German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I had some concerns about my 14 month old GSD.
-About a week ago he started not wanting to eat his breakfast but we'd hear his stomach gurgling. With some coaxing he would eat, just very slowly (versus the 45 seconds it used to take him). It takes some coaxing for his dinner too.
-He has been very lethargic with some bursts of energy (like when we take him on a walk).
- We thought he was in pain in his hip or leg and that is why he would not eat. He was lying around a lot, VERY calm and seemed to have trouble sitting down. We took him to the vet who gave him an anti inflammatory which seemed to work great. Now he's bounding around the house again but still won't eat.
- Yesterday morning and this morning he threw up bile, multiple times. The last time this morning before I had to leave for work, he threw up a dryer sheet ---which looked more like a cross between a wet paper towel and packing tape at this point. I have NO idea when he could have eaten this - at least a week ago.
- He would not eat this AM before he threw up but yesterday he did eat his dry food, an apple, some milkbones, and some chicken & rice (and kept it all down). I did not try to feed him afterwards as I had to leave and did not want him to get sick while I was gone.

He has been pooping - mostly solid, but much looser than normal.
Could all of this be from the dryer sheet? Do I still have cause for concern?
He's such a mess this week - I've stayed home with him the last 2 days and had to go to work today and now I'm just sitting here worrying about him. Any input would help.

Thank you!!!!:confused:

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
Maybe the vet should xray to look for further obstructions?

·
Registered
710 Posts
I had a dog that ate a dryer sheet and was fine, however, I read that dryer sheets are poisonous.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a dog that ate a dryer sheet and was fine, however, I read that dryer sheets are poisonous.
I read if they are used they are not but I'll do some more research. He seems like he feels better today than he has all week, much more energetic, etc. but he's still not eating... Very frustrating and nerve-wracking.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I would take him to the vet immediately for an x-ray. There might be another dryer sheet or something else causing a partial obstruction.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Just wanted to say that I hope that your boy starts improving, and that he will stay away from those dryer sheets. Poor baby.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I would be concerned that he ate more then one too. When he went to the vet I'm surprised they didn't recommend an xray. Lots of times they suggest it, but it would be your decision to do so or not. I've always just went with the xray so that I could be sure. I would go back to the vet and the sooner the better.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I would be very concerned just for the fact of lethargy and anorexia for a week. Now vomiting is a concern. Complete obstruction seems unlikely to me if he is defecating and not having diarrhea, and able to keep most of his food down. However he could of eaten enough to cause a partial obstruction and GI upset. Or the chemicals themselves on the dryer sheet could potentially cause problems.

He needs to go to the vet. Any time an animal is sick for a week, they need to see a doctor.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I would have that dog at the vet asap..If he vomited up a dryer sheet, well tells me the dog has no problem eating "stuff",,he may have something else in there he's eaten..or as anubis said, he could be sick from the sheet.

get him to a vet

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
please go to the vet --- vomiting and bile -- dog probably has inflamed pancreas -- your dog may have to go through a gentle detox period
dryer sheets are toxic - they contain gums and benzene

I won't have them in my house. You can use a bit of baking soda and a drop of lavender essential oil and get better results (or vanilla or lemon) Scented laundry products release carcinogens, study finds - HealthPop - CBS News

'Cancer risk' of perfumed products that go in your tumble-dryer as chemicals are found in air from vents | Mail Online

The Toxic Dangers of Dryer Sheets and Fabric Softeners

subject was covered last year http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/190534-help-dryer-sheets.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts