German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My GSD is 8 months old and seems to always have an issue with loose stools. He's been on antibiotics when they find any bacteria or parasites in his stool, but this last bout his stool was good. I've started to eliminate certain foods from his diet like peanut butter in his kong to see if that was the issue. So far, the stools go from pudding like to semi soft to normal and then back to semi soft. It's puzzling. My vet said it could be that his food is too high in protein therefore, he needs more fiber or it is his pancreas. They put me on this very expensive food W/D and it did start firming up. They said that if that didn't work to have this blood test done that is only done in a lab in Texas for testing his enzymes in his pancreas. Any thoughts? Other than the soft stools he is perfectly WONDERFUL!

I appreciate any feedback! Thanks! Carol

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
It sounds like they are testing for EPI? I know there are many threads related to this and people who have experience with it. I'm sorry I can't provide any insight. Praying and crossing fingers for good news.
Jan

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Carol - I had the same problem with my female GSD. I tried everything to help eliminate the problem (boiled chicken and rice; adding pumpkin to her food; probiotics) but things would work a day or two and then she would have soft to runny stools again. Finally I changed her food to a non-chicken formula adult formula and cut out all the chicken treats. Within 2 days her stools were firm and have been ever since. Someone told me that she might have developed an "allergy" to chicken and to give switching her food a try. Well it worked.

I hope you can figure out whats going on with your pup and get it worked out. I know its frustrating.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies. I too, have boiled beef, chicken, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, you name it! I will try cutting out the chicken. Can you tell me what brand food you are now feeding your GSD? Thanks!!

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
My girl is allergic to chicken too. She does well on any of the fish, grain free formulas. The Orijen 6 fish gave her smelly gas. (Didn't feel bad, just smelled bad.) She has been on the Acana Pacifica. She did develop some skin allergies while on the Acana. I think that was a coincidence and was actually caused by environmental allergies. She seems to do best on the Wellness Core Ocean, so we are back on that. She is 12.5. I realize your dog is just a pup, so maybe better if the "puppy" people respond.

There is a formula that my vet gave me. He is a shepherd guy. I don't know why this works, but it works every time - like a charm. Fry up some really lean ground beef. Drain off the grease. Mix in All-Bran cereal. If my dog ever has an intestinal upset, or I am transitioning her to a new food, I give her ground beef and All-Bran cereal. I give her a handful at a time, throughout the day. Next day, I add a little of her dog food. I continue until the ground beef and All-Bran are gone and she is eating only the dog food.
I have been using this formula for the past 10 years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Same issues... and keep learning the hard way

I have found two things:
1) check to be sure they aren't getting any aloe in my yard. That tripped me up real bad and made for a very bad mess.

2) Switched over to Infinia Salmon/Bison or Turkey & sweet potato and it's perfect after that every time.

I've switched out to Blue Buffalo a couple times and they tolerate the duck well, but my holistic vet said no chicken as they can be very allergic to that and it's probably the source of the bowel issues.

But soon as I go back to the Infinia, they're all good. I just don't use their Chicken & brown rice.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Have you thought about raw feeding? Stryder used to poo mountains and his stool was sometimes runny or very loose, we switched to raw and his poo is a quarter of the size and perfect... (umm can there be perfect poo?)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I love RAW! But...

Have you thought about raw feeding? Stryder used to poo mountains and his stool was sometimes runny or very loose, we switched to raw and his poo is a quarter of the size and perfect... (umm can there be perfect poo?)
Hubby won't hear of it, and vet thru a fit, I've got one vet who's all for it but prefers I buy the processed RAW diet, and the other vet who's my main vet, who prefers not to go RAW and likes Science Diet but I won't obey that, so I did my own hunt and found the Infinia... but hubby hated the RAW diet, yet yes, the pups were fabulous during the short period I had them on it!

Someday maybe... (sigh)

·
Registered
966 Posts
Fritz had runny or soft stools from 8 weeks to 9 months. He had Giardia but that was dealt with quickly. We were feeding Orijen Puppy mostly. We mixed in sweet potato for 5 weeks along with Prozyme with some success and now at 12.5 months they have been consistently hard for 2 months. We feed an Orijen/TOTW/Wellness/EVO blended rotation.

·
Registered
367 Posts
GRISSOM first of all before going to anything expensive try feeding him a little active culture yogurt on top of his food (make sure it is plain with no fruits, fruits can be bad) then if that doesnt work for about $50.00 you can get something called albon Albon 5% Oral Suspension - Allivet Trusted Pet Pharmacy from your vet. this has always worked for us.

as for what i feed, i use Eukanuba. (YES i have heard they had a recall, it was between purchases for me and i never bought any of the recalled food, besides that it was just for salmonella and dog's digestive systems are naturaally designed to handle that.) any hoo, the euke' has always had good results for me and it always provides us with perfect little solid stools. that has been my experience.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You all are the BEST! Thank you so much for all the advise and great tips! I'm hoping that switching his food will do the trick! You all made me feel much better!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I feed Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit. I've read a lot of posts about Wellness Core and how that cleared up many a sloppy poop. Might be worth a try

1 - 14 of 14 Posts