German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this? Not sure if I can trust the mixed online reviews. Seems it must

be coupled with conditioned intense training.

My rescue has decided it's exciting to bark and act all aggressive and stupid even while

riding in the truck cab (not even close to other dogs). Her brain flies out the window

when she decides to go all dramatic. Around the farm, she's a great dog and usually

obeys and listens but out in public she's becoming a drama queen.

·
Super Moderator
4,680 Posts
never tried one or known anyone who has. It might work in the truck, when you can't really stop and do corrections and re directions. Out on a walk it might make her even more nervous. A good training mentor who can see what happens during walks would give you the best bang for your buck.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sort of know what needs to be done on the walks. Baby steps at a far distance from dogs and work our way up

closer until she's reactive. At least that seems to be what most online trainers suggest. I can't do the training

very easily as I'm still a little
mobility challenged from a broken femur. So my adult son has been taking her out

once or twice per week on trails, in public places, truck rides, etc. He re-directs her immediately on walks,

but it's not really correcting or eliminating the behavior. But now that she's escalated to reacting from the truck cab-

when she spots a dog quietly walking w/ his owner- it's getting ridiculous. Yesterday, he just cupped his hand over

her eyes as he passed a dog and owner out walking. It worked, but that's not really a good solution.

I'm convinced she's a mix of GSD and some hard headed, obstinate breed- maybe husky. My son's 2 Huskies were

like this when they were young. Very challenging to train. Not at all like my past GSD who "wanted" to obey.

Thanks for your idea of a mentor/trainer.

·
Super Moderator
4,680 Posts
That does make it tough, not being able to get out. I hope you heal well and quickly.

Reactivity can be tricky. That is why it is good to have someone see what happens. It is hard to see the mistakes we make in timing, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts