German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ranger had a physical exam and bloodwork done yesterday. Our vet picked up on Ranger favoring his right rear leg bit, my daughter had noticed something off about his movement while we we hiking this past weekend as well. Ranger has good hips, but has had a tplo 5 yrs ago on this leg and the vet thinks there is arthritis in the joint. He recommend we consider Adequin (sp?) to help with this? Anyone else use this?

·
Registered
118 Posts
My son calls me the 'voodoo queen' as I prefer to exhaust all natural means before subjecting my boy to chemicals. After reading the potential side effects, I would not even consider it as a first line of treatment. Research some alternatives, like turmeric and other anti-inflammatory methods. That's is my 2 cents. If it's worth even that ;)

Reactions: Nigel

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I’ve used Adequan with great results for a senior dog with arthritis and spondylosis. She had no side effects and the results were pretty dramatic. It did start to lose it’s efficacy as she got older and the arthritis progressed, but I would use it again in a heartbeat.

I like to use natural stuff, too, and did use boswellia, golden paste, msm, and a handful of others in conjunction with Adequan. I would just like to point out, though, that even the natural stuff can have side effects. Boswellia can cause GI upset, for example.

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
It's given some of my seniors their lives back. It's a miracle-drug, and a game changer for some dogs -- in about half of dogs it has an anti-inflammatory effect as strong as an NSAID, eliminating the need for NSAIDs. AFAIK, it's the only drug available that has clinical evidence of cartilage preservation -- not just masking pain. It's good, good stuff for dogs with serious arthritis, and the earlier it starts, the better to prevent degeneration. I've had three personal dogs on it, and nearly all the seniors in rescue end up on it -- I've never seen any serious side effects (and we're talking probably a dozen or so dogs over the years that I've known on it in rescue). Most of my friends have their senior dogs on it too -- one has been on it for many years, as she has the worst hips her vet has ever seen...and she active life on them, thanks to the Adequan injections.

I would much rather see most dogs with arthritis on Adequan than on NSAIDs for the long haul. I also agree that Adequan works very well synergistically with supplements. It's not either/or.

In your case though, I'd pay for an xray to make sure the arthritis that's suspected is really there.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to see so many of you having good results with Adaquan. I’m not familiar with it at all and was a bit reluctant, but I think we will try it. My vet hit on a lot of the same points as you @Magwart. I’d like to avoid nsaids if possible or at least delay their use as long as I can.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I know plenty of people with good results and wouldn't hesitate to use it. You can spend less if your vet prescribes it to you and you do the injections (no repeat vet visits).

I have been using "Oma's Pride" joint supplement for a few months now- it has a lot of great stuff in it and the dogs eat it readily on food. That's another option to use or augment Adequan. I've seen improvement in my senior boy who has back soreness- attitude and activity levels are up.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
I've used it with good results and no side effects on my older dog.

I did the injections myself. My dog is very good about injections, I don't even need anyone to hold her

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
If you end up having your vet show you how to do the injections, the cheapest place I've found to buy Adequan is Valleyvet.com. It goes on sale every few months, and they ship it out on an icepack.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ranger is super tolerant and trusting of having things done, so he won’t be an issue, it’s me I’m not so sure about, it looks easy enough though.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's given some of my seniors their lives back. It's a miracle-drug, and a game changer for some dogs -- in about half of dogs it has an anti-inflammatory effect as strong as an NSAID, eliminating the need for NSAIDs. AFAIK, it's the only drug available that has clinical evidence of cartilage preservation -- not just masking pain. It's good, good stuff for dogs with serious arthritis, and the earlier it starts, the better to prevent degeneration. I've had three personal dogs on it, and nearly all the seniors in rescue end up on it -- I've never seen any serious side effects (and we're talking probably a dozen or so dogs over the years that I've known on it in rescue). Most of my friends have their senior dogs on it too -- one has been on it for many years, as she has the worst hips her vet has ever seen...and she active life on them, thanks to the Adequan injections.

I would much rather see most dogs with arthritis on Adequan than on NSAIDs for the long haul. I also agree that Adequan works very well synergistically with supplements. It's not either/or.

In your case though, I'd pay for an xray to make sure the arthritis that's suspected is really there
X-ray is a good idea to make sure there’s not something else going on in there. Our vet is very thorough and been pretty accurate with his diagnosis on all the issues we’ve had, but you never know for sure.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
It's super easy, if I recall it's sub cu, you just make a tent in the skin on top of the shoulders and inject into it. Can't be that hard or easy to screw up because I've given dozens of injections at home and never a problem and I don't have any super skill.

I has experience with needles before--I did my own vaccines for my goat herd and learned to draw blood for pregnancy and biosecurity testing because it was prohibitively expensive to have the vet come out and blood draw the herd. So yeah, I watched a youtube video and managed to do it myself. And before that plenty of IM injections on horses. I find the sub cu on a dog to be the easiest of them all

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ve always had my sister or MIL come by for vax the times I went that route, but I’ll have to get over it. My fear of needles has subsided considerably over the years so it should be doable. I’ll just apologize to Ranger in advance.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Magwart I looked up valley vet and noticed a couple messages, any idea what the red messages are saying? "1368rx expires September 2018, this is an industry wide issue" ?

I may try to contact them this week and see whats up, just thought I'd ask here first.

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Nigel, VV sometimes offer short-dated lots at reduced prices, but they always clearly identify that. For a loading dose that will be used up in the next month or so, I wouldn't mind that. Definitely call and ask them -- Adequan tends to have manufacturing shortages pop up regularly.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nigel, VV sometimes offer short-dated lots at reduced prices, but they always clearly identify that. For a loading dose that will be used up in the next month or so, I wouldn't mind that. Definitely call and ask them -- Adequan tends to have manufacturing shortages pop up regularly.
Thanks, I was concerned they may be changing something about the product. I will call them though just to sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts