German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for something that I know Batman is safe in and can't escape. Batman has become an expert crate flipper. He would be upside down everyday if I didn't put wood up against it. Sometimes he still can flip it withe the wood there, he has learned that the door pops off when he flips it. I need him to stay put and not commit doggie suicide by escaping and Apollo is out. Our crate and rotate is working well so far but summer is coming and the real seperation begins.

I keep going back to the crate I'm going to link below. It seems to have good reviews and seems solid. I'm looking at the extra large, which will be roomy for him, he is only about 50 pounds. I figure I can use it for any of the dogs if needed and hopefully for the price it lasts a while. Does anyone have this crate or have any experience with it?

GVDS Online - Products > By Brand > Details

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
That's a nice crate!!! One hundred pounds ... sounds heavy enough that he would have a hard time flipping it over. My late Niki was an escape artist ... I was a my wit's end trying to keep him in the house (he could get out of any crate I bought, unlock and open the windows and jump out into the yard). I honestly think from the description of it, your crate would have held him.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is your dog indoors or outdoors and is your yard fenced in if he is outside during the day?
Indoor dogs at all times, fenced yard all the way around. 3 different areas within the whole yard.

·
Registered
624 Posts
A crate shouldn't be necessary. If your home is big enough, the dog should get its own room. Even better than a crate and the cost is free.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
A crate shouldn't be necessary. If your home is big enough, the dog should get its own room. Even better than a crate and the cost is free.
Crates are very much necessary for some dogs. It is very much a safety issue for both the dog and environment or possibly other dogs.
This poster needs to be able to safely crate her dog because of the dynamics in her home and the behaviour of the dog in question.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crates are very much necessary for some dogs. It is very much a safety issue for both the dog and environment or possibly other dogs.
This poster needs to be able to safely crate her dog because of the dynamics in her home and the behaviour of the dog in question.
This exactly. I can take no chances when it comes to the safety of any of my dogs. When I'm not home I need to know that when I come home all dogs are in one piece. I wish it didn't have to be that way but it is and I'm willing to make a heavy investment to ensure safety.

I can't even imagine what would happen if I wasn't home after what happened between the two when I was there.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
If he is a flipper maybe treat the crate as one would a safe and bolt it to the floor or wall where flipping isn't possible.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He is a digger. He digs at the cage until it flips or the door pops open.

I need to find someone to put in this darn dog door, so he can be outside more.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I've heard great things from other working dog people about these crates.

Ruff Tough Kennels -

You can get these door attachments for even more stability -

Ruff Tough Kennels -
YES. We use these and they are awesome. Granted, we use them in the car, but I can see how they would be a good choice for an escape artist in the home. They are pretty heavy, though (which may be a good thing for a crate flipper), and they obviously can't fold down. If those things don't matter, it might be a good option to look at.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just to throw out another idea, my buddy had a digger and similar happened with his crated dog so he bolted it to the floor. That caused the dog to literally shred the floor under his crate (No clue how it got under the pan) So he instead bolted it to a piece of plywood that was 8-10 inches wider and longer than the crate keeping the dog from being able to roll it on the side and still be somewhat portable and easily taken apart with no damage to anything inside. Just an idea in the pot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We bought this crate two months ago and love it. Our German Shepherd could get out of our previous crate. This one...no way. Very solid. Easy to set up and break down. I wish we would have bought it sooner. Regards.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We bought this crate two months ago and love it. Our German Shepherd could get out of our previous crate. This one...no way. Very solid. Easy to set up and break down. I wish we would have bought it sooner. Regards.
Thank you. I needed to hear from someone that has it.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Thank you. I needed to hear from someone that has it.
The link you posted shows an Impact collapsible crate. I have one, and I posted a lot of thoughts about it on my blog - few positive ones. It would work okay as a stationary, in-home crate.

I just switched vehicles and will be going with a different setup in the new car. My 4-months old, 48" Impact collapsible XXL is for sale on the local Craigslist.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts