German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There!

In the last week the pup has gotten hiccups for brief periods of time. Doesn't usually correspond to eating or drinking. Is this normal?

Also his crate is lined with newspaper and he frequent sits and tears it all up making a huge mess. I am concerned this might be boredom related? We are spending 3 hours + a day with him on and off, letting him sleep when he lies down etc.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I know when we brought our puppy home at 9 weeks he had hiccups more than once a day which when we asked the vet is normal, she also said that it can last until they are about 8 months old. Link is now 6 months old and maybe gets hiccups every 2 weeks. I would put a blanket or towel in the crate instead. We never put paper in but I know he doesn't chew the towel or blankets. We also always have at least one toy in there.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Welcome to puppyhood!

They shred papers because it is FUN!!!! I call my 11 week old a "German Shredder".

If I have a "shredder" they get to sleep on the bare crate bottom. You could try a towel or blanket, but dont' be surprised if he shreds it too. The problem with shredders is that they sometimes decide EAT what they are shredding which is NOT good.

My puppy usually has the hiccups at least a couple of times a day. Every puppy I have ever had has done the smae thing and they all have grown out of it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome thanks for the confirmation. I love this place and come here and read 3-4 times a day. Everyone is so supportive. Fantastic thanks.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Baron had the hicupps alot too but he hasn't had them lately and he's 6 months now. He also was a "German shredder" as Tracy put it, and he got the bare plastic bottom in the box too. Being first time puppy owners we went out and bought this really cool mat for the bottom of his pen. It even had little pictures of bones on it. next morning it was peed on and DESTROYED. That was when reality set in.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Mines not so much a shredder but she's def a hiccup-er

I leave at least a raw hide and another toy in the crate with her. sometimes she goes in with the door open and plops down and chews away. See if a toy will help?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts