German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For this entire week Zoe has woke me up in the morning gagging up small amounts of bile. She has also been eating less lately though is hyper, happy, pooing normal, and seems fine. I think the bile is from her tummy being emptier than normal, but is this room for concern?

I caved and added a half can of wet dog food to her dinner tonight and fed it 2 hours later to see if it happens again tomorrow morning. I hope it remedies the problem, but I want to make sure this isn't a symptom of something bad.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I don't think it is anything to worry about. The throwing up bile on an empty stomach is pretty common. Often have it happen with Keeta, and sometimes with Gryff. We have a bed-time ritual of me doling out a few milk-bones last thing before lights out, and that helps with the morning empty stomach bile issue. Just a small snack like that at night can help a lot.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats a great idea thanks a lot. I assume it's an empty stomach thing since her growth has slowed so has her eating- maybe her tummy just hasn't caught up yet. I guess I need to invest in some milk bones:)

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She's 11 months today so this is a new thing for her...kinda strange but my vet didn't seem freaked much. She says it's normal for food intake to slow as their growth does and unless I'm seeing diarrhea, lethargy, or any other noticeable signs of illness to keep an eye on her. We'll see what I found in the morning...literally,lol

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
We have a bed-time ritual of me doling out a few milk-bones last thing before lights out, and that helps with the morning empty stomach bile issue. Just a small snack like that at night can help a lot.
That's exactly what I do. If I don't get food into Jax before 7am, he starts gagging too. I have some cookies in the bathroom that he can snack on while I'm getting ready for work.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Had the same thing happened if I fed too late in the morning. Haven't noticed it in a while even though don't feed the same time every morning.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
same issue here. mainly with our 6 year old male. But he's always been a whiney baby when it comes to his stomach. Shasta could care less as long as she gets fed. She's thrown up bile once but usually she throws up water because she feels the need to drink so much of it at once and then race around like a wacko.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts