I can only speak from my experience, but we neutered Gunnar at 6 months, per our rescue contract and he has had no issues. He's 3 1/2 now and was weighed last week at 91lbs.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not stupid. I know dogs need the front dew claws. Titon has the floppy rear ones that do him no good and could tear off anytime with how active he is.

Secondly, I think most of you missed the fact that Titon is having MINIMALLY INVASIVE SURGERY, which only requires an inch cut for the scopes so healing time is lessened. Doc says 7-10 days. I am paying more for this method that the old way of slicing them open fully.

It can't be the food because he does this on both kibble and raw. I just think he has a genetic factor involved here.

I didn't need to use Gas-x as I did the tube method to relieve the air build-up.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Erich, why take such a defensive tone? You never said which dewclaws were being removed. Usually the breeder will remove the rears(if there are any) at birth, so removal of the front ones were assumed.
You ask for "thoughts", you get some~ then you say your "not stupid". I don't think one person here ever thought you were!!

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Just want to add that I hope things go well Thursday and the recovery is smooth!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Question is What are you feeding your dog? Is he allowed to drink heavily following a meal? Dogs shouldn't be fed till at least an hour after activity and have no real activity for an hour following a meal

GSDs need a quiet enviro while eating~a focused slow eater is less likely to bloat...Is is food bowl raised?Are other dogs in house and he feels his food is threatened?
On the few occasions my boy does eat in a hurried way I BURP him ~rubbing back and stomach and giving firm pats just as if burping a child

I would hope all these questions have been considered and a esophageal issue has been ruled out as well

Dew Claw removal?
Neutering~Pro Neuter/Spay ~I am working Daily to help save GSDs in Kill Shelters
Yours seems to have perhaps a genetic situation and we need to keep the purest healthiest Gene Pool going for Our Breed~
but I would if you can afford to do it in 2 separate visits

Stomach tacking is to me like mopping the floor but forgetting to turn overflowing water off.Not finding the "REAL ISSUE" The fewer unnecessary surgeries the better for you babe

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My Question is What are you feeding your dog? Is he allowed to drink heavily following a meal? Dogs shouldn't be fed till at least an hour after activity and have no real activity for an hour following a meal

He loves water. There's no stopping that part of his personality. I don't let him eat after we've played for almost 2 hours. Same with drinking water. Titon eats Nature's Variety Lamb Kibble. When my supplier has raw boxes of Nature Variety, I feed that as well.

GSDs need a quiet enviro while eating~a focused slow eater is less likely to bloat...Is is food bowl raised?Are other dogs in house and he feels his food is threatened?

No other dogs in house. Bowl is NOT raised. Guess I'm going to have to have the wife ship me his slow-eating bowl with the bumps in the middle to slow him down again.

On the few occasions my boy does eat in a hurried way I BURP him ~rubbing back and stomach and giving firm pats just as if burping a child

I would hope all these questions have been considered and a esophageal issue has been ruled out as well

Dew Claw removal?

Rear floppy dew-claws like I've explained previously. Need a picture
Neutering~Pro Neuter/Spay ~I am working Daily to help save GSDs in Kill Shelters
Yours seems to have perhaps a genetic situation and we need to keep the purest healthiest Gene Pool going for Our Breed~

Thank you but my boy and I have no desire to breed. So my purebred German Shepherd isn't considered healthy and pure? Awesome. Thank you for the analysis having never met him nor seen him.

but I would if you can afford to do it in 2 separate visits

Stomach tacking is to me like mopping the floor but forgetting to turn overflowing water off.Not finding the "REAL ISSUE" The fewer unnecessary surgeries the better for you babe
What do you suggest is the REAL ISSUE then Dr? Please enlighten me with what you think it is.

I really hate posting on this board now. Geezus...

-E

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Someone is trying to offer you helpful information - you should consider taking it in the way it is intended.

So yes, more diagnostics prior to the surgery may help - if they get in there and find something else going on, it would help the surgeons be prepared, or if there are things they haven't looked at and do the tack and then find out he has something up with his upper GI tract...after the fact...

If this were a healthy dog who bloated once, maybe not so important. But given his health and treatment history, people are asking good questions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts