German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! We're still about 4 weeks from getting our pup but my husband mentioned he wanted to put a sign on both our side vinyl gates saying something like "Dog in Yard, Keep Gate Closed". We do keep our gates closed and latched but just as a precautionary measure for others. Anyway, while looking for something on ebay I came across this one:
s-l500.jpg

It caught my attention because last year in my state there was a search effort in a neighborhood for a missing child and law enforcement entered a yard looking for the child and a Weimaraner lived there. The Weim was shot and killed by the officer. It was a big deal and very tragic. Now we wouldn't leave our dogs out without being home but they could still be out with us in the house and not knowing if someone is entering one of the side gates.

Thoughts on this sign anyone?

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I have to agree with Valerie.

I would be inclined to just have a sign by the latch that says "Do not Enter - Dog in Yard" , lock the gate, and leave it at that.

I don't leave my dogs outside if I cannot hear and respond immediately to their barking.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A puppy should never be left alone outside without supervision anyways, so no need to have anything on the gate this early in the game.

The sign seems overly dramatic to me.
I am not sure if I mis-worded my post but we do not/will not leave our dog or future puppy outside alone. We have a patio screen door that is always open and we can see our whole yard from the patio. They are not/will not be unsupervised.

We are planning on putting up a sign, just so visitors, even friends who know we have dogs, remember to keep the gates closed since our patio is like an extension of our home and we are out there a lot in the warmer months. I was just asking specifically if this sign was overkill or if a simple Dogs in Yard, Keep Gate Closed was just fine. It sounds like the opinion so far is that isn't necessary.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You guys on this site lol.. I think some of you missed the point.. OP never mention anything about leaving a puppy in the yard.... they want ppl to be aware they have a dog (may not now but they will) and don't enter [leave the gate closed]... I like it... I think the sign is just fine.. I put up 2 beware of dog signs when I first moved into my new home a few months ago and knew I wasn't going to have a puppy/dog for a few months... but the sign alone made ppl think twice

anyone that came by to either set up cable or internet etc. kept asking you sure you dont have a dog? i seen the sign lol

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I just think it is a bit confrontational with regards to LE and would have no "legal" status. Honestly, I don't even have a sign but I do keep my gates locked. They will bark if someone comes near the fence.

Bottom line. If a kid goes missing, they actually do have a legal right to enter your yard without permission. If the dog attacks, they will likely shoot. This is not to justify the "cop shoots dog" issues that blow up facebook - just a reality.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys on this site lol.. I think some of you missed the point.. OP never mention anything about leaving a puppy in the yard.... they want ppl to be aware they have a dog (may not now but they will) and don't enter [leave the gate closed]... I like it... I think the sign is just fine.. I put up 2 beware of dog signs when I first moved into my new home a few months ago and knew I wasn't going to have a puppy/dog for a few months... but the sign alone made ppl think twice

anyone that came by to either set up cable or internet etc. kept asking you sure you dont have a dog? i seen the sign lol
Yes! This! ^ We want a sign, even if to remind ourselves and maybe for a little warning to creepers, lol!

I just think it is a bit confrontational with regards to LE and would have no "legal" status. Honestly, I don't even have a sign but I do keep my gates locked. They will bark if someone comes near the fence.

Bottom line. If a kid goes missing, they actually do have a legal right to enter your yard without permission. If the dog attacks, they will likely shoot. This is not to justify the "cop shoots dog" issues that blow up facebook - just a reality.
Your bottom line is correct. It is a reality, extremely sad reality. I don't do facebook but can only imagine... When I saw the sign for sale on ebay it just made me think a little more about it and also our situation of getting a new puppy and how scary it would be if someone entered your yard and was threatened and did something awful. For some reason, I don't have this concern with our min pin. Maybe because she is litter box trained so she doesn't have to go out to potty and doesn't care much for spending any time outdoors unless we're out there holding her.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I like the sign and if this is what you want then you should get it. Personally I have a lock on my gate for the safety of my dogs and the neighborhood children. A sign will not prevent anyone from entering your yard. I have a sign on my front window so anyone coming to the door can read it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Personally I think a simple "Dog in yard, keep gate closed" would be enough. It would keep you from having to tell everyone multiple times to shut the gate. We do not have signs at our house. Unfortunately, the area we live and about a 50-100 mile radius, are tons of dog thefts. They use them as bait dogs or fighting. It's gotten better over the last few years, but still I do not want someone knowing there for sure is a dog in our yard. We live in a nice neighborhood with several LE that live on the street behind us. We keep the gate locked with a padlock and he stays inside while we are gone. Edit to add that he only stays outside while we are with him or we keep the back door open.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
We are planning on putting up a sign, just so visitors, even friends who know we have dogs, remember to keep the gates closed
If you want to put up a sign mostly to inform visitors and friends, then I would think something softer, more polite like "Please keep Gate Closed - dog in yard" would work.
Or something humorous like the sign karla posted above (love it!).

·
Registered
2,408 Posts

We keep the gates locked. The idea makes me mad, because to be totally frank, my dog is a higher priority to me. However, I know that this priority ranking is not shared by the world at large, so...locked gates.

I would certainly hope cops would knock on my door before entering the yard (you know, to ask if we'd seen the kid), but we keep the gate locked and the dog is never outside without one of us in close proximity.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the sign and if this is what you want then you should get it. Personally I have a lock on my gate for the safety of my dogs and the neighborhood children. A sign will not prevent anyone from entering your yard. I have a sign on my front window so anyone coming to the door can read it.
I have always wanted to get one of those signs for my front window that says "In event of fire, please save the dog" or whatever it says. I always thought it would serve the purpose of deterring creepers and maybe help in the event of an emergency but then if there is a fire, I doubt a firefighter is going to notice and read the signs on the window...

Personally I think a simple "Dog in yard, keep gate closed" would be enough. It would keep you from having to tell everyone multiple times to shut the gate. We do not have signs at our house. Unfortunately, the area we live and about a 50-100 mile radius, are tons of dog thefts. They use them as bait dogs or fighting. It's gotten better over the last few years, but still I do not want someone knowing there for sure is a dog in our yard. We live in a nice neighborhood with several LE that live on the street behind us. We keep the gate locked with a padlock and he stays inside while we are gone. Edit to add that he only stays outside while we are with him or we keep the back door open.
Oh my! How scary for you! I never thought about dog theft and the signs being more like an invitation. We don't have a known dog theft or dog fighting problem in our area but good to think about. My husband actually had a hunting dog taken from his yard before we were married so I guess it's a possibility...

Maybe use this one? Haha jk but if a kid is missing and policeman whatever is working on that...i think they will have to enter to your house without permission, maybe just have a normal sign that there's a dog inside of the house. Even just for new visitors...let them know...cable guy...etc haha
I love it!! It's lighthearted but still gets the point across in a way!
Thanks for posting it!

If you want to put up a sign mostly to inform visitors and friends, then I would think something softer, more polite like "Please keep Gate Closed - dog in yard" would work.
Or something humorous like the sign karla posted above (love it!).
I agree, I think that's the way to go too after reading everyone's thoughts and looking at other options. Something stating there could be a dog looking at you when you open the vinyl fence but also saying, 'hey, be respectful of us and our dogs and remember to keep the gate closed!' :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yea definitely not something I ever want to happen to us or anyone else! Several years ago, my cousin that lives 20-30 miles from me had her mini dachshund stolen. She lived in a very nice uppity neighborhood. There had been reports on the news about dog thefts that week. She hoped that someone had wanted him as a companion more than she, which was a lot because she loved that dog. Deep down she had a feeling that he might have been used for bait. I just don't see how anyone can treat animals like that. Seriously messed up people.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
My sign on the side gate says:

Dog on premises, enter by appointment only.

I don't have a GSD picture on the sign so he can't be targeted for theft. When I'm not home, my dog is inside.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea definitely not something I ever want to happen to us or anyone else! Several years ago, my cousin that lives 20-30 miles from me had her mini dachshund stolen. She lived in a very nice uppity neighborhood. There had been reports on the news about dog thefts that week. She hoped that someone had wanted him as a companion more than she, which was a lot because she loved that dog. Deep down she had a feeling that he might have been used for bait. I just don't see how anyone can treat animals like that. Seriously messed up people.
How awful! That poor baby getting taken from her family. People are messed up. :(

My sign on the side gate says:

Dog on premises, enter by appointment only.

I don't have a GSD picture on the sign so he can't be targeted for theft. When I'm not home, my dog is inside.
That's good wording too! Thanks for posting it!

·
Registered
125 Posts
On my property I keep gates locked with Beware of Dog sign and a No Soliciting sign. Those signs are on gates and doors to the house That combo of signs seems to work good for me. I never have anyone come around or knock on the door. It's not a very welcoming :)

I don't use the "keep gate/door closed". That kind of suggests to someone it might be okay to open the gate/door, but as long as they close it behind them.

Always a possibility of law enforcement might need to enter the property. The signs will not stop them but its nice to warn them. That and its warning to other first responders too.

I'm usually out with my dogs anyways and they are never left out where I'm not able to respond to barking should they start to alert of something. So overall its not really a concern for me as signs do not make a difference how I manage my dogs.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Use a padlock.

Do you think I want to lose goodwill between neighbors, or friends, or family members because one of them inadvertently left my gate open and my dog got turned into road pizza?

The possibilities really are endless. Lock your gate and then your pup will be safer. Remember that fenced yards are easier to breech (by the dog) than a kennel with a solid (concrete) base. For one thing, you have to continuously monitor your fencing and the ground around it. Yards can be dangerous for critters because we miss normal stuff that could be dangerous. Leaving the dog in a kennel when they are not supervised means no one is going to dig under the gate, or eat something thrown over the gate, tear through the fence, climb over the fence. And being right inside, well, 99% of the time people can go to the can and come back and everyone is still happy and good. It's the 1% that is when all the tragedies happen.

Here's a good one for you: how many times do we hear about someone letting their dog out into their secure yard, only to find the meter reader has come and gone and left the gate open -- this is what you are trying to avoid. Lock your gate. Padlock your gate. Because you let the dog out in the morning and then go to the kitchen to make a pot of coffee and get ready for the day, only to hear squealing wheels out front. It's a horrible thing to find your dog is gone. You can't take that shtuff back. Sometimes by the grace of God, you get your dog back when it is lost. But sometime it has half an ear, puncture wounds all over or the need for an amputated limb.

You feel awful for your pet and mad at everyone who might have had a hand in the incident, the driver of the car, the neighbor who left your gate open. At the end of the day it is OUR responsibility to keep our animals safe. Padlock your gate and do not let neighbors or friends be responsible for the safety of your pet.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I just keep my gate padlocked and have "Dog on Premises" and "No Trespassing" signs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts