German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Fawn

This pup was discarded in an alley thrown away like trash in her crate.

She has 26 teeth so estimated to be 6 weeks old when I took her to thr vet. But we are unsure of her breed. She has one rear dew claw and a long tail.

I upload photos to AI that finds almost exact photos that are either: German Shepherd, Rottweiler or Beauceron.

She is gaining a pound a week so far. But I have only had her a week. She was 7.5lbs and now 8.5 The vet said her fecal had no worms but coccidia. Which she has been treated for.

I did order a Wisdom panel kit and will do that as well. Just wondering what others thinks she looks like. She is very smart and doing great on pee pads. I have an adult GS and Malinois who are teaching her social behaviors. She was very bitey when I brought her home. Of course she is teething too. She wasn't sleeping through the night last week but now she is.

Photos are
When she was found (first one)
At vet the next day
And now a week later. I am holding her ear up in the last photo. I don't think photos are posting in order.
Dog Carnivore Sun hat Companion dog Sleeve

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Companion dog

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Grey Comfort

Dog Carnivore Fawn Dog breed Companion dog

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Dog supply Pet supply

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Companion dog

Dog Comfort Couch Dog breed Carnivore

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Ear Companion dog

Dog Carnivore Companion dog Dog breed Paw

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cute. I'm going with mix for sure but of what, I don't know. Did the wisdom panel check for health as well as breed? If not, can you cancel and get an Embark panel instead?
I can cancel it and get Embark. I think I ordered only the Breed Identification one. Is Embark better than Wisdom? Both do the health panel.

What she is will decide if I keep her. I don't want a mix because then I can't join the GS Club or the Rott Club. I want to do that with my next puppy.

Also breed ID is most important to me right now. Wisdom comes back the fastest.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Then you should find the puppy a home and find a good breeder. If the dog doesnt have a pedigree you can only enter as a mix or, in AKC, you can get a purebred listing if the dog is neutered.

The DNA test won't matter.
Not true it does matter. Because if she's a smaller breed mixed with a rottie I might keep her.

I have two 10 year old dogs. I can get one GS from a breeder.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
LOL That DNA test does not prove parentage and pedigree. As someone well versed in rescue, you should already know that. It will not matter for the purpose of an AKC GSD or Rottie club. You can only compete as a mixed breed or if the dog looks enough like a purebred, you may be able to get a PAL, purebred listing. Which, to be frank, you can do anyways as AKC clubs accept mixed dogs. If it's Schutzhund, again you can only enter as a mixed breed because there is no pedigree. You do you.
You're making an awful lot of assumptions. You're even bring kinda mean to be honest. I will do me because being true to ones self comes first.

1st) for someone who's been in rescue for over 20 years as I have I rescue dogs I don't buy them. Though I have many owner surrenders who come to me with papers many are also strays that do not.

2nd) I know diddily squat about AKC competitions because I rescue I don't buy and I don't compete. Rescuing for 20 years gives me little time to compete and I am also a single parent.

3rd) for once in my life I would like to pick my own dog as a puppy from a breeder. Yes buy a dog because after 20 years of rescuing I think I've earned a hall pass to do so.

I have gone through every heartache a German Shepherd can give you from DM to bad hips to megaesophagus. If I can prevent it I don't want to live through that ever again. I earned my stripes!

Jenna Mae was my first GS lost to hemangiosarcoma at 8yrs old. Ellie is my current picture she is now almost 10. Dutchess was my MegaE girl in my Album photos who also died after a good life but always remained special needs. Nala my Belgian Malinois though purbred and I have her papers she had 3 legs not quite ring material either. My son is in college now and my next dog will be one who also gives me a new hobby with training and possibly competing for fun.

To be honest with you I have no idea what a GS looks like at 6 weeks. I rescue adults. Not puppies. I have never been a puppy flipper type rescue. 🤷🏼‍♀️ but I did think this dog was perhaps a rott shep mix.

Regardless, I decided to rehome her. I took her in for a friend's rescue to socialize her with my other dogs. She is doing amazing well with housebreaking. But I decided today I do want a purebred GS that I pick out. I also am not sure I want to have multiple dogs anymore. I also have a pocket pal who is a 5lb Shih-tzu who can live easily another decade! Her father died at 18!

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you don’t mind having two young dogs at the same time, get a purebred as a second dog for sports and keep her. You are already attached.

She could be GSD and Rottie. I looked at Rottweiler puppy pictures and they have a higher, more pronounced forehead.
I really don't want a "shepweiler" I have already had a one. I have also owned a Rottweiler too. I am considering a purebred Rott or GS for my next puppy. She also is missing the markings on her muzzle that rotties have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts