German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
652 Posts

Hey, it worked for me. People warned me about putting two middle-aged females together. They had a few spats and worked it out and were fine. I have also always found adding that 3rd dog is so easy.
While the 2 black and tan girls pictured here have passed away, I have two additional dogs to the white shepherd (the 2 in my avatar).

· Registered
86 Posts
I have 3 GSD. All Female. I dont have any issues with them being the same sex. I am in the process of Adding a 4th (male). it depends of the family, the thinking, and what one is willing to tolerate and watch for. Good luck. It only matters if you have the love to give for all.

· Registered
317 Posts
I have two male dogs (one GSD, one Husky). The GSD is 2 years old and was introduced 4 months ago to the 10 year old (but extremely active) Husky. They are the best of buddies now.

I would suggest having every animal in your house 'fixed" as soon as they're old enough, it helps tremendously.

Unless you are over 300 pounds, if you walk 3 GSD's by yourself, if they all decide to take off at once/act out, you are done for. Just say no. Don't do it. Liability and Lawsuit are ugly, extended 4 letter words.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide!

· Registered
19,190 Posts
if we had Zena in the house right now, having Shelby wouldnt be a possibility if Shelby were to decide to start being a brat. Shelby is a slightly dominant girl but more submissive. Okay submissive with people. Dominant brat with other dogs. Zena is MASSIVELY dominant and therefore we probably would have a war on our hands. Shasta is proving to be pretty laid back in regards to other dogs but she's also just under 6 months old so it could be a different story when she hits maturity. We're prepared to deal with it. We've done it before. I'd much prefer to add another male than another female however. Males tend to be more laid back IMO. Zena is cool as long as she gets in her i'm the boss arguement and wins, otherwise she'll go until she wins. be it an actual fight or the random attacks when the other dog isnt looking. It usually doesnt go that far because we yell and she learns to back off and leave it alone. Riley is our male. He likes to think he's boss and dominant but seriously he's not. he's the lowest on the pack order but he's the oldest. it depends on what you're looking for and what you can reasonably handle. Shasta's mom is an extremely dominant personality. She cant stand other female dogs unless they're extremely submissive from the start to her. Shasta's dad is good with other dogs but he also hadnt hit 18 months yet when i met him (accidental breeding two walls and a couch destroyed in the process of getting to Shasta's mom). He's a very ball driven dog. Shasta doesnt have anywhere near that focus but so far she's pretty chill. Adjust as needed and be 100% that you want and can handle it given all possible scenerios.

· Registered
436 Posts
We currently have three dogs, two GSDs and a Lab. All are male and get along great.
The thing I find about three is they don't all play together, only two at a time. You know, like three is a crowd.
I also find three are much more work.
My issue with walking is when my DH and I walk all of them there is no room on the sidewalk.

I personally prefer two at a time, that is just my experience and thoughts, not saying it can't or shouldn't be done.

· Registered
9 Posts
I have had 3 GSD's in the past and found it quite difficult to manage and care for them like I like to. I found that 3 caused a pack mentality much more than with just 2. There always seemed to be two that wanted to gang up on the one and I had to supervise their play at all times. It always seemed to be the same one that got ganged up on and the play got a lot rougher than it should have.

I currently have 2 and personally find it much easier for me to handle and manage. But that is just me. I like to take them with me whevever I go and with just the two I can do that.

· Registered
163 Posts
I had three dogs years ago, a male Rottie, Female Shepherd and a Female Pitt/Lab… all rescues. It was fine for me back then because there were three of us in the house and each of us claimed a dog (mine was the Shepherd, of course!) so everything was easier since it was pretty much like we owned one dog each.

I would LOVE to get another dog (I would never tell my boyfriend this…. Yet lol) but like you, I am the caregiver 80% of the time. With five cats and 2 dogs in a smallish house… even that gets too much for me. I know I would go insane lol. However… when we move to a bigger house next year, I will ask again for another dog… but a smaller one.

It’s all about how you feel. How do you feel now with two dogs? How would you feel with one more? Do you feel overwhelmed now? Or do you feel like you can give much more of yourself. I have a friend with 7 large poodles and she’s as happy as can be… if I had 7… I would go mental.

As for walking three dogs, when I had three dogs the smallest was 80lbs… I weighed at the time 115lbs. I walked all three dogs for about 7 years with no problems. They were all leash trained though, and I did walk them one at a time until they were fully trained. If there was a child, or loose dog, or any other problem all three of my dogs would sit on command until the owner or parent would fix the situation. My dogs were amazing with that. I have two dogs now, I would not walk together. They weigh more than me together and my puppy is not even close to being leash trained. When she is fully trained I will walk them together, not before that.

· Registered
6,233 Posts
I've had three dogs before (not all GSDs) in different combinations. I do think it can be harder to take them all along places. I know it's possible to walk 3 at once but I found it a lot more comfortable to have another person so I could walk 2 and they could walk one. Of course I usually had 3 different-sized dogs which was a little harder to work with than if they were all the same size. Walking three makes things more difficult, especially going to events and outings. Even when I just had two dogs at events/outings I usually would have another person along if possible, so I could hand one dog off if I needed to or if I wanted to do an activity being offered I could have the other person hold the dogs in turn while I worked with the other. When I haven't had an extra person (like at dog camp) it was more of a hassle with two dogs and made everything take a little longer.
I think if I lived alone when I had multiple dogs it would have been a lot different, as it was I was the sole caretaker, but at least there were other people to also give the dogs attention and sometimes accompany us to events and things like that. I have also noticed that when I've had three, they show more pack type behaviors which my dogs never really did when it was just two.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.