German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Petco this morning looking at the supplements and came across this product. It's called NatureVet Natuals All-In-One. It's has a joint supplement, omegas, digestive enzymes and vitamins/minerals. Does it look any good? I bought some to try - it was $27 and will probably last a month and a half. Thanks for your input!!

Available sizes:
13 oz
Product Information
Active Ingredients per 2 Teaspoons

Glucosamine HCl (Shellfish Source)500 mgMSM (Methylsulfonylmethane)500 mgOmega-3 Fatty Acids (Linolenic)450 mgCalcium100 mgChondroitin Sulfate (Bovine Source)100 mgOmega-6 Fatty Acids (Linoleic)80 mgPhosphorus77 mgAscorbic Acid (Vitamin C)50 mgCholine50 mgYucca Schidigera50 mgKelp50 mgQuercetin10 mgNiacin3.4 mgOmega-9 Fatty Acids (Oleic)3 mgZinc1.5 mgIron1 mgd-Pantothenic Acid684 mcgRiboflavin (Vitamin B2)660 mcgVitamin K300 mcgPyridoxine (Vitamin B6)250 mcgThiamine (Vitamin B1)243 mcgManganese60 mcgFolic Acid55 mcgIodine52 mcgCopper50 mcgBiotin60 mcgPotassium16 mcgCobalt14 mcgVitamin B127 mcgMagnesium0.23 mcgVitamin A1500 IUVitamin D3150 IUVitamin E50 IUAlpha-Amylase (Aspergillus oryzae var.)234 SKBLipase (Aspergillus niger var.)21 LUCellulase (Trichoderma Longibrachiatum)7.5 CMCUProtease (Ananas Comosus)2210 PUProbiotics (Lactobacillus Acidophilus)
10 Million cfu of Lactobacillus (at time of manufacture)
10 Million CFU
Product InformationBrewer’s Dried Yeast, Calcium Carbonate, Citric Acid, Flaxseed, Natural Flavoring, and Rosemary Extract.
Directions
For use in dogs and cats over 12 weeks of age.
Suggested Daily Use:

Up To 30 lbs.1 teaspoon31 To 50 lbs.2 teaspoons51 To 75 lbs.3 teaspoons76 lbs. & Over4 teaspoons
Add daily amount to pet’s food. Amount can be divided
among AM and PM meals if desired.
Note: Double the daily amount for the first three weeks.
Recommended to store below 80° F.
*60 Day Supply for dogs & cats weighing up to 50 lbs.

Home
Dogs & Cats
All-In-One Powder - *60 Day
All-In-One Powder - *60 Day

NaturVet Naturals All-In-One is the ideal product for your pet’s essential needs - vitamins and minerals, digestion, skin and coat, and joint support.

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
I think you can do better for the same amount of money. There are several components in there that if you are feeding a quality dog food, or a balance RAW diet, you don't need and are just wasting your money on. You would need to double the dose to get any benefit from the joint supplements and the Chondroitin isn't enough to even consider.

If I were you, I would look for a decent joint supplement. Springtimeinc's joint supplement is about $13/month when the dosage is doubled. Then add fish oil and vit E. If you feel you need a probiotic, find a good one made for dogs.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She has the winter itchies (she gets them every year) and she's 11.5 and has some arthritis so she needs a joint supplement. I keep hearing that probiotics are becoming a "must". I was giving her some plain yogurt for that. She is on Natural Balance right now for food, but I am going to be switching her back to TOTW Pacific Stream. I just thought it would be nice if everything was in one supplement since she is somewhat picky. I think what I want is simply not out there on the market! I wish you could get trial sized portions of all these products so you could make sure your dog would eat them!

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
Is she on fish oil? O3 is good for the arthritis and the winter itchies.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I had it in the cart but got this instead. Right now she is on safflower oil per my vets recommendation. I had tried salmon oil before and she didn't seem to like it. Weird, right?

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
There are other ways to get O3's but the majority of dogs can't process the ALA into the EPA/DHA so fish oil is best but if she won't eat, then she won't eat it. Will she eat canned sardines? You can get them without salt added and they will give her some O3's. Since she is finicky, it seems more important to find something she'll eat than worry about the most bang for you buck.

In order for what you have to be effective, you'll have to give her a therapeutic dose. To me, that is a minimum of 1000 mg gluc, chondr., 2000 mg fish oil (or whatever to equal for the O3's), 2000 mg vit C. MSM is for muscles/soft tissues.

You could look at hyaluronic acid. I've heard mixed reviews on that.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That seems like a lot of fish oil and vitamin C! You must feed a seperate vitamin C supplement? How many tbsp or whatever of fish oil is 2000mg? Just curious.

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
I use the same dosage as Jax. I get human grade not pet store stuff(it is less expensive) With the vitamin C, start slowly and over a weeks time, up the dosage. C can be hard on the gut, EsterC is a bit easier, but should be introduced slowly as well. I use salmon oil(1000mg gelcaps, the dogs think they are treats) and also supplement with 400iu of E daily. B complex and a D vitamin a few days a week.
So daily my dogs get 2000mg salmon oil, 400iu E, 1000mg C(each meal) and 1000mg gluco/chron
~rawfed, not kibble.

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
I do, but you may be able to find one that has it in it. Have you tried the springtime inc suppplements?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do, but you may be able to find one that has it in it. Have you tried the springtime inc suppplements?
No, I'll look them up. Any opinion on the safflower oil? It actually has vitamin E in it. She will eat that on her food. I do think it's strange that she doesn't seem to like fish oil when her food is fish based. Overload maybe. I'll check out the Springtime right now...

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
I don't know anything about safflower oil. Sorry. :( Does it have O3 or O6 in it? If she has arthritis, you really want to keep the O6 down. That increases inflammation if the ratio is off. I like to have my dogs no more than 3:1 (O6:O3). Flax seed oil has O3 in it but it is the ALA. It still might help but not as much as the EPA/DHA.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Below are the guidelines for the springtime longevity formula. I'm not a math person and it lists the analysis per oz. I can't tell how much of each thing is really in a serving. My brain isn't functioning enough right now to try and do the math. I know it says a serving is one scoop, but what does that one scoop have in it?

GUARANTEED SPRINGTIME ANALYSISMSM, 99% (methyl sulfonyl methane)7,000 mg/ozGlucosamine HCL, 99% (shellfish extract)6,000 mg/ozCarrot powder5,000 mg/ozChondroitin sulfate, min. 90% purity (cartilage extract)4,000 mg/oz Ascorbic acid (vitamin C)3,000 mg/ozCitrus bioflavonoid complex, 40%1,875 mg/ozHesperidin, 95%1,100 mg/ozRutin (vitamin P)20 mg/ozIngredients: MSM (99%), glucosamine HCL (99%), carrot powder, chondroitin sulfate (min. 90% purity), ascorbic acid (vitamin C), citrus bioflavonoid complex (40%), hesperidin (95%), rutin (vitamin P).

DIRECTIONS
Enclosed scoop measures about 3,500 mg dry weight of Springtime Joint Health Formula. Serving size is at least one full scoop per 60 lb of body weight. Dose may be doubled during times of stress, or if faster, more dramatic benefits are desired. Larger doses are recommended for older dogs or dogs with infirmities.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know anything about safflower oil. Sorry. :( Does it have O3 or O6 in it? If she has arthritis, you really want to keep the O6 down. That increases inflammation if the ratio is off. I like to have my dogs no more than 3:1 (O6:O3). Flax seed oil has O3 in it but it is the ALA. It still might help but not as much as the EPA/DHA.
It's a linoleic acid.

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
ALL ABOUT OILS

According to this, that is O6. I would switch her to a an O3 oil such as flax. I'm sure she gets enough O6 in her diet from her food.

I use the joint chewables so I'm not much help with the powder. I think BowWowMeow feeds that though.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She would probably like flax better anyway. It has a nuttier flavor and she loves pb. I wonder if you could do flax seeds? I have those usually (I'm a vegetarian).
The Longevity looks pretty good if I can figure out what the dosing is. I know it says to give her 1.5ish scoops I find that most supplements seem to err on the low side of dosing for glucosamine. She obviously needs more that 500mg a day.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
You made me quote the wrong post!:) The link you posted about oils won't work. What site is it from and I'll check it out. I love how my profile says senior member and I really don't know anything. Very misleading to new members! ;)

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
:rofl: ooops!

From what I read of flax, once the oil is pressed, the O3 degrades quickly. But I don't know the amount of flax seeds she would have to eat to get the proper dosage. You would have to research that.

I started giving Jax a regular dosage of the joint supplement, down from a double dose, and I've noticed her favoring her left hip again. Before I increase it again, I want to take her back to the chiropractor to see what difference that makes.

As far as the O3 goes, I read a study where they found the fish oil had the same effect as giving rymadol (sp?).

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe I'll just try the fish oil again. It's possible I could have just had a bad bottle of it. Who knows? As for the springtime joint chewables, I'd have to give her at least 4 a day and I know she wouldn't go for that unless I buy greenies, but that would get really expensive. Maybe I'll just stick to the joint supplement I was giving her and try the fish oil again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts