German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup threw up some white foam a couple of days ago, my dogs have done that a couple of times I believe when they're hungry or something upsets their stomachs.

She ate normally and yesterday morning she threw up a bit of foam again. She was acting normally so later I offered her food which she gladly ate. In the afternoon I saw she had vomited some of her food (I feed her raw), but other than that nothing out of the ordinary.
Again, I waited to see how she was doing and at night I offered her food and she ate as she usually does.
This morning I saw she had vomited again and I saw there was a big piece of chicken skin that she probably didn't digest. The day before I had given her only skinless leg quarters in the morning and skinless chicken breast at night, so the skin probably was from the day before that, when she was throwing up a bit of foam. She didn't have diarrhea but her poop was runny.
She was playing and all but I noticed she was shaking her head a bit, and when I tried to check one of her ears she whined and ran off.
This morning she ate too, about at 8 am, and just a bit ago, around 3 pm, she had vomited a bit of her food again.
She has been eating raw for almost 2 weeks without an issue.

I'm waiting for someone to give me a ride to the vet, cause I can't drive due to a sprained ankle, but can an ear infection cause vomiting?

I'm assuming it can, since when I myself get nausea at least whenever I get an ear infection.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I just read in a book that throwing up white foam could be a sign of bloat. Are you excercising your puppy a hour after she or he has eaten or excercising the puppy sooner than that?

I don't think this is caused by the ear infection and if this is bloat, you need to get the puppy to the vet, pronto.

I hope everything will be okay and some more experienced members will comment.

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
Karlo use to barf in the early morning when he was a pup. This was after I put him on two meals a day(rawfed). I started giving him a midnight snack and that really helped get him thru the night without throwing up.
Not sure an ear infection will cause barfing, it has never happened to my dogs and Onyx is the master of ear infections.
Never say never, but I've never heard of a puppy bloating, it is usually mature dogs that bloat.
I would get a vet check for sure, and put her on cooked chicken and double boiled rice for a few days, along with some probiotics and digestive enzymes. IF the vet puts her on antibiotics make sure you give the probi's a few hours after the antibiotics are administered.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replying!!!

I've just came back from the vet. She wasn't bloating nor had an ear infection, but she does have a cough and appears to have an upset tummy.
When I was asked what I fed her, I was advised against it, because the raw meat here in Mexico can have different bacteria or not be as regulated as in the US and was recommended to give her Royal Canine Intestinal for one week at least.
Her blood test showed normal levels and she doesn't have a fever.
Anyway the vet prescribed some meds for the upset tummy and a syrup and antibiotic for the cough.

ok, we're both so tired now, having sit at the vet's office for almost 3 hours is not really fun. :(
At least I feel a bit more relieved now, I immediately get all paranoid about bloat and stuff.

DAMMIT!! I seriously do not want to go back to trying kibble after kibble! *cry*

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I seriously doubt she'll eat the kibble tonight if she got used to raw, especially since they're all hungry and whining (it's already past their usual dinner time).

If she doesn't and I were to feed her boiled chicken and rice at least for now, should I boil them together? What's double boiled rice?

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
Ruth, I don't think many vets will tell you its ok to feed raw, though in Mexico, I would be leary if the regulations on meat aren't strict.
If you freeze the meat, that should kill any bacteria so the meat should be safe?
How old is your pup? I would give human grade vitamin C (500mg) a day and up it over a week or two to 1000mg split between meals you can go as high as 2000, but a young pup may not be able to tolerate that, if your pup is over 6-8 mos it should be ok for the higher dosage.
C helps support the immune system and is a natural antihistamine, too.
As far as the rice, yes just cook it longer so there is more moisture in it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for replying, onyx!!

I do freeze the meat, since I buy you could say "in bulk" most of them stay at least a week frozen. And my freezer turns everything into an iceberg, even after a day everything is frozen solid as a rock!

My pup is 14 months old.

I used to give them canned pumpkin in case they got upset tummies, but I ran out and haven't been able to find more. Not easy to find here. :(
Thanks for the Vitamin C tip!

ok, didn't have time to boil the rice, I don't even think I have any! But I did boil half a chicken breast to give it to her for now.
It does seem too dry, she might not eat it considering she also has a cough. Do you think I could pour some yogurt on it?
Natural of course, I have one with lactobacills too.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I did give her half of the half boiled chicken breast mixed with yogurt and she devoured it.

And she also ran and stole my mini Poodle's raw food. Go figure.

Let's see how she does tonight and tomorrow!!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And today she's as if nothing ever happened. She was hungry and I gave her half a chicken breast (boiled, skinless, boneless) mixed with a tablespoon of natural yogurt with lactobacillus. She ate happily and was still hungry so she stole a bit of her mom's ground beef. :crazy:

Her poop this morning was still a bit runny but a lot firmer. She hasn't vomited again and she's been playing and being her usual happy self.

I haven't even given her any of the medicines I got from the vet yet! I will when I give her some more boiled chicken in the afternoon with no yogurt this time.

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
I'm glad she's feeling better!

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I am no expert but if you feel the raw meat in Mexico is not safe it might be better to just cook instead of going back to kibble. I just read a good book recommended by another member, raw and natural nutrition for dogs by Lew Olson. It does touch on cooked if that is what you will need to do.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aw, thanks, Onyx! Yeah, she's definitely better.

vat, thank you! I'm really considering cooked food now. But that brings me back to the beginning...

Are cooked raws really balanced? My dogs won't get the benefit of chewing on raw bones. :(

Maybe I could do half cooked half raw??

ARRGH, so complicated!! :cry:

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
I still think freezing will kill the bacteria. What else is in the meat that you have to worry about?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Freezing does kill the bacteria so if your worried about bacteria I would go that route. However, if a bacteria was causing the vomiting she would still be throwing up probably so maybe she just had an upset tummy and because you continued to feed it kept her ill?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Onyx, I'm mostly worried about Salmonella in chicken and E.coli in beef, for example. :(

I have been doing a bit of research and we're supposed to be an aviar Salmonella free country, so I guess the chicken is safe. I still have to check, but I do recall seeing the packages I buy have some sort of "inspected" stamp.

Which leaves me with beef. I actually feel this one is riskier. Maybe I could cook the beef and give them the chicken raw?

Zoey's mom, I think that was the case. If I had let her system rest a bit maybe she would have stopped vomiting sooner though.
If I think about it, I kinda blame the skin I left on some chicken quarters I gave them, and that I started adding ground beef to their meals, and the night before she started vomiting the food I gave her more of the beef. Probably it was too much for her stomach, poor thing. :(

Then are we sure that freezing kills any bacteria? Should I keep the meat frozen for a certain time to make sure of it?

Thank you again, I really appreciate your help!!

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
E-coli and salmonella can happen in kibble as well. We very seldom hear of dogs getting sick from them because they have enzymes that break down the bad bacteria and their digestive tract is short and faster than human so it doesn't sit in the body long.
I would freeze all your meat for a week or so, just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You're right, I have heard of more cases of food contamination in kibble than in raw meat.
I will certainly do that, onyx! If can freeze them longer I will too.

I was just checking the kind of meat I buy for my dogs, and apparentlt teh supermarket where I buy them only sells certified inspected meat that's free of pathogens. Well, at least that's what the website says, I still have to go and check by myself and ask around.

Apparently the high risk here is in small local marketplaces where there's no control on the meat quality, because there are too many. But a big supermarket should be different, at least I hope so!

Thanks so much for putting up with my latest paranoia, onyx!! You're awesome!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, so far she's been doing great. How long should I keep her on this boiled chicken and rice diet?

She's been on it since last night, so maybe just tonight and tomorrow go back to raw?
Or should I continue at least one more day?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Updating to say that the vet just diagnosed my baby with kidney failure and she was hospitalized.

So I guess that was the cause of all this, not really just tummy issues. :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts