German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my german shepherd is three months old, ive been feeding her this food idk what its called for about three days now, but it has red colored food in it, about an hour ago she puked some of it up it looked like blood at first but i looked and it is more of a pinkish red it looks like her red food chewed up, does anyone know why she could be puking it up?
thanks!

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I was told that changes in food should be made gradually. You need to transition your puppy into the new food. Just curious, did you buy the food and toss the bag or did someone give you the food? Just wondering why you don't know what is it. Only asking because knowing what kind of food it is will help people give you their opinions. Hope your little one feels better soon.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
If she's normal weight and acting healthy, don't worry about one vomit session.

BUT make sure you keep her quiet for awhile after eating. You may want to make sure to feed her smaller meals 2 or 3 times a day, NOT just one big meal.

Keep an eye on her, is there diahrea too?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a change in food because we just got her. and i dont know the food because i didnt buy it my roomate did.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Also, try to buy the best food you can afford. Most of the grocery store brands aren't that good. (Purina One is ok if you only have the grocery store to go to). Otherwise if you look in the puppy section here there are other recommendations. Though we all have to balance what we can afford with what we give.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
Rest her tummy, no food or water for at least 12 hours and then just limit her a small amount of water. If she keeps that down, give her cooked chicken and double boiled rice for a couple few meals, then slowly add in a good quality kibble.
Take her to the vet if she continues to throw up. Food shouldn't cause more than a few hours of barf(if you've rested the system) It may be more than the food transition.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Holly, I always use cooked chicken and rice when Mac's stomach is upset and he has never thrown in up. I hope you have the same luck.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
She's a pup could she have eaten something? When switching foods you have to do it slow using only about 1/4 new kibble to 3/4 whatever kibble they were eating. It takes about a month to do the switch right so keep that in mind. I second fasting her for today and giving only water and a little cooked rice tomorrow afternoon and evening. You also need to look at the bag of food so you know what your feeding your dog- thats kinda important:)

I don't know what your financial situation is or what kind of pet stores you have access to, but look into higher quality kibbles in your budget like 4health found at tractor supply, or Kirkland foods found at Costco. Orijen, Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Acana, and Natural Balance are also good foods though slightly more expensive. Do you know what type of food she was eating before you got her? If not call and find out so you can buy a big bag of that and slowly switch to whatever you ultimately want to feed:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i will call and find out tomorrow.
and i dont have acess to any big stores i live in the middle of the desert [[my husband is a marine]] so i will try to find one of those foods.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Back when I was feeding kibble I ran out and my husband picked up a store brand...Mac gobbled it down like it was candy but then puked it up later. Someone advised me to try the chicken & rice...thats how I actually started feeding raw...but thats a different thread :)

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
If you have a tractor supply nearby, they carry a few brands that are better than grocery store kibble. Their 4Health isn't that awful if you can't access other brands. Pups need a lower calcium/phosphorus food for proper growth and these two have it:
Orijen, Wellness super5mix large breed puppy if you can either one of those(order online) it would be the best. I hope she feels better soon!

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
It sounds like your puppy is eating a food like Beneful or Kibbles & Bits...(they have colored pieces of food).....?!
If it's Kibbles & Bits...they have "chewy bits"...kinda like play dough for kids....BAD STUFF! ..don't feed it.
If she continues to throw up...please take her to the vet. Puppies have the tendency to eat anything...and an "obstruction" in their bowel can happen.
Watch for throwing up the water he/she is drinking also.....
Let us know how he/she is doing...

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
It sounds like your puppy is eating a food like Beneful or Kibbles & Bits...(they have colored pieces of food).....?!
If it's Kibbles & Bits...they have "chewy bits"...kinda like play dough for kids....BAD STUFF! ..don't feed it.
If she continues to throw up...please take her to the vet. Puppies have the tendency to eat anything...and an "obstruction" in their bowel can happen.
Watch for throwing up the water he/she is drinking also.....
Let us know how he/she is doing...
It was Kibbles & Bits that Mac threw up on.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
hollysmommy, there is a raw/BARF forum here, & will answer your questions about rawfeeding.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
what do you mean feeding him raw foods?
We feed Mac raw meat instead of kibble. There is a whole section in the forums which talks about raw if you're interested in learning more about it. I don't know how to insert links sorry.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts