German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody has a thundershirt for their dog? I have a collie that is extremely anxious in the car and was thinking of buying one for her. If not does has anyone got any tips for calming an extremely anxious fearful dog in the car. I have been working with her in the car since February and she is not getting any less anxious. I started with just sitting in a stationery car with treats for a few days, then I moved onto quick five minute trips. She started agility classes in March which is about 20 minutes away in the car and buy the time we get there she is extremely anxious.

·
Registered
295 Posts
is she anxious when the car gets moving or even when the car is stopped? if she's reacting to the motion she sees through the window you could try putting a kennel in the car and covering it completely with a blanket. this could make her more anxious but if she simply doesn't want to see the world zipping by then it might help.

other than that I would keep up the feeding treats, maybe you could have a friend drive for quick trips while you stay with her in the back seats. don't molly coddle but let her see happy & calm in the car and keep up the delicious treats

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is she anxious when the car gets moving or even when the car is stopped? if she's reacting to the motion she sees through the window you could try putting a kennel in the car and covering it completely with a blanket. this could make her more anxious but if she simply doesn't want to see the world zipping by then it might help.

other than that I would keep up the feeding treats, maybe you could have a friend drive for quick trips while you stay with her in the back seats. don't molly coddle but let her see happy & calm in the car and keep up the delicious treats
Thank you for replying so quickly. She reacts even when the car isn't moving. She doesn't even like walking past the car in the driveway. She isn't crate trained so I think that a kennel might make her more anxious. I do actually sit in the back with her but she has gotten so anxious now that she won't take treats anymore.

I'm thinking of ordering a thundershirt for her and I'll see if that helps.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I was wondering if anybody has a thundershirt for their dog? I have a collie that is extremely anxious in the car and was thinking of buying one for her. If not does has anyone got any tips for calming an extremely anxious fearful dog in the car. I have been working with her in the car since February and she is not getting any less anxious. I started with just sitting in a stationery car with treats for a few days, then I moved onto quick five minute trips. She started agility classes in March which is about 20 minutes away in the car and buy the time we get there she is extremely anxious.
My dog has a thundershirt. It really helps. Make sure it is very tight.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hey Axel 13 -- it's Mom2Melli! I recognize the post from SN. I haven't tried the thundershirt -- it's the only thing I haven't actually tried for my insanely carsick sheltie girl. She is SO bad she drools before we even get to the car. Many have tried the thundershirt with great success, including my own dog trainer who used it on an Aussie of hers. It's worth a try.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
Just had my friends come by this weekend. They tried a three point harness for a trip cross country and there dog flipped out 200 miles from home! Did not like the harness and went crawling under the dash crazy!

They got a Thunder shirt and while the dog is not back to normal it did allow them to continue there cross country trip!

Like most things it depends on the dog but there does seem to be proven value in it for the most part.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Does anyone have experience using the thundershirts for thunder?
I haven't tried the Thundershirt on my girl who is scared of thunder. She is a 7 year old rescue and we found out she was scared when the first thunderstorm hit and she crawled all 92 lbs of her up on my husbands lap.

What we found works really well is to pop in a loud movie. (we have a surround sound system) Independence day or LOTR2 both work really well. Big loud fight scenes going on. She settles down with us in front of the T.V. Luckily the power has not gone out yet during one of those storms.

Unless they eat it like mine did
Haha I think you should probably supervise the first few times wearing it to make sure they don't eat it. :)

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Haha I think you should probably supervise the first few times wearing it to make sure they don't eat it. :)
Oh he was. He was fine for about a month. I used it when he was in the crate and showing signs of separation anxiety. It did work until he decided he didn't need it anymore. The same dog also can't keep a collar on for the life of him.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thundershirt & Harness

Big waste of $. I read on here someone uses Gentle Leader, love mine. If someone wants that stupid shirt thing Ive got one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts