German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
When I put it on my dog he seemed fine, but when I left him he freaked out more than ever. He moved these extremely heavy quad ramps away from the back gate, ripped off a 4X4 that was nailed to the gate to prevent it from opening, ripped the handle clean off the gate that was screwed in a way to prevent it from opening, and escaped.

I'm pretty sure they have a money back guarantee though so it might not hurt to try.

·
Registered
646 Posts
i have neighbors and friends who swear by it...we also live close to quantico va and there are alot of military testings going on that shake our houses with big explosions..im lucky my dogs arent scared...i saw you can buy them at petsmart so i guess you could try it and then return if it dosent help your dog?

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I wonder if people are conditioning their dogs to relax with the Thundershirt? I would not get one and then put it on for thunderstorms. One could actually end up causing the thundershirt to be an anxiety trigger in itself.

If I had a dog with issues, I think I would get a Thundershirt and begin regular relaxation conditioning with it, use other relaxation triggers such as Through A Dog's Ear CD, aromatherapy, etc. I would do pharmacotherapy in an extreme case as I have seen andiety respond really well to meds. With such a multi-prong approach and time spent conditioning, there could be real hope for improvement. I don't think of the thundershirt as a miracle though the commercial sort of portrays it that way. Just putting it on for upsetting events probably not so effective for many.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I conditioned properly, which is essential. I have one old man who, without the vest, barks and pants and paces during thunderstorms. With it on he's fine. He's a bit cuddly on the big booms, but he's not visibly anxious.
My severe SA rescue shows minimal improvement with it on, but when you compare a one-time $28 for a vest that helps a little bit to a $35 a month prescription that drugs your dog and barely works at all, I go with the natural, cheaper option. Where are you looking that you're finding it for $40? Yikes... shop around, I got my 80lb dog-sized one locally for under $30.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I fortunately have not had to pay a lot for meds. They have been non-drugging and downright life changing for the dogs!

But, other things warrant being given a good chance to work. Not all dogs respond the same way to specific modalities. Least invasive first could be a good start.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Like with any thing- it works great for some dogs and others not so much.. Only way to know is buy it and try it..

·
Banned
3,612 Posts
Glad you made this post. Tucker does *NOT* like thunder, come to find out. I am worried about what he might do if we get a thunderstorm during the week day and I'm gone.

Our last one was in the middle of the night. I had to lay on the floor beside his kennel to get him to calm down.

I have no idea how to condition a dog to thunder. None of my other dogs are bothered by it. A little antsy with bad lightning storms, but no big deal.

That shirt is $40 here also. I almost bought it, but just couldn't afford another "experiment."

?? Curious to see the comments on this thread. Pros and cons, as well as any advice on conditioning even.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I haven't purchased one,but my neighbor's dog wears one and it's helped her some. It hasn't been a great improvement though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Spend your $40 on a vet visit and ask for a prescription of Xanax. Not kidding. We prescribe it at my office for dogs that have issues with storms, fireworks, etc. This includes my 10 year old GSD who we have tried everything on for his anxiety with storms. It used to be vets gave a RX for acepromazine which basically would just sedate the pup, but Xanax does not sedate them, it just calms them (like it does for people). It has been wonderful for London (and us lol) now he acts like nothing is happening rather than panting, pacing and just being all out miserable. It is cheap too, I think I paid $12 for 30 pills and at 95lbs London just takes 1mg pill and is good for hours.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Spend your $40 on a vet visit and ask for a prescription of Xanax. Not kidding. We prescribe it at my office for dogs that have issues with storms, fireworks, etc. This includes my 10 year old GSD who we have tried everything on for his anxiety with storms. It used to be vets gave a RX for acepromazine which basically would just sedate the pup, but Xanax does not sedate them, it just calms them (like it does for people). It has been wonderful for London (and us lol) now he acts like nothing is happening rather than panting, pacing and just being all out miserable. It is cheap too, I think I paid $12 for 30 pills and at 95lbs London just takes 1mg pill and is good for hours.
I tried that for the first time last year, with Koda, & he was a bit more excitable, (hyper), but it seemed to help with his anxiety. I will be going that route again this year. I meet with my vet on Friday. My female, Rory, has become increasingly more anxious with fireworks, when they didn't used to bother her, but I don't know how much is her anxiety, or feeding off of Koda's anxiety. I'll be talking to my vet about possibly giving her the medication as well.

I didn't like the Ace, because it sedated him physically, but he was still aware of what was going on around him, & was still freaked out.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
It does come with a 30 day money back guarantee, so why not try it. It helps chance if I don't use it too much, only when he gets extremely upset, then when I put it on, he comes and snuggles with me. However, if I use it too much, it looses its effectiveness. Trial and error.

·
Banned
3,612 Posts
Might consider this.

do you have a need for one or is it a gadget buy?
when my dog was a pup i made sure he was out
in all kinds of weather.
The real problem is when you didn't have the dog as a pup to do these things. :( The dog showing the thunderstorm fear in my case was left outside, so left to deal with it on his own. Maybe that's why he has such panic now?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's something to try to see if the thundershirt might work--or maybe this will, like it did for Annie. I found one of my granddaughter's outgrown 4T tank tops in the laundry room and put that on her. Fit just right--better than a tee because of the larger neck. It really seemed to help, and for years she has been just crazy-terrified about thunderstorms and fireworks. Now she hears thunder and heads for the closet where I keep her shirt. She is MUCH better. I agree iof you have a pup get them used to all kinds of weather, but if your dogs are rescues from who-knows-what environment and they're adult when you get them, you have to think of some other answer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He despises putting shirts, towels etc on

so from previous experience, i think it will aggravate the anxiety...

ill pass haha, but thanks for the valuable information. I live in Florida and thunderstorms are daily.

Ive seen that treats play a good part in helping him cope with them. High Value treats like beef hot dogs and steak bits.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts