German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3.5year old male and 4 year old female- I am seriously considering adding another gsd to the mix- these two are best buddies- I have been told adding a male pup would cause problems down the road between the males- it is just that I prefer the male look.
Any one have experience with this- the 3.5 year old male's breeder advise strongly against it- a female is fine!
Also even though I am retired am I buying into a more work than I can imagine. Does a love of these animals become total labor! My wife feels two were restricting now 3 is being handcuffed.
It will more difficult in the beginning bc the pup will not be into their schedule and walk routine.
Ideas/Issues Please
Thanks

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
I have three GSD's.

In the beginning I had one male and a female. Both are five years old (checked the birthdates and Yukon is five, not six years old LOL) and than I added a female puppy to the mix.

It all depends on the dogs. If I had the choice all over again, I would rather add a male puppy than a female puppy to the mix. It took my bitch the longest time to accept the female puppy and the issues got so severe that I thought about rehoming one of the bitches and when I finally made up my mind to re-home one of them the problems disappeared and I kept all three of them.

Now I am thinking about adding a fourth dog. a male puppy. He's already reserved.

Don't listen to what others tell you. Watch your dogs, observe them and then make the decision on whether you add a male or female. What works for others might not work for you :)

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
As for work, issues and other stuff:

Work:
I, personally am used to take care of multiple dogs. I grew up cleaning more than ten outdoor kennels and having five male dogs in the house (Gildo, Olko, Satan, Diego and Diabolo are the ones I remember, later on it was Olko, Satan, Garfield, Baerle, Dixie etc..)
So I am used to that.

HOWEVER, the puppy itself needs to be supervised more than the older dogs. We took her out four times more than the other two. My husband took Indra out before he went to PT and then after he got back from PT. I took her out before lunchtime, after lunchtime, when hubby got home from work he took her out again and then I took her out in the middle of the night.

I always took her along with the other two and we went on hikes together. Two days after I brought her home we went to the puppy class already. She learned to be around other dogs, I took her downtown and into stores and I brought the other two along with me as well.

She learned early on to stay alone, just like the other two too.
She is now almost 8 months old and there is no need to crate her. She is completely housebroken and can stay alone up until 8 hours a day (even though I barely do that).
She knows the difference between quiet times and working time.
I can take her along with me anywhere I go. She can ride the bus, train, go to restaurants and lay quietly underneath the table but I had the time to concentrate on her. I am a SAHW and have the time to work with my dogs while others, that are at work, don't have that time.

Food:
You will spend more money on food. I feed Orijen6Fish and I spend 200 Euros A MONTH on dog food which roughly translates into 300Dollars but it's only that expensive because of the exchangerate and because Orijen is much more expensive in Germany than in the US.

Car:
Make sure that you have a car that fit three GSD's.
When we bought the Jeep Compass we didn't even think about adding a third dog. Well, now we wished we would have settled for a Van instead of the Compass. Three dogs fit into the compass but NO CRATE whatsoever fits in that car and we just had to get it detailed, it cost us 450 Euros (and that was a special prize, if it wasn't for my family I would have paid 600 Euros. So make sure you have the right car for three dogs.

Medical Bills:
the cost tripples. You have to pay for vaccination, routine check ups. Emergencies, de-wormer... and everything is trippled. If you can afford all of that. Go for it.

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
Like Mrs K said, it depends on your dogs. Everyone advises, if you have 2 dogs they should be opposite sex, but can't quite do that with a 3rd, right? lol

You need to get a dog that will mesh personality wise with both. If your female is the pushy dominant "doesn't like other girls on my turf" type, then adding a female pup could be disaster. Same is true for a male pup if your current male is that way. Are you current dogs s/n? That can make an influence on your decision as well.

As for the work load, I guess it depends on whether or not you enjoy it? To me, it would be a lot, but I would love it. Others, would just find it a chore that they would could to dread.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
If you enjoy brushing, washing, and training...then it's not too much of a workload. If you don't, you're going to start to resent all the work not enjoy your dogs as much.

The only thing I will say about 3 vs 2 or 4 is that unless you are planning to walk all three dogs at the same time (do you walk alone or does your spouse walk with you always?) then one dog will always be left home alone and that just stinks from my point of view. I didn't like the number 3. Four was much better, we could take two somewhere and the other two had eachother as buddies.

I would personally add another male. Females cause more problems (even spayed) than males usually do. Our oldest female can't be with the other female, but she's fine with the boys and the boys are fine with EVERYONE. Some say sexual maturity (2 - 3 yrs) is when the problems start, but I disagree. My girl attacked another female shortly after her first birthday and it's been like this ever since despite various training methods. She was a VERY well socialized and well trained dog.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
If you enjoy brushing, washing, and training...then it's not too much of a workload. If you don't, you're going to start to resent all the work not enjoy your dogs as much.

The only thing I will say about 3 vs 2 or 4 is that unless you are planning to walk all three dogs at the same time (do you walk alone or does your spouse walk with you always?) then one dog will always be left home alone and that just stinks from my point of view. I didn't like the number 3. Four was much better, we could take two somewhere and the other two had eachother as buddies.

I would personally add another male. Females cause more problems (even spayed) than males usually do. Our oldest female can't be with the other female, but she's fine with the boys and the boys are fine with EVERYONE. Some say sexual maturity (2 - 3 yrs) is when the problems start, but I disagree. My girl attacked another female shortly after her first birthday and it's been like this ever since despite various training methods. She was a VERY well socialized and well trained dog.
Why would one always stay alone at home while you walk the other two?

Personally, I always walk all three of mine at the same time and there are no problems whatsoever. If you know how to handle dogs, and have them under control there is no need to leave one at home.

As for the brushing and washing. Mine barely get washed at all. If I wash them than it has to be extreme and only with clear water. It's a matter of two minutes per dog. I don't use shampoo or anything like that and they don't stink or smell at all. It's up the individual if they can actually live without having the urge to wash their dogs every third day. I don't because it damages the coat more than it does anything good. :)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I know many on this board have/had multiple dogs . At one point I had 4 gsd's all living in the house (I wouldn't have it any other way),,varying ages, 3 males and one female.

It totally depends on the temperaments of your existing dogs and what you bring in vs gender. When I had two males, tho one would be considered the 'leader', he was a silent leader, in that he didn't need to 'act' on it, the other dog just accepted it and was happy to be a follower,,brought in the female who was a "queen" bee, no problems, brought in another male, and no problems, he was happy to just go with the flow as well.

3 is definately more work than two, exercise, higher bills for feeding, vetting, etc. I like having atleast 3, if you happen to be going somewhere with 1, atleast the other two keep each other company, and lessened my guilt when I could only take 1:))

as for grooming, Mine required little grooming, when I did bath, blow out etc, usually summer time outside, and must say, broken back by the time I got done with 4 ! LOL

If you have pushy dogs, I wouldn't bring in another pushy dog, a more laid back, go with the flow type.. I don't want to live with multiple pushy dogs, trouble brews, and personally tho, I have two females right now and one male,,having a choice, I think multiple males are easier than multiple females (tho I don't have problems right now)

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I didn't say he'd have to leave the third home. Many people (even on this forum who are experienced) don't walk more than two at a time.

It's not always how your dogs behave - it's the unpredictable nature of other people and their dogs. If a loose dogs come running up into a pack of three vs one in each hand, things get a bit tricker.

I'm not arguing about walking two vs three. The question was to the OP - how many does he want to walk at once, and if he only wants to walk two, perhaps he and his wife walk together always and one could walk the third.

As for brushing and washing - everyone has different standards as to what they think is clean. You're being rather dramatic saying "washing every third day." Washing on a regular basis doesn't damage the coat, and why is it that everytime someone mentions bathing their dogs, those who don't wash their dogs say we all wash ours twice a week or something ridiculous like that? My personaly opinion is that after years of spending time with dogs, it's always those that say they don't wash their dogs and they are "self cleaning" if they are brushed regularly that stink. You pet them and your hand has a grime on it. It's disgusting. But those are always the people that proudly tell you their dog never has to get a bath, or only a yearly bath, and it's clean. As I said, different standards.

This forum is for everyone to post their persepective and opinions on.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Why so defensive? No need to get mad. :)

Maybe I just got it wrong, but it really sound like you said that one will always be at home.

As for the washing...I guess it's the same with food, or crating, or training, or socialization. There are people out there that wash their dogs three times a week and than they wonder why the dogs have problems with their coats and skin. I simply wanted to add that it's all a matter of perspective and depending on how you do it, it's up to yourself of how much work you have with your dog.

As for "what is clean", I only wash with clear water, if I wash at all. They have the shiniest coat, thick&healthy hair, don't stink at all and they barely shed ever since I switched to Orijen.

With the food itself alone you can manage to keep the shedding down. Granted it's still a lot of hair and you have to vacuum clean twice as much as with one or two dogs but it doesn't have to be much work. It all depends on if you, yourself see it as work, or as a hobby, fun or how much work you make yourself.

It's also a matter of organization.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
my aussie who's a "fluff" ball, definately requires much more grooming/bathing than my gsd's , she's a little pig dawg, and is always into something..Personally I don't want to be bothered with grooming all that hair so lucky me, my friend is a groomer and does a great job on her..She gets done atleast every 2 months, sometimes more depending :)

My gsd's have all been 'prim' dog they don't tend to get down into the muck, but yes do need an occasional bath , Right now with one, Masi, I blow her out atleast once a week, it keeps the dirt/dander off .. Since she swims alot, she's get's a bath off and on when swimming,,IN the winter, atleast twice at my groomers shop:) But definately not as much as the aussie.

And yes, one thing I can't stand is petting a greasy dawg and as rerun said, it's all once's personal standard:)

Honestly I don't know of anyone who bathes their dogs once a week even.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Why so defensive? No need to get mad. :)

Maybe I just got it wrong, but it really sound like you said that one will always be at home.

As for the washing...I guess it's the same with food, or crating, or training, or socialization. There are people out there that wash their dogs three times a week and than they wonder why the dogs have problems with their coats and skin. I simply wanted to add that it's all a matter of perspective and depending on how you do it, it's up to yourself of how much work you have with your dog.

As for "what is clean", I only wash with clear water, if I wash at all. They have the shiniest coat, thick&healthy hair, don't stink at all and they barely shed ever since I switched to Orijen.

With the food itself alone you can manage to keep the shedding down. Granted it's still a lot of hair and you have to vacuum clean twice as much as with one or two dogs but it doesn't have to be much work. It all depends on if you, yourself see it as work, or as a hobby, fun or how much work you make yourself.

It's also a matter of organization.
Yes...I said one will be at home, if he's not planning to walk all three at the same time.

Your comment about training and about washing every 3rd day was rather offensive. You can account for your dogs behavior, not other peoples. No matter how well trained your dogs are, it will be difficult to keep from getting tangled up if a loose dog comes plowing into a crowd of three on leashes in a residential area.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I know many on this board have/had multiple dogs . At one point I had 4 gsd's all living in the house (I wouldn't have it any other way),,varying ages, 3 males and one female.

It totally depends on the temperaments of your existing dogs and what you bring in vs gender. When I had two males, tho one would be considered the 'leader', he was a silent leader, in that he didn't need to 'act' on it, the other dog just accepted it and was happy to be a follower,,brought in the female who was a "queen" bee, no problems, brought in another male, and no problems, he was happy to just go with the flow as well.

3 is definately more work than two, exercise, higher bills for feeding, vetting, etc. I like having atleast 3, if you happen to be going somewhere with 1, atleast the other two keep each other company, and lessened my guilt when I could only take 1:))

as for grooming, Mine required little grooming, when I did bath, blow out etc, usually summer time outside, and must say, broken back by the time I got done with 4 ! LOL

If you have pushy dogs, I wouldn't bring in another pushy dog, a more laid back, go with the flow type.. I don't want to live with multiple pushy dogs, trouble brews, and personally tho, I have two females right now and one male,,having a choice, I think multiple males are easier than multiple females (tho I don't have problems right now)
I agree, I think it depends on the personality of the current dogs and the new dog/puppy. I have 1 male GSD that is extremely goofy, friendly and he is a follower, not a leader. I have a male GSD/Husky mix that is serious, protective, cautious and he is definitly the leader. He is bossy and dominant. I will be adding another GSD to my pack in a couple of years and I dont know if I'll get another male or female but which ever it is it has to be laid back and not a leader otherwise it will clash with my GSD/Husky mix and then I'll have problems.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I have currently have 3 gsd's, though this friday I'm getting number 4! I have 2 females and 1 male and they all get along great. I do have to stay on top of them when they are playing as sometimes it turns into a 2 on 1 and gets too rough.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I think you should listen to your wife cause that's a 3rd dog for her too. And if she's not fully on board it's not fair at all.

Not that I would entirely give up on getting a 3rd dog in a few years.

In the meantime, I'd would get those dogs trained up and practically perfect. Continue showing your wife that YOU do the feeding, you do the baths, you do the vet visits, you do the walks/runs/hiking, so YOU would really also be able to take on the burden down the line when she is open minded about adding another dog when SHE is also ready.

Find some great dog classes in your area and spend your time with those and your current dogs. Herding. Tracking. Agility. Search and Rescue. Flyball. Obedience. Fun fun thing for you and your current dogs. To make THEIR lives better. More fun.

At the same time you'll become a much better owner/hander/trainer. Which will prove to your wife you take her needs seriously and look how perfect you can get your current dogs.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I have 3 dogs right now, 2 are Shilohs Shepherds, my male is 8 my female is 6 & 1 WGSD female who is almost 9 months old. I work full time so that puts a damper on a lot.
My older 2 have no issues together and were best buddies from day 1. When we were offered the puppy (for free) we thought about it for well over a month before we finally said yes. My husband kept saying "what ever you want to do is fine" I wouldn't accept that because he is the one who comes home first and would have to clean up after puppy.
I figured I would have a problem with my older female, turns out my male was the one who was the problem and really wants no part of the pup. The females play together but my male still doesn't love the baby.
My husband doesn't do anything with the dogs except give them some love. I do everything else. I walk all 3 together, very early in the morning to avoid having to deal with any issues. Then the baby goes to school, she gets extra walks/exercise because she's young. I don't always feel guilty leaving the 2 older ones home because they don't need to burn off any excess energy, so the group walk is great for them. I do however find myself in situations that I wouldn't want to handle all 3 together in a very public scenario. Like when I take the pup to a fair or something, no way am I walking all 3 thru a crowd of people & dogs by myself. Individually is not a problem, put them all together thats almost 300lbs of dog.
I had harmony in my home without the puppy, I don't regret getting her but it sure is a lot of extra work. When ever we go out she has to be confined, the older ones are trusted in the house. She's a great pup compared to some stories I have read. I think having the older dogs definately had a good impact on bite inhabition and her learning. Then of course theres the expense factor everything x3. My older female has seizures so I always have testing & meds. I can only hope this girl has no health issues.
I keep saying the next one is deffinately going to be an older rescue and less demanding of me. A nice older dog that just wants a good home and lots of love.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Yes...I said one will be at home, if he's not planning to walk all three at the same time.

Your comment about training and about washing every 3rd day was rather offensive. You can account for your dogs behavior, not other peoples. No matter how well trained your dogs are, it will be difficult to keep from getting tangled up if a loose dog comes plowing into a crowd of three on leashes in a residential area.
Jesus Christ. Really? Come on now. You know it was in no way meant offensive. One can take anything offensive these days... We are all adults if you take it offensive it's your fault, not mine.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I've always been told that two females are more likely to have problems getting along than two males. I've never had more than one female, but I've had two males and one female a number of times since all my foster dogs have been male, and I've never had any problems (not all the same breed though.)

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I think that it really depends. 3 dogs are a pack. There is always the possibility of having some kind of difficulty, and the difficulty will not necessarily happen until the dogs get older.

We have 4 males and 1 female. My female gets along with all the males. My males are iffy. The 2 oldest ones do not get along at all. My 3.5 year old and my 18 month used tog et along great...but now the 18 month old is starting to mature and pick fights with the older dog. This is not fun. Now, they can be together, but have to be carefully supervised. However, my dogs are fairly dominant and inclined to be possessive of their resources. The female is no better, but the boys jsut seem to let her do whatever she wants. :)

So the reality is that you could get a puppy, everything could be going swimmingly...until it doesn't. Then you have to be prepared to make the necessary adjustments.

I also think 3 is quite a bit more work than 2. I agree with Rerun. I would rarely walk 3 dogs together, because physically it would be very hard for me to control them should a difficult situation arise. Also dogs feed off of each other. I can pretty much guarantee that if we were walking along and a cat ran out from under a car...that even if my 2 older dogs were inclined to listen...if the puppy lunged there would be that instant where the other 2 would try to go also. Not fun. So walk time would seriously increase.

For that matter, Everthing increases with a puppy. My puppies while given play time with the older dogs for an hour or so, had to spend most of their time with me. So the time I had to spend with puppy (the same or more than the time spent with the older dogs) had to be added on top of the time already spent.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have 3 also, 2 males and a female, it depends on your dogs, as its been said, you have to watch them, my two males spar with each other, but it has never turned vicious, the 1 yr old always backs down and becomes submissive, I understand this may change as he gets older, I'll just have to watch it, the female gets along fine with both, the young one even bosses her around a little, then, the older male comes in a "saves" her, its really funny to watch, BTW both males are not neutered, no problems with marking etc. I cannot walk all 3 by myself, they are very good on the leash, but, you never know... I do have an acre of fenced in land, so they get plenty of exercise, plus lots of wide open spaces where I can walk them without a leash. IMO 3 is not that much work than 2. Good luck

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you all for the great honest responses. I do 80% of the dog care. The 2 I have are perfect socialized dogs trained to the Sch. BH. They do not even have to be on leash. It is that easy- but... 3 is 3- more dog hair etc
She did not want one and that became two- so I must decide- but no doubt it will steal time away from the two I have alreday at least for about 5 months.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.