German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know there is a thread about what makes a dog good or bad and how to educate people who are looking for a new puppy. I know many of the views are that you have to pay lots of money for a good dog. I only payed $650 for my GSD, did I pick the wrong breeder?

My puppy came from this breeder, www.taylorsgsd.com. I know I have already got my puppy but I would like to know what you all think of this breeder.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I can't say personally but the breeder would probably not pass the smell test on here.

I say that because it's hard figure out what she is aiming for. She has different dogs from almost every line out there. American show, German show, working, and a Canadian/American show line. I think I remembered the last one right. So it's kind of a mish mash crap shoot unless she has something in mind for the long haul.

Doesn't make any individual dog not good. Could be the greatest dog you'll ever own.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Are they a breeder I'd buy from? No. Are you happy with your dog? If you are, doesn't much matter if I'd buy from them or not.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Are they a breeder I'd buy from? No. Are you happy with your dog? If you are, doesn't much matter if I'd buy from them or not.
:thumbup: All that truly matters is that you're happy with your purchase. I personally wouldn't buy from them for the below reason:

I say that because it's hard figure out what she is aiming for. She has different dogs from almost every line out there. American show, German show, working, and a Canadian/American show line. I think I remembered the last one right. So it's kind of a mish mash crap shoot unless she has something in mind for the long haul.
Exactly. Might not be a bad thing, but not something I'd personally be comfortable with

·
Registered
81 Posts
Would I buy from them – no way

Why – they do not title their breeding dogs, they do not know how to spell Czech (Chezk?), they charge $600 extra for full registration, their ‘litter’ page only discusses $ and nothing else (as others have said – what is the purpose of the breeding?).

I also will not purchase a puppy from someone who is breeding their pets - and to pay $900-$1500 for a puppy produced from two pets (and how convenient that she owns both sire and dam (don’t even need to shell out for a stud fee!) is ridiculous IMO

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
A lot would call her a backyard breeder. Better than a puppymill, but still a backyard breeder. Minimal health testing, a few flashy pictures, no rhyme or reason to the lines she's breeding. And I don't like that her big selling point for her male is a champion several lines back....If you look far enough back in any line you can find a "champion." It shows that she's using someone else's training, showing, titling, etc...and riding their coat tails to sell her own dogs. If her pups come from such amazing lines why isn't she doing anything to prove hers??

She reminds me a lot of where my boy came from. I wouldn't go to her, or my dog's breeder again. But, if you are happy with your dog, and he/she is healthy and sound, that's all that matters :)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I also didnt like the mish mash of every line out there, but the dogs seemed to mostly be OFA and tested for DM etc, so they probably aren't horrible dogs. Just seems like she doesn't have a 'goal' of what she's trying to produce

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Questionable practice to be breeding an OFA Fair hips dog. There are a lot of dogs out there with Good to Excellent hips, I personally don't see a reason to breed a fair.

It's also usually weird to see a breeder own both the stud and the bitch. Mostly because it shows that they are just repeating breedings rather than working towards a "better dog." At a certain point...3-4 litters, you can't really breed the male anymore unless you're buying more bitches. Good bitches are expensive and buying new ones all the time is usually not the way to go if you're breeding. You'll hear a lot about a "foundation bitch," a female that produces excellent puppies that are then held back for future breedings. Males are usually brought in that fit the female (and her future puppies) depending on what the breeder wants out of the future lines.

To put it more bluntly...I've seen much much better puppies from much more highly regarded parents go for a little more than the limited price and less than their full price. IMO...I look at what you're getting for your money and how "in line" that is with the market. These dogs are definitely over-priced. Not saying they're not "worth the money" to you, just that for the amount of work that the breeder has put into the dogs, its not really in line with what others do and charge.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
While I may not purchase a dog from them, there are far worse breeders out there.

Health testing is done, (that's a biggy in my book), while I'm not crazy about the higher price for full registration, atleast the requirement for that is health testing the dog prior to getting full registration. I'm ok with that:)

I'm not sure what her goal is either, but that doesn't mean she doesn't have one, it's just not on her website that I could find.

The mishmash of lines doesn't bother me, some wonderful dogs come out of mishmashed lines, I'm not 'up' on these particular crossings tho, so can't comment on that.

I agree with rob and Shade, if YOU are happy with your dog, thats ALL that matters.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I don't see anything questionable about breeding a "Fair" rated dog. There are alot of excellent dogs out there that are Fair rated, fair is still passing:)

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
The best GSD I've ever owned came from a mishmash of lines with apparently his paternal line winning out. However it was pure luck that I got such a great representative of the breed and not by the breeder's design!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
It would depend on what I was looking for. I actually like some of the dogs individually.....but together, I'm not sure. Depends on what I want at the time and why she's pairing them the way that she is, but that would be something I'd ask about and not speculate. Outcrossing and mixing lines is not something I'm against (in fact we're trying to do it) but it totally depends on the dogs involved and what they are bringing to their side of the equation.

I don't have a problem with OFA Fair hips assuming I'd be looking at the whole pedigree as far as hip scores and hip production. A hip score never automatically rules a dog in or out for me.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Questionable practice to be breeding an OFA Fair hips dog. There are a lot of dogs out there with Good to Excellent hips, I personally don't see a reason to breed a fair.
Totally disagree

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
See...this is why no one will ever agree on what a good breeder is and what isn't. To me...taken as a whole package...the breeding of fair hips in THIS circumstance is a huge red flag. Other breeders could do it, but with all the good and excellent hips out there, I would go with the ones breeding better hips ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL.

It's interesting to see how many differing opinions you get from people that do their research. You'll get those that want to see titles, then those that are questioning why we look for titles so much. Those that want to see good hips, others that will look past a questionable hip score if the pedigree makes up for it. Every little thing a breeder does, or chooses to do can be taken one way or the other....in this case....some will like the fact that they're outcrossing, others will call it a huge question.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
sport titles are not that important to me its what the dog can do, a sport title alone does not tell us much i know a very nervy scared dobie that got a sch1, a good trainer can title almost anything.

most important I would say is the working dogs the breeder produces that are working in real life jobs JMHO

I personally would not buy from the OP breeder if the dogs were title or not.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I honestly didn't know anything about pedigree when I started looking for a puppy. I have a friend who has a GSD he got from her and loves. I actually did the cardinal sin, by most on this forum, I picked Ammo based on his color.

Ammo's parents are Geschenk and Roxi. Ammo is still young, 8 months, but so far I am very happy with him. I do find it interesting that a few on here would consider her a back yard breeder.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
You know, if every poster in this thread posted a link to their breeders we would hear a lot of not so good things about any of them. Who cares what someone else thinks? Who cares if the breeder is stellar or a backyard breeder? Vanity of vanities... Your dog is all what matters.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts