German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I always went outside with my puppy during any storms to get him familiar with the sounds. And he's fine with them, despite my incredible fear of strong winds, lol.

I mentioned this just a few minutes ago in another thread: DH's dog used to be petrified of thunder but after our neighbor set off a bunch of fireworks last year (frightening her terribly) and me going outside at the time yelling, "Bang bang, wheee!" with my puppy joining me outside while this was happening, she's no longer afraid of them - a year later, and several storms later, but she's fine now.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Years ago when I had Cheyenne & Chazzy, Chazzy was afraid of thunder and other things we adopted her at 6 months old, she used to hid in the bathroom when my husband watched football, as soon as she heard the crowds in the background, run and hide in the bathroom.
Years go by we bring Apache home, he learned from her and has successfully taught Kiya & Lakota to hide in the bathroom. Apache is so bad all you have to do is say "it's gonna rain" and he starts to worry.
When Lakota was a baby I thought she was even going to get Kiya out of the bathroom, I was wrong all 3 hide in the bathroom.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Our first GSD knew several hours, before we did, that a storm was coming. She use to pull me to the closet where I kept "Her Medicine" (items below), sit down, and wait for me to give it to her! :laugh:
The Tranquil Complex stinks and is bitter when you open the capsules, so I would mix it with raw hamburger or turkey for her. Don't know how big your dogs are but she was 85# and I'd give her 3 if it was a bad storm and then repeat it several hours later.
The "Fear & Stress" is a homeopathic that works with the body. It's a liquid. You can squirt 2 droppers-full into their mouth every 15 minutes if needed. You cannot overdose on this.....it's a different type of way to use nature based plants and other items.

I just spoke to a girl last night who rescued a Min-Pin from a hoarder. Spent 3 months on the opposite side of the training building from other dogs and people. She got a "Thunder Shirt" (little guy had it on at class last night) and said that she "would pay 1 million dollars" for this shirt if she has to get another one!!!! It made THAT much difference for him! He still can't look another dog in the face, but was sitting in a chair in front of our 2 GSD's last night!

Tranquil Complex: Tranquil Complex 60 Capsules by Professional Formulas 60 capsules: $23.10 This is a human grade, professional product.

Fear & Stress (A Homeopathic Remedy) Liquid purchased from Natural Rearing NaturalRearing.com :: Loading Website...

Hope this helps your babies! :)

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
When Lakota was a baby I thought she was even going to get Kiya out of the bathroom, I was wrong all 3 hide in the bathroom.
Aww, poor doggies. That's what I was worried about: that DH's dog would project her fears onto my puppy. It did seem to work out the opposite though, where she's no longer afraid of storms. But who knows what sets them off? It could be the noise, or it could be the electromagnetic radiation - in which case, what does that feel like? And what does thunder sound like when your hearing is so much keener? I do feel bad for them when it's obviously so stressful for them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts