German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
6,233 Posts
I've always been told that two females are more likely to have problems getting along than two males. I've never had more than one female, but I've had two males and one female a number of times since all my foster dogs have been male, and I've never had any problems (not all the same breed though.)

· Registered
6,233 Posts
I've had three dogs before (not all GSDs) in different combinations. I do think it can be harder to take them all along places. I know it's possible to walk 3 at once but I found it a lot more comfortable to have another person so I could walk 2 and they could walk one. Of course I usually had 3 different-sized dogs which was a little harder to work with than if they were all the same size. Walking three makes things more difficult, especially going to events and outings. Even when I just had two dogs at events/outings I usually would have another person along if possible, so I could hand one dog off if I needed to or if I wanted to do an activity being offered I could have the other person hold the dogs in turn while I worked with the other. When I haven't had an extra person (like at dog camp) it was more of a hassle with two dogs and made everything take a little longer.
I think if I lived alone when I had multiple dogs it would have been a lot different, as it was I was the sole caretaker, but at least there were other people to also give the dogs attention and sometimes accompany us to events and things like that. I have also noticed that when I've had three, they show more pack type behaviors which my dogs never really did when it was just two.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.