German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
My mother and I recently got two female litter mate 8wk old GSDs. She has noticed that her pup has started throwing up her food after eating (has now done this twice) and keeps getting hiccups.
Is this cause for alarm?

Some back story- pups are up to date on shots and are worm free. They were switched to a different brand of dry puppy food than the breeder was using after we got them. We water the puppy food down with warm water to soften it. Her dog was okay the first few days eating but now has been developing these problems. My pup has shown no change. Both dogs eat very quickly! No other signs of discomfort as of right now.

Thank for any help you can offer. We just don't want to jump the gun and run to the vet too soon if this is something somewhat normal.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never anything wrong with going to the vet. We can't see the pup so can only guess as to what is wrong. How much are you feeding? How often? I'd go to the vet first, then id get a slow-down bowl to slow down the feeding.

We are feeding them each one cup three times a day.

My mom just called the vet. Vet says to keep an eye on her but as for right now there is no cause to worry.

That being said- still worrying!

·
Registered
176 Posts
It sounds like the pup is eating too fast. I've heard that putting a ball or a kong in the bowl can help them to slow down. They have to eat around the toy, so it causes them to slow down. She can also try hand feeding the pup a little at a time.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Another idea to slow them down is to put their food on a lap cookie sheet that has raised edges. The food stays contained but it is spread out, forcing the puppy to slow down. That is what worked for my parents lab puppy.

My MIL also had success pulling a ball into her puppies food bowl like FoxyMom suggested.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for the helpful responses! We will definitely try these methods to slow her down.
I heard puppies that were in larger litters have the instinct and experiences that make them eat quickly. She was in a healthy litter of 9 pups so I'm guessing that this is what is going on here!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
That could be the problem. IAMS is not a very good food. Many gsds have very sensitive digestive tracts and don't do well on food that has fillers and by-products. Years ago I was feeding my gsd Purina and she was throwing up and when I switched to a better quality food she stopped throwing up!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That could be the problem. IAMS is not a very good food. Many gsds have very sensitive digestive tracts and don't do well on food that has fillers and by-products. Years ago I was feeding my gsd Purina and she was throwing up and when I switched to a better quality food she stopped throwing up!
Do you have a food that you would recommend? We were starting to think it might be the food.

·
Registered
766 Posts
A lot of people here feed Fromm Gold Large Breed Puppy, Orijen Large Breed Puppy. I fed Taste of the Wild High Prairie Puppy after switching from Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy (Lamb and Rice) and Canidae All Stages Life. Canidae was cheaper but too high in calcium. I believe for a GSD you want to stick around the 1.2% calcium level.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I second on taste of the wild-high prairie. There is also a ball that I got at petsmart its a toys r us brand that you can put the food in and they have to roll it around to get the food to fall out of the hole. Its fun to watch and keeps the pup entertained.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts