German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I would post this as there have been recent threads about a move to ban prong collars. I have already commented on Facebook for all the good it will do.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=107098456362272&set=gm.1387325484627724&type=3&theater

My comment:

"Nonsense. A dog that has that kind of damage probably wore a prong collar continuously for so long it grew into his neck. It was the fault of his owner, not the tool. My GSD uses a prong and has never has a single sore, period. If you want to ban everything that some idiot misused, then go on and ban knives and forks, kitchen matches and shovels, cars and money."

·
Super Moderator
5,866 Posts
No one can see the post unless they friend you or maybe whoever shared it in the first place.
Totally agree with your response!

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I prefer less government control in most everything. I would not be in favor of the ban for this reason.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I'm thinking if they ban prongs they should at least enforce a law which requires all dogs to wear a helmet. The dog I saw recently dead on the side of the road had a prong on but not a helmet.

SuperG

·
4,492 Posts
they posted it on Photo Doggies for Anthony? That is just wrong in so many ways. If they have an ax to grind, they sure picked the wrong place to do it.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Thought I would post this as there have been recent threads about a move to ban prong collars. I have already commented on Facebook for all the good it will do.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=107098456362272&set=gm.1387325484627724&type=3&theater

My comment:

"Nonsense. A dog that has that kind of damage probably wore a prong collar continuously for so long it grew into his neck. It was the fault of his owner, not the tool. My GSD uses a prong and has never has a single sore, period. If you want to ban everything that some idiot misused, then go on and ban knives and forks, kitchen matches and shovels, cars and money."
Well said!!!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
That's always the first reaction from XXXXXXXs. Instead of attributing blame to the perpetrator it's always the inanimate object that they want to blame and ban.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
I use a HS prong but only on walks. The only other person I know that uses one - has not removed it from his dogs neck for 4 years.

I had a lengthy discussion with him and he did say after he removed it and checked carefully for signs of neck damage and he saw none - so it went right back on and that's where it stays. I tried to explain to him but he chooses not to listen or view any information regarding their proper use. He does not use it for anything but pulling on walks either but he's too lazy to take it off when it's not being used for it's intended purpose.

He bought it at Petco and had no idea there was a training method that goes with them. How many others do this? He has the prong hooked up to a retractable leash.

No one can force the yahoos to use this tool properly. I don't know what the answer is but I wish at least a CD for proper use would have to accompany each one sold.

·
Super Moderator
5,866 Posts
Stone that's an excellent idea about the CD.If they came with colorful rubber tips or covers maybe they wouldn't look so scary either.

·
4,492 Posts
I

He bought it at Petco and had no idea there was a training method that goes with them. How many others do this? He has the prong hooked up to a retractable leash.

No one can force the yahoos to use this tool properly. I don't know what the answer is but I wish at least a CD for proper use would have to accompany each one sold.
This is part of the problem of people not being able to take their dogs out and about with them. We don't often run into people who have well trained dogs so we don't share information. And it spirals down and down as more people do things improperly.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since you all cannot see it, I will explain that the picture tied to this post is pretty inflammatory. Maybe it was Photoshopped and maybe not, but I do know that some dogs have had the kind of damage pictured. The fact is that if you take a young dog or puppy, put any kind of collar on it at all, and leave that same collar on till the time the dog is full grown, the collar is going to become way too tight and end up embedded in the flesh.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
If you put a prong on a puppy properly, and that puppy grows up with that prong staying on its neck that it will inbed just like a flat collar or choke collar will. That is neglect/abuse/cruelty regardless of the type of collar.

I am not a fan of the collars, but I wouldn't want them banned because someone did something ridiculous with them. I mean, they used to hang dogs and choke them out on choke chains. Someone could get the bright idea to hang their dog up by their prong collar too. That doesn't mean they should be banned.

If they want to ban something, they should ban retractable leashes. They cause far more injuries and issues.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you put a prong on a puppy properly, and that puppy grows up with that prong staying on its neck that it will inbed just like a flat collar or choke collar will. That is neglect/abuse/cruelty regardless of the type of collar.

I am not a fan of the collars, but I wouldn't want them banned because someone did something ridiculous with them. I mean, they used to hang dogs and choke them out on choke chains. Someone could get the bright idea to hang their dog up by their prong collar too. That doesn't mean they should be banned.

If they want to ban something, they should ban retractable leashes. They cause far more injuries and issues.
Agreed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts